Thread: Can I get rid of this short freeze when clicking the form?

Can I get rid of this short freeze when clicking the form?

Hi,

The problem can quickly be illustrated by creating a new project with
    - A Label field
    - A Timer control with interval =50 and Enabled = true

The only piece of code is this:

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    Label1.Caption = Rnd()
    End Sub

When you run the program the label field will update with random numbers in 20 Hz.

But when I left click the forms titlebar and keep the mouse button pressed as to move the form, the application pauses for 200-500 milliseconds.
    Then (with the mouse button still pressed) it starts running at 20 Hz again. No further delays can be observed as I move the form around.

What is causing this short initial freeze and can it be avoided?

PS: I'm running on Windows 10

BR
    LeifMB

Re: Can I get rid of this short freeze when clicking the form?

Welcome to the forum

See if this also occurs when the sample project is compiled. It may. But timer controls behave slightly differently when app compiled and not
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Welcome to the forum

See if this also occurs when the sample project is compiled. It may. But timer controls behave slightly differently when app compiled and not
    It does.

My actual program is a "realtime" Simulator where I see output delays whenever the user need to move the form around. This is causing all sorts of problems for the program I'm feeding data. Pretty annoying.

I've noticed one thing though:
    If I immediately start dragging the form after clicking it, the delay looks to be shorter (or gone). It's only when I click and hold the button a short while before starting to move the form I have the problem.

BR
    LeifMB

Hi leifmb,

Yes, welcome to VBForums.

Hmmm, we just recently had a discussion about this, but I can't seem to quickly find it. It was about moving a form around by dragging the title-bar, and how that pauses everything else.

Leifmb, what we must remember is that VB6 is always single-threaded in terms of execution (without jumping through some relatively high hoops). And this is inclusive of what windows wants to do in conjunction with our application (i.e., deal with Windows' non-client areas such as the title-bar and/or resizing bars).

I'm on Win10 1803, and I just tried your little example. And just to be clear, you said 20Hz, so I set the timer at an interval of 50 (1000/20). And I get exactly what you said (both IDE and compiled). When I left-click-hold, I get a short pause and then the timer resumes. When I right right-click-hold, the timer freezes until I release. This is a guess, but apparently, when I left-click-hold, Windows goes into some short loop (taking the thread) to verify a few things and waiting to see what the user is going to do. And apparently, on a right-click-hold, Windows just keeps the thread in some loop until the user makes a decision.

As I see it, there are only a couple of ways to solve this problem: 1) you could jump through the high-hoops to spawn another thread in your application that deals with your timer (or whatever) needs. This second thread wouldn't be affected by the first thread's activities (or, at least not significantly). In the other thread (that I can't find), we discussed a couple of different multi-threading approaches. The Trick (one of our members) has one approach. Krool (another of our members) has outlined another approach. There are others as well, but this is not something to be undertaken lightly.

2) You could also eliminate the "Windows" title-bar (and also possibly make the form non-sizable) from your form. And, if you need to drag it around, you could build your own title-bar and build your own dragging procedures. With your own dragging procedures, you could make sure that you don't trap the thread in a loop (the idea way of doing it), or you could place a DoEvents in the loop your build (a less desirable way to do it). You could also just design a way to drag the form around by any gray-space, rather than requiring a title-bar. I've posted one approach for doing this in the CodeBank.

Best Of Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

If you click the form's titlebar there is (assumption) an inner loop for DragDetect API.
    The VB.Timer might be 'EventsFrozen'.

You can try out an interface driven API timer. It even executes when modal MsgBox is displayed.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...imer-interface

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    If you click the form's titlebar there is (assumption) an inner loop for DragDetect API.
    The VB.Timer might be 'EventsFrozen'.

You can try out an interface driven API timer. It even executes when modal MsgBox is displayed.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...imer-interface
    I'm afraid the included CTimerDemo project shows the same behaviour.

I have looked at a few Multi thread examples, but haven't found something that can easily be used as a template for my program.
    I will need a data processing thread and one GUI thread. And I will need to be able to pass data to the GUI for display and receive commands/settings back.

I found this post by Schmidt who uses an in memory SQLite database to pass data between threads, but I'm not sure if it's right for me though.
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-ThreadHandler

The tip with hiding the Title bar can be a good workaround. I'll send some more time looking for the right "dual" thread example first, but if that comes up short, I'll try to hide the Title bar.

