dcsimg

Thread: Where's MSDN?

Fanatic Member

Where's MSDN?

I go there looking for info on an API function, and end up getting this instead.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-wingdi-bitblt
    It's not msdn.microsoft.com. Instead it's docs.microsoft.com. And instead of the parameter's descriptions being present, where the descriptions should be it only says TBD (which I assume means "to be determined"). Why do they need to be determined. Microsoft already knows how they work. It's even in the old documentation that MS employees can refer to when writing the new documentation. They should have just copy and pasted the old documentation. I just hope that these new pages of documentation don't leave these functions completely undocumented. I hope they actually do fill in all the info.

Fortunately archive.org has these MSDN pages archived. Here's the one for BitBlt.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130621.../dd183370.aspx

Frenzied Member

Re: Where's MSDN?

Did you try hitting F1 in the IDE?
    Imagine what it would be like to set breakpoints in, or step through subclassing code;
    and then being able to hit stop/end/debug or continue, without crashing the IDE.

VB6.tlb | Bulletproof Subclassing in the IDE (no thunks/assembly/DEP issues)

Maybe the link in my signature below?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Fanatic Member

I mean MSDN website not the VB6 help file. Why did MSDN disappear? Is it simply converted now to docs.microsoft.com? Or is there some hidden location for it now on microsoft.com?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    Why did MSDN disappear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sandquist
    Why docs.microsoft.com?

In short, content matters. We interviewed and surveyed hundreds of developers and IT Pros and sifted through your website feedback over the years on UserVoice. It was clear we needed to make a change and create a modern web experience for content. The first thing we did was evaluate our existing content infrastructure TechNet and MSDN. Both sites are built on a 10-15 year-old brittle codebase with an archaic publishing and deployment system that was never designed to run on the cloud.

Our focus was not only on the experience, but also on the content we create and how each of you consume it. For years customers have told us to go beyond walls of text with feature-level content and help them implement solutions to their business problems. We knew that the content we delivered and the platform we built must make it easy for customers to learn and deploy solutions.

We realized that to get the overall experience right we needed to start from scratch; from this effort comes https://docs.microsoft.com a new hope [sic?] for documentation at Microsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Maybe the link in my signature below?
    It's probably time to update the link. The new (and hopefully permanent) URL for VB6 documentation is now at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/visualstudio/visual-basic-6/visual-basic-6.0-documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    Fortunately archive.org has these MSDN pages archived.
    If you'll download and install the Windows SDK (link to older versions can be found here), you will have a reliable, offline copy of the MSDN documentation. As a bonus, you will have access to the Windows header files, which you can use to verify that the API declarations you get from API viewers are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by VB VI
    It's probably time to update the link. The new (and hopefully permanent) URL for VB6 documentation is now at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...-documentation.
    Thanx
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}