dcsimg

Thread: VB6 under Widows 10

Lively Member

VB6 under Widows 10

Hi there,

I still have a lot written in VB6 which requires ongoing maintenance, so need to retain VB6. I have recently migrated to a computer running Windows 10, and there seem to be a few issues with using VB6. Is this a known problem.

For example, in the VB6 running under Windows 10, I don't appear to be able to add scroll bars to a Text Box. Is this a known issue, is there anything I can do about it and are there other things I need to knows?

Thanks for any advice,

Kind Regards, John

Re: VB6 under Widows 10

1. Are you running VB6 Elevated?
    2. Do you have SP6 installed?
    3. Did you have any issues installing VB6 on Win10?
    4. Do you have the textbox multiline property set to True?

Yes, there have been a few 'issues' discovered by some on this Forum, but I don't remember what they were. In what I do, No, I don't have any issues after moving from 7 to 8 to 10.

Sammi

Lively Member

Update .... I cannot pretend to understand/explain, since I am doing nothing different from what I tried to do before, but my ability to add scroll bars to text boxes has now returned!

One other thing which is definitely an ongoing issue under Win 10 is that VB6 is unable to display the Help files/information.

Kind Regards, John

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    1. Are you running VB6 Elevated?
    3. Did you have any issues installing VB6 on Win10?
    4. Do you have the textbox multiline property set to True?
    Thanks for your interest. As you'll see from my recent post, the specific problem I mention seems to have gone away spontaneously! In answer to your questions - Yes, Yes, No, Yes.

As I recently wrote, one definite ongoing issue is the inability to see the Help file.

Kind Regards, John

An old post, but take a gander at it:

https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=385106

Lively Member

An old post, but take a gander at it: https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=385106
    Thanks. I'll have a look.

Kind Regards, John

Lively Member

I've just discovered that I lied! Although I thought that I had applied SP6 after installing VB6 under Win 10, it seems that I didn't! When I try now, using the SP6 which I have of old, after clicking on the "I agree" button, right at the start, I get "Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 6 Setup was not completed successfully", with no further explanation

Do I perhaps need to get a different version of SP6 for Win 10, or is there some other possible explanation for this?

Kind Regards, John

Hey, J. Do a search here (or send a PM to dilettante)...There are several 'versions' of SP6 (dates), but I don't recall which one to use...been awhile since I migrated to Win10. Anyway, in your search on this Forum, just do one for SP6 VB6...Should get you what you need. However, I don't believe that is your issue with the Help File. If you PM dilettante, he'll set you straight on both accounts.

Sammi

PowerPoster

One issue is that if you just do a normal install of VB, accepting all of the defaults it does not fully install, it will run but it does not create all of the required registry entries. When you then try to install SP6 it will fail every time. SP6 install only works when VB6 has been properly installed first,

Remember to run SP6 elevated also.

Here's a thread listing 3 versions of SP6, from oldest to latest. Also included in that link are some potential gotchas if you install an older version and any of your projects were designed with newer versions & vice versa.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Remember to run SP6 elevated also.
    Yes, I'm running (or trying to run) SP6 elevated.
    Here's a thread listing 3 versions of SP6, from oldest to latest.
    Thanks. It sems that only the first of those 3 is actually SP6. The other two are security updates to SP6 which cannot be installed until one has installed SP6.

As for the first one, when I run acmsetup.exe, it results in "Setup in unable to open the data file C:\......\acmsetup.stf run setup again from where you originally ran it". I don't really understand what is meant by "where I originally ran it" - and, in any event, that .stf file does not exist anywhere on my machine.

Kind Regards, John

Isn't this the file you should be executing: setupsp6.exe ?

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

Isn't this the file you should be executing: setupsp6.exe ?
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Yes, that is the file one expects to execute - but, a I said at the start, that is the one that rapidly ends with a "...not installed successfully" error message under W10. Other posts here (and elsewhere) have suggested that when one runs that file, it actually results in acmsetup.exe executing, so, as an alternative approach, tried running that directly - the result being a different error message!

Kind Regards, John

John, I feel for you. Due to Win10 updates in recent past, I've had to reinstall VB. In fact one Win10 update broke so many things other than VB that I did a complete O/S reinstall. Anyway, if there is any shred of doubt that you didn't install VB on Win10 "as administrator", you may want to try to uninstall and reinstall and follow that up with SP6 reinstall.