BR
    LeifMB

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by leifmb View Post
    I have looked at a few Multi thread examples, but haven't found something that can easily be used as a template for my program.
    I will need a data processing thread and one GUI thread. And I will need to be able to pass data to the GUI for display and receive commands/settings back.

I found this post by Schmidt who uses an in memory SQLite database to pass data between threads, but I'm not sure if it's right for me though.
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-ThreadHandler

The tip with hiding the Title bar can be a good workaround. I'll send some more time looking for the right "dual" thread example first, but if that comes up short, I'll try to hide the Title bar.

BR
    LeifMB
    Try this multithreading out.
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ultithreading)
    The DLL can be used regfree by side by side manifest.
    It's quite simple and easy to communicate between worker thread and GUI thread.

Sinecure devotee

Yes, this is a Windows thing. I first noticed it about nine years ago when I was working on my first VB.Net program, using VS2005. I had to regularly update some external hardware with a message at a minimum of 50hz. So, I knew the timer would run at 64hz with an interval set to 15 ms or less, so figured I was good to process and send the data from the timer at 64hz, give or take. But, definitely, if the user mousedowned on the titlebar and didn't move quickly enough (I suspected it was related to double-click wait period, to see if you double clicked and it should maximize or restore the Form's size). If you dragged quick enough, it knew you weren't going to double-click so the timer continued quickly. But if you didn't move the mouse, it paused everything for around 400ms was my calculation.

Fortunately, it was easy to create a background thread in .Net to handle the processing and sending of the message, so that took care of the issue.

Creating a secondary thread in VB6 should also fix the issue, I assume.
    It won't prevent the GUI thread from hanging for that 400ms period, but at least your processing is being done.
    If you try your test case, the label should still pause I think, since the GUI thread is hung, but then the label value should jump to the correct number as the counter should have continued incrementing in the second thread during that period.
    Last edited by passel; Aug 6th, 2018 at 10:59 AM.

Try this multithreading out.
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ultithreading)
    The DLL can be used regfree by side by side manifest.
    It's quite simple and easy to communicate between worker thread and GUI thread.
    Thanks. I have the demo project running and my first observation is that the progress bar stops updating if I left click (and hold) the title bar?
    In this case I would assume the background worker kept running and as soon as the GUI was freed (by releasing mouse button) the progress bar would jump a few bars to catch up for the missing updates. But it doesn't. It just continues from where it was left off....
    But maybe the GUI updates the bar relatively and not absolutely?

In order to understand the threading concept I think I'll have to throw out all the common controls stuff and replace the progress bar with my random label or similar. Right now there is too much overhead to really see what is going on.

BR
    LeifMB

PowerPoster

Thanks. I have the demo project running and my first observation is that the progress bar stops updating if I left click (and hold) the title bar?
    In this case I would assume the background worker kept running and as soon as the GUI was freed (by releasing mouse button) the progress bar would jump a few bars to catch up for the missing updates. But it doesn't. It just continues from where it was left off....
    But maybe the GUI updates the bar relatively and not absolutely?

In order to understand the threading concept I think I'll have to throw out all the common controls stuff and replace the progress bar with my random label or similar. Right now there is too much overhead to really see what is going on.

BR
    LeifMB
    I have a possible solution:

The 'BackgroundProcedure' is the worker thread and it calls 'StatusCallback' which is the GUI thread where the progress bar is set and there it hungs up when you drag form.

Solutions:
    1. Make a PostMessage to some Window in the worker thread and as soon the subclassed GUI window is responsive it catches up
    2. Try to set the progress bar directly in the worker thread. (Though not recommended)

I have a possible solution:

The 'BackgroundProcedure' is the worker thread and it calls 'StatusCallback' which is the GUI thread where the progress bar is set and there it hungs up when you drag form.

Solutions:
    1. Make a PostMessage to some Window in the worker thread and as soon the subclassed GUI window is responsive it catches up
    2. Try to set the progress bar directly in the worker thread. (Though not recommended)
    My background worker is now running like clockwork at 50 Hz. I've confirmed it's not affected by any GUI hang ups through a number of tests. This looks pretty solid.
    But I'm unable to refresh the GUI with the left mouse button clicked. The standard Timer control does refresh the form during dragging, although it had this first initial freeze which was my original question. Right now my Multi Threaded project is not an initial freeze, but a permanent one.... (while dragging that is)

I tried method 2 as pr your suggestion above. Not sure how to go about with method 1.

