Thread: Windows 7 Desktop Right-Click Contact Menu, New 2010 XLSX

Windows 7 Desktop Right-Click Contact Menu, New 2010 XLSX

I added applications I use regularly to the New Context menu, I can now right-click>New the following:
    • Microsoft Word Document
    • Rich Text File (WordPad)
    • Python (.py)

I can't for the life of me figure-out how to get Microsoft Excel into the New Context menu. Believe me, there are a ton of examples, there are as many different pages, as there are pages that link back to the same stuff I've already read.

I went back and documented the Registry Entry for the other applications available in the New Context Menu, .accdb, .pptx, .pud, .txt, but none look the same. They are all similar, but they all have ShellNew someplace different and sometimes listed twice -just on different nodes.

Windows 7 jumps between having full spelled out Path and File names then back to Win 3.1 looking path and filenames -where they end in a ~1 or ~2, etc, something about having to do with WOW64.

I need help.

TIA
    davlyo

Hyperactive Member

Re: Windows 7 Desktop Right-Click Contact Menu, New 2010 XLSX

Quote Originally Posted by davlyo View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure-out how to get Microsoft Excel into the New Context menu. Believe me, there are a ton of examples, there are as many different pages, as there are pages that link back to the same stuff I've already read.
    Have you already seen Microsoft's official instructions (for developers)? Extending a New Submenu* describes the tasks you'll need to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by davlyo View Post
    Windows 7 jumps between having full spelled out Path and File names then back to Win 3.1 looking path and filenames -where they end in a ~1 or ~2, etc, something about having to do with WOW64.
    IMO, it would be better if you'll use fully qualified filenames rather than the archaic short (8.3) filenames.

* Microsoft is currently transferring all of their documentation to a new location and apparently, not all articles are fully restored. The given article, for example, is missing the screenshot. Fortunately, the Wayback Machine has an archived copy of a complete previous version here.

Thank you for the Link, my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx node looks exactly as the link suggests, when I right click in the desktop and select New -Excel does not appear. I have no idea!!!

Hyperactive Member

I don't know if you're already aware of this, but the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key is actually a merged view of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes keys. You might want to try this: if your .xlsx key is currently under HKCU, transfer it to HKLM. Log-off and log-on afterwards to restart Windows Explorer. If that's not the case or if it still doesn't work, then sorry, but I have no more ideas...