Thread: [RESOLVED] I don't like RED (DELETE FROM TABLE WHERE COLOR = 'RED' .. but not all of them

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] I don't like RED (DELETE FROM TABLE WHERE COLOR = 'RED' .. but not all of them

Assume I have a table containing a list of my Clothes like this:

Code:
    Item	Color
    SHIRT	RED
    SHIRT	BLUE
    SHIRT	WHITE
    PANTS	RED
    PANTS	GREEN
    HAT	RED
    SHOES	RED
    SHOES	BLACK
    SHOES	BROWN
    SOCKS	RED
    COAT	BLUE
    and now I don't like RED so I want to delete all the RED ones. This SQL would do that

Code:
    DELETE FROM Wardrobe WHERE Color = 'RED'
    But some of the items are only available in one color. For example I don't want to delete my HAT even though it's RED because I've only got one HAT.

So I want to delete all the red items except in cases where there's no alternative color.

This seems to work.

Code:
    DELETE FROM Wardrobe WHERE Color = 'RED'
    AND EXISTS (SELECT ITEM FROM Wardrobe AS CLOTHES WHERE CLOTHES.Item = Wardrobe.Item AND CLOTHES.Color  <> 'RED')
    I figured it out by trial and error and that seems to work but I'm still nervous.

Is it reliable?
    is there a better way?
    Although it's just one line does it put a load on the server?
    or what?

Re: I don't like RED (DELETE FROM TABLE WHERE COLOR = 'RED' .. but not all of them

Yes - this is an acceptable approach - one I would have probably used myself.

If this is MS SQL my syntax would have been

Code:
    Delete From Wardrobe
       From Wardrobe WX
       Where WX.Color='RED' 
          and Exists(Select * From Wardrobe WX2 Where WX2.Item=WX.Item and WX2.Color<>'RED')
    I use this syntax so I can comment out --Delete From Wardrobe and change it to SELECT * (for testing).

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Lively Member

Re: I don't like RED (DELETE FROM TABLE WHERE COLOR = 'RED' .. but not all of them

Thank you

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: [RESOLVED] I don't like RED (DELETE FROM TABLE WHERE COLOR = 'RED' .. but not all

The only downside I can see with that approach is that it uses a corelated subquery. If this is being run across very large volumes of data that can be a bit of a performance hog because it needs to be resolved for each row individually. Usually you will get a better result if you can express the query using a join:-

SQL Code:
    1. Create Table #Wardrobe (Item Varchar(8), Color Varchar(8))
    3. Insert into #Wardrobe
    4. Values  ('SHIRT','RED'),
    5.         ('SHIRT','BLUE'),
    6.         ('SHIRT','WHITE'),
    7.         ('PANTS','RED'),
    8.         ('PANTS','GREEN'),
    9.         ('HAT','RED'),
    10.         ('SHOES','RED'),
    11.         ('SHOES','BLACK'),
    12.         ('SHOES','BROWN'),
    13.         ('SOCKS','RED'),
    14.         ('COAT','BLUE')
    17. Delete RedClothes
    18. From #Wardrobe as RedClothes
    19. Join #Wardrobe as NonRedClothes
    20.     on RedClothes.Item = NonRedClothes.Item
    21. where RedClothes.Color = 'RED'
    22. And NonRedClothes.Color <> 'RED'
    24. Drop Table #Wardrobe

I say usually because nothing is certain with the Query Engine. You might find that the sub query is actually better in your case so I'd suggest giving it a quick test with either approach.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Lively Member

Re: [RESOLVED] I don't like RED (DELETE FROM TABLE WHERE COLOR = 'RED' .. but not all

@FunkyDexter

Do all DB's support that JOIN syntax? It's been a while since I worked with JET but I seem to remember it couldn't delete from a JOIN'ed table?

I don't think you mentioned the platform and, since you were talking about server performance, I guessed at SQL Server or MySQL, either of which would support it.

I quick Google search says that Access does not I'm afraid
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I don't think you mentioned the platform and, since you were talking about server performance, I guessed at SQL Server or MySQL, either of which would support it.

I quick Google search says that Access does not I'm afraid
    You're right. I didn't mention the platform - Sorry. I kind if forgot about jet till you mentioned that join syntax and it reminded me. My application uses IDBConnection and can connect to either MSSQL or MySQL so I try to use a common syntax with a function that fixes up things like "TOP n vs LIMIT n" etc. And, unfortunately, I still need to be able to connect to Jet for backward compatibility.

I'm trying to drop support for JET. As soon as I can do that I'll come back and look at that join syntax. Thanks.

Yeah, the delete from syntax isn't actually covered by the ANSII standard. Just about every current engine supports it... except JET. Kinda sucks but there you have it I'm afraid.