Also tried to add the standard timer on the MainForm as a GUI refresher since that worked before, but it's no longer working.
    A few DoEvents and MainForm.Refresh here and there has also not helped

BR,
    Leif Morten

PowerPoster

leifmb,

Method 2 is not recommended.
    Can you share an encapsulated demo showing your issue?
    I can try around and also show you then per reply demo with method 1 usage.

Sinecure devotee

In vb.net they have a BufferedGraphics object which can be used to update an area of the screen from any thread, so I use that when I want to update something continuously and not do that hangup when you click on the titlebar.

Perhaps in VB6, if you do your own drawing using api calls, probably a couple of bitblts to do a progress bar, to the hdc of a picturebox (with AutoRedraw set false) from the background thread, you can update that area of the screen in a similar manner from the background thread without causing the main thread (GUI) from having an issue.

Fanatic Member

I have the same problem, but solved.

Code:
    Private Function ISubclass_WindowProc(ByVal hwnd As Long, _
                                          ByVal iMsg As Long, _
                                          ByVal wParam As Long, _
                                          ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
    Const HTCAPTION    As Long = 2&
    Const HTMINBUTTON  As Long = 8&
    Const HTMAXBUTTON  As Long = 9&
    Const HTCLOSE      As Long = 20&

Dim Window_Rect    As RECT
    Dim MousePoint     As POINTAPI

Static DragActive  As Boolean
    Static Start_X     As Long
    Static Start_Y     As Long
    Static Window_Left As Long
    Static Window_Top  As Long
    '--------------------------------------------------

Select Case iMsg

Case WM_LBUTTONUP
            ReleaseCapture
            DragActive = False

Case WM_MOUSEMOVE
            If DragActive Then
                GetCursorPos MousePoint
                SetWindowPos Me.hwnd, 0, _
                   Window_Left + (MousePoint.X - Start_X), _
                   Window_Top + (MousePoint.Y - Start_Y), _
                   0, 0, _
                   SWP_NOSIZE Or SWP_NOZORDER Or SWP_ASYNCWINDOWPOS
            End If

Case WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN
            Select Case wParam

Case HTCAPTION
                    SetCapture Me.hwnd

GetWindowRect Me.hwnd, Window_Rect
                    GetCursorPos MousePoint

DragActive = True
                    Start_X = MousePoint.X
                    Start_Y = MousePoint.Y
                    Window_Left = Window_Rect.Left
                    Window_Top = Window_Rect.Top

Case HTMINBUTTON
                    Me.WindowState = vbMinimized

Case HTMAXBUTTON
                    Select Case Me.WindowState
                        Case vbNormal: Me.WindowState = vbMaximized
                        Case vbMaximized: Me.WindowState = vbNormal
                    End Select

Case HTCLOSE
                    IsUnloading = True
                    Unload Me

End Select

End Select

End Function

Sinecure devotee

I guess that solves it by forcing it into drag mode immediately. Does that disable the capability of double-clicking on the titlebar to maximize or restore the form's size?

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    I guess that solves it by forcing it into drag mode immediately. Does that disable the capability of double-clicking on the titlebar to maximize or restore the form's size?
    No, that still works.
    Here is something to play with:
    Drag titlebar.zip

Rem:
    That approach was not my idea.
    I don't remember who it was.

leifmb,

Method 2 is not recommended.
    Can you share an encapsulated demo showing your issue?
    I can try around and also show you then per reply demo with method 1 usage.
    Attachment 160851Attachment 160851

I just noticed the compiled version will update while the form is dragged! I was previously running it in the IDE.
    It still has this short initial freeze which I believe is a Windows thing, but I can work with that since the background worker looks unaffected.

I have attached the project in case someone is interested. The DLL project is not included as it's unchanged from the original demo.

But before I head off on my own, I have one last question:
    Can you explain the mechanics behind Argument1 and Argument2 in the callback procedure?

