Thread: Updating or Insert Into has me confused

Hybrid View

Hyperactive Member

Updating or Insert Into has me confused

On a forms first use how do I know If I'm Inserting Into Or Updating the first use? I know there is an easy answer to this but its evading me.

Thanks

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Updating or Insert Into has me confused

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying you want to update a record if it exists? Otherwise Insert it? If so there are basically three ways of doing it:-
    1. Issue a select statement for the record and either update or insert based on whether you get a result.
    2. Issue an Update then check if any records were affected (e.g. by checking @@Rowcount). If no rows were affected issue an Insert.
    3. Use an Upsert. Different databases have different Syntaxes for this. SQL Server's, for example, is the merge Statement.

Or are you saying you want to know if you application form is in "Insert" or "Update" mode? In which case you need to track that yourself in the application. We'd need to know a lot more about your application before we could make any suggestions for this.

Or are you asking something else?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Hyperactive Member

I BELIEVE THIS IS MY ANSWER
    # 2. Issue an Update then check if any records were affected (e.g. by checking @@Rowcount). If no rows were affected issue an Insert.

THANKS

Yes - that is a valid technique

Code:
    Update AWCUserSalt_T Set PasswordSalt=@PasswordSalt Where UserId=@UserId
    If @@RowCount=0 Insert into AWCUserSalt_T values (@UserId, @PasswordSalt, GetDate())

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008