Thread: Global Constants and Variables

Lively Member

Global Constants and Variables

There seems to be a lot of arguments over the use of Global variables in C# - I'm an 'old' programmer, so what I consider 'best practice' - or was 30yrs ago - has changed somewhat... hehe

I've read a bunch of posts on various forums, but most responses are a bit flippant - not offering a solution, just saying not to use globals - so I'll try to ask here

The application is a scientific one...I am looking for the 'best practice'

2 things (related) -

one - I have a bunch of constants - 200 or so - they are ACTUAL constants, not just programmatic ones - ergo unless the nature of the universe changes, they won't - I'm thinking one of these ideas, just not sure which

Code:
    class Constants
        {

// Idea #1
            public decimal hDensity { get;} = 1.1209381092831M;
    	//Idea #2
            public static decimal hDensity { get;} = 1.1209381092831M;
            //Idea #3
            public const decimal hDensity { get;} = 1.1209381092831M;
            //Idea #4
            public static decimal hDensity => 1.1209381092831M;
        }

//OR should I use a struct - Idea #5

struct TheConstants
    {
       // definitions
    }

SECOND - I have a bunch of user settings - not often changed, but.... (both UI related and mathematical stuff)

I was thinking of using a class or struct also - obviously with get/set this time - likely static.... (??) - and reading those values in from an XML file on launch - and writing to that XML file when needed (I may also include some min/max data in the XML file to limit appropriately the allowable values...

I know I can make this work.... but is it the 'best' and/or proper way??? and which ideas are 'proper'

There was a suggestion to use a db (e.g. access) - I really don't like that idea - too much overhead I think for something needed 99.9% of the time ONLY at app launch....

I appreciate this - I assume there have been similar questions, but the ones I've read so far don't seem to be answered seriously (if I can say that)

Cheers.... Scott

Re: Global Constants and Variables

Static class with proper public constants:

Code:
    static class Constants
    {
        public const double Pi = 3.14159;
        public const int SpeedOfLight = 300000; // km per sec.

}
    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Global variables are bad (because one part of the project can accidentally affect another), but Global constants don't have that problem because they cannot change. Global constants are a good idea if they are needed by more than one file in the project.

The code would be something like:
    Code:
    static class Constants
    {
        public const decimal hDensity = 1.1209381092831M;
        public const int answerToEveryThing = 42;
    }
    ...and the usage would be to simply refer to them (without creating an instance of the class), eg:
    Code:
      myValue = 3 * Constants.hDensity;

For your user settings, look in to the built-in Settings options (you set the initial values in the project properties). I'm afraid I don't have an example handy.

Lively Member

Perfect..... That was the answer I was looking for...

My confusion was due to an evolution in terminology since the 'old' days.... and perhaps the fact that we didn't actually have a 'constant' type and as such the term variable applied pretty much to everything.... (long before HHGTTG)

I'm comfortable using class as well - I understand there are some memory handling differences between class and struct, but it doesn't seem to important in my case

I'll follow your hint on the other as well -

Again - thanks.... sometimes it just takes the right words to lift a wack of confusion... simple or not...
    Last edited by ssampson; Aug 9th, 2018 at 09:14 PM.

enums are a good choice as well. My coworkers are fond of them because you see a name instead of a number
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    enums are a good choice as well. My coworkers are fond of them because you see a name instead of a number
    Enums are great for what they're for but it doesn't really sound like they would be appropriate here. An Enum is supposed to represent a valid range of options for a single value. It would not be appropriate to use an Enum for the types of things that constants should be used for, e.g. Math.PI is a constant and could not be appropriately represented using an Enum.