BR
    Leif MB
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Karl77 View Post
    No, that still works.
    Here is something to play with:
    Drag titlebar.zip

Rem:
    That approach was not my idea.
    I don't remember who it was.
    Interesting... Your code updates while the form is stationary (left click and hold) but shows signs of freezing when I start moving it around?
    Sort of opposite of my initial problem.

Anyway, now that the Krool code looks to work for me, I'll go with that.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

BR
    LeifMB

Fanatic Member

Interesting... Your code updates while the form is stationary (left click and hold) but shows signs of freezing when I start moving it around?
    I can't see that here... for me it works ok.

Anyway, now that the Krool code looks to work for me, I'll go with that.
    Good you have a working solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl77 View Post
    I can't see that here... for me it works ok.

Good you have a working solution!

I've double checked in my end. It's lagging both in the IDE and when compiled, although much more apparent in the IDE.
    Try dragging the form slowly horizontally while in the IDE.
    PS: My computer isn't super fast.

PowerPoster

I just noticed the compiled version will update while the form is dragged! I was previously running it in the IDE.
    It still has this short initial freeze which I believe is a Windows thing, but I can work with that since the background worker looks unaffected.

I have attached the project in case someone is interested. The DLL project is not included as it's unchanged from the original demo.

But before I head off on my own, I have one last question:
    Can you explain the mechanics behind Argument1 and Argument2 in the callback procedure?
    In the IDE the DebugMode will be set to True, which means that there is no multithreading in place as this is risky in IDE.

The StatusCallback is the interface to switch between worker thread and GUI thread.
    I used now method 1 but without PostMessage instead with a VB.Timer. The worker thread sets at begin via StatusCallback the Timer on and at end off.
    The Timer event will set the Label1.Caption (when responsive but that doesn't matter)
    Also the Timer will use the shared variable from the worker thread. So when the GUI thread hangs the worker will still increment the variable and then when the GUI thread is responsive again will catch up accordingly.

Attached is the edited version (and recommended way)
    Last edited by Krool; Aug 15th, 2018 at 02:34 AM. Reason: remove attach to save upload limit

Hi again,

Thanks for the example with the Timer control. I think I understand enough now to get moving on my real project.
    But before I do that I would appreciate if you could have a quick look at my updated demo project (attached).

My real project is a navigation simulator and I have added 2 slider controls for heading and rate-of-turn to reflect some of what I'm doing there.

I use your Timer control to update the GUI and I use the slider control events to update parameters used by the background worker.
    It looks like the system is working as intended. Both sliders can be used dynamically and the updates and values look good.

Is this an acceptable way of handling the two way GUI interaction (read and write) or do you see any problems with this approach?

BR,
    LeifMB
    VBMultiThread3.zip

PowerPoster

leifmb, yes looks all ok.

Hi Again,

I've ran into another problem when I try to extend the functionality of the demo simulator...

I use a winsock replacement library called CSocktMaster in order to transmit the simulated data.
    The Background worker must be able to transmit data while the form is frozen, but right now my socket freezes with the form.

An updated demo is attached. This runs a TCP server on port 8888. Use i.e. putty.exe to test.
    (NB: CSocketMaster doesn't like 127.0.0.1, use your proper IP in putty.exe when connecting or else it will not work)

Once running right click and hold the title bar - this will freeze the form and the socket output. You will see putty stop updating.

I guess one solution could be to look for another networking component, but CSocketMaster is what I have always been using.
    Any chance of getting this to work without freezing with the form?

I'm thinking the event handling of CSocketMaster needs to be moved out of the main form, but not sure how to do that.

PS: I made slight modification to the gui update timer. It's now self disabling. I just enable it through the callback the end of each system update. It will then trigger at first opportunity to redraw the gui, then disable itself until next update. This should according to my understanding lead to faster updates and less overhead compared to running the timer permanently at 10 or 20 Hz.

VBMultiThread4.zip

PowerPoster

You need to create a New CSocketMaster instance within BackgroundProcedure.

You need to create a New CSocketMaster instance within BackgroundProcedure.

Not having much luck....
    Still freezes in IDE and compiled version crashes. Buggy version attached.

Can I "dim withevents" in the main form? Won't that "tie" the SocketMaster object to the form?
    Can I move the events handling to the background procedure? If so how?

