dcsimg

Thread: Suggestions for how this might be better on a mobile device

Suggestions for how this might be better on a mobile device

I'm working on a really simple HTML input form for college room inventory. The direction I was headed in looks like the attached image - and that works fine on a PC.

On a phone - not so nice. The DROP DOWN's when tapped show as "three radio buttons". And I would need to somehow make the "input" boxes appear under each item/drop down.

Are there better HTML elements to use in this situation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: Suggestions for how this might be better on a mobile device

Are you using <select> tags for the dropdowns?
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

[edit] yes - those were in SELECT's - now RADIO BUTTON on the mobile version of the HTML [/edit]

Actually this weekend I went down the rabbit hole of mobile re-sizing and am now "detecting" the mobile device (via the useragent string) - then using the META VIEWPORT tag... Enhanced my web app to pull different HTML based on that mobile fact and I'm using a jQuery BUTTONSET (wrapper around radio buttons). I've got a bit more pretty work to do but it's functioning now with these HTML elements.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

The meta view port tags are great for having different views for a mobile site.

Also Flexbox works great to, its just a CSS3 tag that you apply to Div's and they become flexible containers, which resize themselves and there children if you set them up right.

As Flexbox is a flexible container, it resizes itself and you can go from a view of having 3 columns side by side on a desktop device, to have a single column on a mobile device without changing anything, it just resizes itself depending on the screen space.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you