dcsimg

Thread: how to add desktop shortcut...

how to add desktop shortcut...

Hello Everyone -
    I am transitioning my windows application project from VS 2005 to VS 2017 Community. The project all works fine and I have used the publish wizard to create a setup.exe and the other files needed to install the program on the target machine. That all works as well.
    The only problem is that it doesn't create a desktop shortcut for the user to easily to run the program. In VS 2017 Community that I am using, there is a tick box under project properties, publish, options, manifests, 'create desktop shortcut', but that tick box is grayed out!
    So, my question is, can I automatically create a desktop shortcut or must I do it manually on the target machine?

Thanks

Re: how to add desktop shortcut...

What version of the Framework are you targeting? If you haven't changed it since the upgrade then that's probably the reason. I just searched online for "clickonce create desktop shortcut disabled" and found this where someone says:
    Looks like this is Framework dependent. Changing my target framework from 2.0 to 3.5 allowed me to check the create desktop icon.
    Mind you, you probably should have found that for yourself because you probably should have done that same search when you encountered the issue.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Resolved Re: how to add desktop shortcut...

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    What version of the Framework are you targeting? If you haven't changed it since the upgrade then that's probably the reason. I just searched online for "clickonce create desktop shortcut disabled" and found this where someone says:

Mind you, you probably should have found that for yourself because you probably should have done that same search when you encountered the issue.
    jmcilhinney you are a genius. You hit the nail on the head there. I changed the target framework fro 2.0 to 3.5 and it created the shortcut. Who would have thought that was framework dependent?
    Anyway, problem solved. Thanks.

Re: how to add desktop shortcut...

The feature only appeared in VS with 2008 SP1, which coincided with .NET 3.5. Presumably they built support for that feature into ClickOnce in that version. ClickOnce is part of the Framework, after all.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL