dcsimg

Thread: VB6 dev environment running on UBUNTU and WINE Issues?

Hyperactive Member

VB6 dev environment running on UBUNTU and WINE Issues?

Hello Group,

I am setting aside a week to try to get my apps to run in WINE on Lunix. My initial test of just running the installer proved that there were many issues, one program started but did not behave correctly the other got to the splash screen and crashed.

So i moved to maybe debug in the Linux/WINE environment by installing vb6 ide on it, that took half a day as many accompanying .dlls and ocx's had to be installed etc.. via winecfg etc..

I finally got the vb6 ide to start , but now many more issues with loading my large projects.

Where I am stopped at now it vb6 ide not recognizing built in types as function arguments (mytexbox as Textbox) "get message in IDE that textbox is an undefined type. That is just my current stopping point.

Has anyone here loaded their large vb6 project in UBUNTU/WINE/VB6 and got it working. Is it something that would be possible? Is it just better to move parts of the project at a time? or maybe just move to Lazarus?

Any hints on this process would be greatly appreciated!

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 dev environment running on UBUNTU and WINE Issues?

I have this link for a long time. Maybe you should read it.
    https://www.jsware.net/jsware/vblinux.php5
    Carlos

Hyperactive Member

Thanks carlos read through it. right now it appears the level of complexity my app use /activex exe, threading, third party controls, openGL 3d, Video Mixing, etc does not lend itself to using wine...

Fanatic Member

Hi axisdj,

I've just successfully run jpbro's VbFCGI under Wine on Ubuntu. But all the installation and configuration work (such as installing Ubuntu, Wine, VNC, VB6-IDE and other auxiliary tools) was done by my friends, and he also took a long time and made a lot of attempts to make the VB6 software run normally on Ubuntu.

Since he successfully installed VB6-IDE under Wine, things have started to move in a very favorable direction because I can debug the source code in VB6-IDE. I debug the server-side code via the OutputDebugString API.

jpbro's VbFCGI uses Olaf's vbRichClient5. In addition to a small problem with RC5.FSO.ReadTextContent, RC5 works very well under Wine. I've solved this small problem by my own method, and now jpbro's VbFCGI works very well. Tomorrow I'll try Olaf's method, which is using native shlwapi.dll and oleaut32.dll to override the Wine DLLs.

I don't know much about Wine, but I'm very confident about it(because jpbro has been using it for more than 10 years). I don't know what reason you want to use wine. For me, I need to build a WebServer on Linux, so I have to use Wine. Now it seems that my choice is right.