dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Reduced size custom cursor / pointer on high resolution monitors W10

Resolved [RESOLVED] Reduced size custom cursor / pointer on high resolution monitors W10

Hello,
    If I make a custom cursor in VB6 on my 4K screen or on my laptop in 2560 x 1440 under W10, without scale in the display settings (100%), the custom pointer appears extremely reduced. Here is a photo with an example with a icon of 32pixels (I used a button as a container because it's quick and easy):

Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  31.8 KB

Above, a photo on which we see in the button the normal size of the cursor and on the form the cursor as it appears on the screen.
    By the way, this problem also affects Word 2007 for all non-Windows pointers (including all those used to work on geometric shapes, but also the text position cursor). This problem also affects other softwares (see for example Labview forum).
    I have plenty of custom sliders in my app to manipulate shapes (Word-like: rotate, stretch, etc.) and it's a real problem on the big screen. All my tests to solve it were failures (By the way, the solutions using Windows settings (compatibility mode, high-DPI, etc.) don't work.)

Heeeeeelp! Would you like to help me find a solution?

Renaud

Re: Reduced size custom cursor / pointer on high resolution monitors W10

So, you are saying you expect to see a larger cursor on the smaller screen or expect to see a larger cursor on the bigger screen? From what I would expect, the system size of a cursor is not dependent on screen size, but on DPI settings.

Anyway, when you use VB to load a cursor, it is probably using LoadCursor API behind the scenes. That restricts the cursor size to system settings, DPI-adjusted as appropriate.

Might be worth trying LoadImage API which allows a custom size to be set. Haven't tested it myself to see if the custom size is ignored or not?
    Edited: If its size is still ignored, then you may have to use SetSystemCursor API after LoadImage creates the cursor.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Aug 10th, 2018 at 05:47 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HW_Renaud View Post
    Hello,
    If I make a custom cursor in VB6 on my 4K screen or on my laptop in 2560 x 1440 under W10, without scale in the display settings (100%), the custom pointer appears extremely reduced.
    I don't understand. In the condition that you described everything should appear "extremely reduced", not just a custom mousepointer.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    So, you are saying you expect to see a larger cursor on the smaller screen or expect to see a larger cursor on the bigger screen?
    Edited: If its size is still ignored, then you may have to use SetSystemCursor API after LoadImage creates the cursor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    I don't understand. In the condition that you described everything should appear "extremely reduced", not just a custom mousepointer.
    Thank you for your answers. I just want the same size cursor as the system cursor. Please see these two little screen record videos (640x480) : Bandicam.zip (One with VB6, one with Word 2007, where the text cursor is so tiny that it disapear.)

I will see how the SetSystemCursor API works.

(Sorry for my english mistakes.)

I solved it! The tip is to use a personnal scale factor in the Windows 10 display settings, with 100% factor !
    You need to deconnect/reconnect (or restart the computer) to see the effects.