Thread: 3704 error Operation is not allowed wen the object is closed -IBM server client 10.5

3704 error Operation is not allowed wen the object is closed -IBM server client 10.5

I have VB6.0 windows application and the backend is db2. I'm using ODBC connections to connect to the DB2. My application works fine with the driver IBM server client 9.7 (in windows 7). When I run the same application with IBM Server Client 10.5 (in windows 10), it throws and error '3704 error Operation is not allowed when the object is closed' when It approaches this line in the code
    If RsRecord.BOF And RsRecord.EOF

Here is the full code

Dim RsRecord As ADODB.Recordset
    On Error GoTo ErrHandler

lSQL$ = "SELECT GL_ACCNT FROM TC06U.TC_GL_ACCOUNT ORDER BY GL_ACCNT"

Set RsRecord = New ADODB.Recordset
    RsRecord.Open lSQL$, gCnn

If RsRecord.BOF And RsRecord.EOF Then
    'No Recs
    Else
    RsRecord.MoveFirst
    cboGLAcc.AddItem ""
    With RsRecord
    Do Until .EOF
    cboGLAcc.AddItem Trim$(.Fields(0))
    .MoveNext
    Loop
    .Close
    End With
    End If

The same VB6.0 works fine for IBM Server Client 9.7 in windows 7.

Is there a special configuration or settings I need to do to pass this line - RsRecord.BOF And RsRecord.EOF ??

Also.. when I displayed gCnn - it is showing "Provider=MSDASQL.1;" - IS This wrong one for IBM Server Client 10.5??

Please advise.

Thanks,

Claudia

PowerPoster

Re: 3704 error Operation is not allowed wen the object is closed -IBM server client

My guess would be that your connection is not open. Apparently the code that does that is elsewhere and there are no checks there to insure it is open before trying to open a recordset on it. This will always fail if the connection is not open at the time.

Re: 3704 error Operation is not allowed wen the object is closed -IBM server client

What do I need to do to ensure that the connection is open? Can you provide sample code?

PowerPoster

The state property of the connection can tell you if it is open.

Got that part - Thank you!