Thread: WINE and VB6 ocx will not load

Hyperactive Member

WINE and VB6 ocx will not load

Hello Group,

Looking for some insight here on how to proceed.

I was able to get the vb6 ide and compilers to run properly on WINE by using winecfg to make sure the native dlls were being used.

I am now trying to load my project and I have 3 third party ocx's and one of my own that will not load in the project. They all will regsvr32 properly in wine, but will not load into project. When I pick components->browse and point to the ocx in the system32 dir, I get the message ...ocx could not be loaded.

I have used depends.exe to see if any of the dependencies were missing and all are present, as well as the fact the regsvr32 returns successful.

I am attaching a zip with screen shots, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

PowerPoster

Re: WINE and VB6 ocx will not load

What about rewriting your own replacements for the H- and V-Sliders in VSlide32.ocx (as your own Private *.ctl's)
    (since that OCX probably has a dependency, which is not there or not playing properly with the WINE-environment).

Sliders are simple controls (far simpler than e.g. Scrollbars), which usually have a pretty lean Interface as well
    (Min, Max and Value-Props - as well as one or two Events - but that was it).

If you name the Public Props, Methods and Events of your own replacements exactly as in VSlide32.ocx,
    then switching over to these replacements in your existing code, should not cause many issues
    (e.g. when you do a simple renaming in the "Begin ..." sections of the *.vbp-Files, ones your replacements are ready.

Olaf

Hyperactive Member

Re: WINE and VB6 ocx will not load

Yes, that would be a solution, but one of the OCX is a custom 3d visualizer that is very complex to re-write. The funny thing is that control does work in an OLE container on a form in vb6 running on wine.

I guess what I was hoping for is some steps to be able to debug this issue?

It appears the issue is mainly with the component not being able to show up on the toolbox, since the 3d OCX was able to load in the OLE container frame.

Thanks