VBMultiThread5.zip

Attachment 160967

PowerPoster

In IDE there is only 1 thread as .DebugMode is True. Do not count how it runs in the IDE.
    You can create a new class, e.g. CSocketMasterWrapper which you Dim As New in the background procedure.
    In the wrapper class you then can declare a Private WithEvents.

In IDE there is only 1 thread as .DebugMode is True. Do not count how it runs in the IDE.
    You can create a new class, e.g. CSocketMasterWrapper which you Dim As New in the background procedure.
    In the wrapper class you then can declare a Private WithEvents.
    Thank you for your suggestion. My problem is that I have absolutely no experience in working with classes.
    I'm keen to learn though so I have made an initial attempt (see attachment) but the IDE say "Cannot handle events for the object specified"

Any pointers from here would be greatly appreciated.

BR
    LeifMB

PowerPoster

Please adapt the CSocketMasterWrapper as following:
    Code:
    Option Explicit
    Private WithEvents socket As CSocketMaster

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
        socket = New CSocketMaster
    End Sub

Private Sub Class_Terminate()
        socket = Nothing
    End Sub

'Wrapped Events
    Private Sub socket_CloseSck()
    socket.CloseSck
    End Sub

Private Sub socket_ConnectionRequest(ByVal requestID As Long)
    socket.CloseSck
    socket.Accept requestID
    End Sub

'Wrapped Properties
    Public Property Get Protocol() As Long
        Protocol = socket.Protocol
    End Property

Public Property Let Protocol(Protocol As Long)
        socket.Protocol = Protocol
    End Property

Public Property Get State() As Long
        State = socket.State
    End Property

'Wrapped functions
    Public Sub Bind(Optional LocalPort As Variant, Optional LocalIP As Variant)
        Call socket.Bind(LocalPort, LocalIP)
    End Sub

Public Sub Listen()
        Call socket.Listen
    End Sub

Public Sub SendData(Data As Variant)
        Call socket.SendData(Data)
    End Sub

Public Sub CloseSck()
    socket.CloseSck
    End Sub

Hi,

I have updated my project with your code, but I get an "object variable or With block variable not set" error when I try to run it.

When I create my wrapped socket object in the background worker with this
    Code:
    Set WrappedSocket = New CSocketMasterWrapper
    It will first call CSocketMaster Class_Initialize() which looks to complete successfully, but then CSocketMaster Class_Terminate()
    is called immediately following this?

BR,
    LeifMB

PowerPoster

leifmb,

please remove im Form code red marked
    Code:
    Public DialogClosed As Boolean
    Public WrappedSocket As CSocketMasterWrapper
    and include green marked
    Code:
            Case "BackgroundWorker"
                Dim IsDebugMode As Boolean
                IsDebugMode = Data.DebugMode

'Always access VB controls in a sync callback.
                'StatusCallback.Raise True

If Data.CancellationPending = False Then

'Setup our socket object
                    Dim WrappedSocket As CSocketMasterWrapper

leifmb,

please remove im Form code red marked
    Code:
    Public DialogClosed As Boolean
    Public WrappedSocket As CSocketMasterWrapper
    and include green marked
    Code:
            Case "BackgroundWorker"
                Dim IsDebugMode As Boolean
                IsDebugMode = Data.DebugMode

'Always access VB controls in a sync callback.
                'StatusCallback.Raise True

If Data.CancellationPending = False Then

'Setup our socket object
                    Dim WrappedSocket As CSocketMasterWrapper
    Hi Krool,

Thanks, but unfortunately I get the same error as before. Did you manage to run it?
    My latest version is attached.

Can it be that I need to extend my wrapper class? I haven't wrapped up everything, only what I believe is in use.

BR
    Leif MB

Edit: Corrected the included example
    Last edited by leifmb; Aug 16th, 2018 at 04:24 AM.

Hi Again,

I'm still struggling with this project.

My wrapped CSocketMaster class works fine in the IDE, but the compiled version crashes for no obvious reason.
    It looks like I've come to a dead end here. There must be a conflict between the VBMThread concept and the subclassing of CSocketMaster?

I believe my wrapper is correct. I've even made separate test program for that and it works both in the IDE and compiled.

Is there any other Multi Thread approach I could try in order to get my socket running in a a background process independent of the GUI thread?

BR
    LeifMB

PowerPoster

potential issue - modSocketMaster creates an API window using App.hInstance. Maybe you could use GetModuleHandle(0) instead.