Thread: Issue with MS Chart 3.5 version on Windows 10 computer

Hybrid View

Issue with MS Chart 3.5 version on Windows 10 computer

Using Vs 2017, I have downloaded the MS Chart control version 3.5. My problem is I can not access it from the Toolbox.
    My project is for .net framework 3.5.
    Even when I add reference of the ms chart 3.5 from within the MS Chart Directory under program Files (x86).......

The toolbox will only show me version 4.0

How do I get the 3.5 version of the MS Chart control onto my project?

any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Re: Issue with MS Chart 3.5 version on Windows 10 computer

If you want to add items to the Toolbox you need to start by right-clicking the section you want to add to and select 'Choose Items...'. You then navigate to the library containing the component(s) you want. Things don't just show up automatically in the Toolbox when you install them unless the installer specifically includes that functionality.

Mr. Jmcilhinney, thank you. However, the version 4.0 is the only version it recognizes. I have the 3.5 version, I know where it is installed, but VS 2015 does not select it. Am I doing something wrong.

thank you

Mr. Jmcilhinney, thank you. However, the version 4.0 is the only version it recognizes. I have the 3.5 version, I know where it is installed, but VS 2015 does not select it. Am I doing something wrong.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by e0054606 View Post
    Am I doing something wrong.
    How would I know that if I don't know what you're doing?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    How would I know that if I don't know what you're doing?

My Mistake
    i have a video that is 1.94 MB, but VB Forums has a limitation on it. can you send me your email address?

thank you

You don't need a video of any length. You just need to write words explaining the steps you're taking and what you see or don't see at each step. Add screenshots if you think that will help but don't shoot the whole screen when all that's of interest is one small part of it.

ok, here are my steps

thanks for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just tried the same steps you did and I got the same result. On a whim, I decided to drag the DLL file from File Explorer and drop it on the Toolbox. Lo and behold, the Chart control in that DLL appeared in the Toolbox. I've never actually done it that way before but it's certainly convenient and appears to work in this case where the more laborious approach failed for I don't know what reason.

Hmmm... maybe I spoke too soon. I moused over the Toolbox item and it showed v4 and I got a version warning when trying to add it to a page. Maybe it's just not supported in VS 2017.

Just tried the same thing in VS 2015 and got the same result. I'm really not sure what the story is.

Here's a bit of a workaround that you may be able to use. I haven't tested it fully but I got a project to build after using it at least.

1. Drag a Chart control from the Toolbox onto your page. If the Chart control is not visible/enabled in the Toolbox, drag the .NET 3.5 DLL from File Explorer and drop it onto the General section at the bottom of the Toolbox.
    2. When you receive the warning about a version issue, add the control anyway.
    3. Open the References page of the project properties.
    4. Select the System.Web.DataVisulaization reference and click Remove.
    5. Add a reference to the .NET 3.5 version of System.Web.DataVisulaization.dll and set Copy Local to True.
    6. Change any instances of "System.Web.DataVisualization, Version=4.0.0.0" to "System.Web.DataVisualization, Version=3.5.0.0" in the Web.config file and the ASPX file of your page.

Once you've done that, your project should build. Whether you need to do more to get it to run, I don't know. For instance, I got this:
    System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Invalid temp directory in chart handler configuration [c:\TempImageFiles\].
    From what I'm reading, you would also need to run the same installer on the web server that you ran to get that Chart control in the first place. That may not be an option if you don't control the server yourself.