Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automatic Double Posts Since Upgrade

Re: Automatic Double Posts Since Upgrade

Mods don't get that delay, so I have to delete my double post on almost any post....except in Chit-Chat. At this point, I don't believe I have ever seen a double post in Chit-Chat. The one place it doesn't matter is the one place it doesn't happen. Funny thing, that. Still, it sure seems like a clue.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Has there been any progress on this? Every post is followed by a delete, for me, and cleaning up duplicates for others is pretty common, too...though most don't get reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Has there been any progress on this? Every post is followed by a delete, for me, and cleaning up duplicates for others is pretty common, too...though most don't get reported.
    test
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

I sent in a reminder a couple of days ago and haven't heard back.

I noted an earlier post that suggested the duplication was due to code tags. Interestingly, I had yet to see a single duplicate post in Chit-Chat, not even in Post Race, which is mostly drivel to begin with. Therefore, I set about to change that. The samples are in Post Race, but here are the results:

1) Any post that had the formatted code tags (the VB button) would duplicate, even if those tags were inside other tags like the QUOTE tags.
    2) The unformatted code tags (# button) do not duplicate.
    3) Quote tags do not duplicate.
    4) Link tags do not duplicate.

Now, I never use the VB button, normally, as I tend to use the # button (to save two key strokes....those are important, you know...you only have so many in your life), but I get duplicates most of the time in the non-Chit Chat threads. In CC, I have yet to see duplicates until I deliberately trigger them by use of the VB button. It can't be JUST that, because duplicates are just too common.

I also noted that I could tell when a duplicate was coming before I saw it. There would be a bit more of a pause, and a whole lot more of those PHP errors would show up. Perhaps there weren't really more. It's entirely possible that they were there all along, and the longer pause just allowed me to see them before they vanished.

This may be the first time that the Post Race was ever used for anything useful....if only marginally so.

test2 Code:
    1. test

Sinecure devotee

I have posts duplicate quite often, even without quotes or code snippets. But, I think they are posts where I've taken some time to complete the edit, so might be tied to the autosave reply function being kicked off.

{Although, I saw the Auto-Save "balloon" pop-up shortly before completing this post, and it didn't double post when submitted}.

I believe that the PHP messages shown at the top of the form are part of the same issue with the double posts.

Over in the Post Race, I found that for every page that has a duplicate post showing on it, there are two PHP messages, though all the PHP messages appear to be the same. This appears to be based on the page, not the thread. So, on one page I had one duplicate and had two PHP errors showing. On the next page, between DDay and I, there were 6 duplicate posts, and I saw 12 PHP error messages. szlamany confirmed my count of 12 PHP errors, so I added a seventh duplicate (they can be caused at will in the Post Race, as noted earlier), and there are now 14 PHP errors showing up on that page.

I am seeing one PHP error on this page, but there are no duplicates visible. Perhaps there was a duplicate, and it was removed.

I believe that the PHP messages shown at the top of the form are part of the same issue with the double posts.

Over in the Post Race, I found that for every page that has a duplicate post showing on it, there are two PHP messages, though all the PHP messages appear to be the same. This appears to be based on the page, not the thread. So, on one page I had one duplicate and had two PHP errors showing. On the next page, between DDay and I, there were 6 duplicate posts, and I saw 12 PHP error messages. szlamany confirmed my count of 12 PHP errors, so I added a seventh duplicate (they can be caused at will in the Post Race, as noted earlier), and there are now 14 PHP errors showing up on that page.

I am seeing one PHP error on this page, but there are no duplicates visible. Perhaps there was a duplicate, and it was removed.

Well, Chit-Chat appears to work differently from this forum. That last post duplicated, yet I still see only a single PHP error message at the top of the page. The link is clear in Post Race, but not clear in here.

Test:

vb Code:
    1. Dim bulb As Null

Test:

vb Code:
    1. Dim bulb As Null

In the Test Area, I tried the preceding test. The result in here is the same as I was seeing in the Test Area. From that, these points can be made:

1) If you use the VB button in the quick reply, you WILL get a duplicate.
    2) If you get a duplicate using the VB button in the quick reply, you will get two PHP error lines at the top of the page.
    3) The PHP error lines are per page, not per thread.
    4) If you delete either duplicated post, it will remove one of the PHP error lines (deleting both posts will remove both PHP lines).
    5) The # button will not cause an automatic duplicate.
    6) There are other ways to cause duplicates other than using the VB button, but they are less predictable, and do not always result in PHP lines at the top of the form (my duplicated posts #48 and #49 do not have any tags, and didn't result in PHP error lines).

So, if you want something to study, study the VB button and what it is doing. It may not solve ALL of the duplicates, but it has the advantage of being repeatable, and also predictably adding PHP error lines.

See my post #46 above..... No Duplicates were created....

BUT, I have sent this info to the IT people upstairs. Please keep trying to recreate it..

See my post #46 above..... No Duplicates were created....

BUT, I have sent this info to the IT people upstairs. Please keep trying to recreate it..

AND why did this one duplicate?!?!?!?

Because of this?
    Test:

vb Code:
    1. Dim bulb As Null

Take a look in the forum test thread. If you start with the HIGHLIGHT tag, as you did in #46, the issue doesn't occur. In fact, if you start with something like this it won't duplicate:

Some String[HIGHLIGHT=vb]test[/HIGHLIGHT]

However, if you were to put the HIGHLIGHT tags on the next line it would duplicate:

This will duplicate
    [HIGHLIGHT=vb][/HIGHLIGHT]

This is not the whole answer, though, because we are frequently duplicating posts that have no tags. So, while this HIGHLIGHT tag stuff is consistent behavior, and the appearance of the PHP strings is consistent when the HIGHLIGHT tag duplication happens, there is something further going on beyond JUST that.

Take a look in the forum test thread. If you start with the HIGHLIGHT tag, as you did in #46, the issue doesn't occur. In fact, if you start with something like this it won't duplicate:

Some String[HIGHLIGHT=vb]test[/HIGHLIGHT]

However, if you were to put the HIGHLIGHT tags on the next line it would duplicate:

This will duplicate
    [HIGHLIGHT=vb][/HIGHLIGHT]

This is not the whole answer, though, because we are frequently duplicating posts that have no tags. So, while this HIGHLIGHT tag stuff is consistent behavior, and the appearance of the PHP strings is consistent when the HIGHLIGHT tag duplication happens, there is something further going on beyond JUST that.

I am not going to start a new thread as I think it fits here.

1) PHP warnings constant on pages header

2) Cant "go to advanced post" as will always say sorry when posting and I will lose the entire post after

3) Cant save an edit with out source mode on. (Far left toolbar)

4) Inserting an image will just insert [attach] tags with random letters

5) Editing a post will just say "message to short" with source mode off

I know I have seen more, the forum is pretty broken tbh and this IT guy should be on the case if a paid job.

To add this is all in the VB.nt section and a few times I have written a reply twice to help a user and just walked away due to the fact of losing my post.

Sinecure devotee

I've had this type of thing happen enough on another forum, that I kind of get in the habit of doing a ctrl-a, ctrl-c to select and copy my reply before hitting a button to send it. And when I'm really paranoid, I paste it into wordpad before hitting a button on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    I've had this type of thing happen enough on another forum, that I kind of get in the habit of doing a ctrl-a, ctrl-c to select and copy my reply before hitting a button to send it. And when I'm really paranoid, I paste it into wordpad before hitting a button on the page.
    That is what I have been trying to remember to do. Does not happen when you copy it lol

My first three posts this morning didn't duplicate. For a moment, the clouds had parted and the sun was shining down....then I promptly duplicated the next few posts, so scratch that sunny day.

I really wish I had an answer... Even better would be an answer from the people upstairs that I report too... In theory, they haven't forgotten about the issues here.

(((STAY TUNED)))

Sinecure devotee

I've only done one test case so far, but based on the theory that the post shown before the second post looks like an Advanced Reply, I just did an Advanced reply to a thread from the start, rather than a quick reply and it didn't double post.

I'll try to remember to "Go Advanced" as a habit and see if that holds true.

Every pattern I've thought I've seen has proven to be illusory. Haven't tried going advanced, though.

PowerPoster

It's strange, as far as I know I haven't had a double post. I usually do Quick posts, I use quote and # tags. I use Chrome on Win7 machine. It does take two back arrow clicks to get back to the forum threads.

If we touch you, will we be healed as well?

I get double posts about 70-80% of the time.

PowerPoster

If we touch you, will we be healed as well?

I get double posts about 70-80% of the time.
    You can try rubbing my bald head for luck. I've been trying to find a way to slap someone over the internet.

btw - I've never got the "you have to wait 30 second" message either.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Nov 14th, 2018 at 06:42 PM.

wes4dbt - here you go - an Eel Slap:

http://eelslap.com/

wes4dbt - here you go - an Eel Slap:

http://eelslap.com/

(i almost always get a double post)

Why did somebody even make that site???

PowerPoster