The problems you are facing are not common and scream of something went wrong during the current install. A clean reinstall of VB doesn't take that long and may be easier than trying to figure out what went wrong.

PowerPoster

I'm pretty sure that the SP6 to use should be this one:

Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0, Visual C++ 6.0 with Visual Source Safe 6.0d

That is a self-extractor. After running it you are supposed to run setupsp6.exe, but this is a 16-bit EXE so it can't actually run if you have fallen for the 64-bit Windows gag. However a lot of systems with OEM Windows preinstalled only come with 64-bit Windows.

Just run it anyway. If there is no 16-bit emulation layer in 64-bit Windows, how come certain 16-bit installers are allowed to run? provides an explanation of this.

Basically there is an appcompat heuristic in 64-bit Windows to pave over this by recognizing a small set of old installation bootstrappers and replacing them with equivalent code that ships as part of Windows.

The acmsetup.exe that gets extracted is a 32-bit EXE which in itself was an appcompat hack. It is a 32-bit version of the old 16-bit ACME installer, and was created to help admins install on 32-bit Windows Server OSs that didn't have the 16-bit WOW subsystem installed.

So you have two levels of appcompat going on, using two different approaches.

Ideally you would run setupsp6.exe on a Windows client OS, and the appcompat heuristic should handle everything fine. If you install on a Windows Server OS you may have to run acmsetup.exe directly, though most recent versions of WinServer also have the 16-bit bootstrapper appcompat hack too so this isn't an issue any more.

In Explorer the UAC Shield decoration should be displayed on their icons. So no matter which program you run it should be recognized as an installer and should request elevation. There should be no need to manually right-click and choose "Run as administrator."

PowerPoster

Anyway, if there is any shred of doubt that you didn't install VB on Win10 "as administrator", you may want to try to uninstall and reinstall and follow that up with SP6 reinstall.
    That is good advice.

The original VB/VS 6.0 installer packages are not automatically detected as installers, so they need to be explicitly run elevated. Both phases.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the SP6 to use should be this one:
    Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0, Visual C++ 6.0 with Visual Source Safe 6.0d That is a self-extractor. After running it you are supposed to run setupsp6.exe, but this is a 16-bit EXE so it can't actually run if you have fallen for the 64-bit Windows gag. However a lot of systems with OEM Windows preinstalled only come with 64-bit Windows. Just run it anyway. ...
    I think, as you suggest, I'm stuck with 64-bit! That one (v 5.50.4134.600) is the one I've been trying with. It 'runs' to the extent of getting me to click on the very early "I agree" button, but then this "...did not install successfully" window immediately pops up - so I don't know whether that means it can 'run' in any meaningful sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    ... So you have two levels of appcompat going on, using two different approaches. Ideally you would run setupsp6.exe on a Windows client OS, and the appcompat heuristic should handle everything fine. If you install on a Windows Server OS you may have to run acmsetup.exe directly, though most recent versions of WinServer also have the 16-bit bootstrapper appcompat hack too so this isn't an issue any more.
    It's just a laptop, so just a client OS.

Kind Regards, John

Lively Member

John, I feel for you. ... Anyway, if there is any shred of doubt that you didn't install VB on Win10 "as administrator", you may want to try to uninstall and reinstall and follow that up with SP6 reinstall. ... A clean reinstall of VB doesn't take that long and may be easier than trying to figure out what went wrong.
    I've already tried one clean VB re-install, without it changing anything - and, unless my fingers were disobeying my brain, I did it all "as administrator" both for the original and the repeat install. However, particularly since I seem to be running out of other ideas, I'm going to have one more try, in the hope that 'third time may be lucky'!

I forgot to add in my response to dilettante that my VB installation has been from the original CDs, which I imagine will have a 16-bit installer - and if that's the case, it seems that my machine can 'do' 16-bit!

Kind Regards, John

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW2 View Post
    I've already tried one clean VB re-install, without it changing anything - and, unless my fingers were disobeying my brain, I did it all "as administrator" both for the original and the repeat install. However, particularly since I seem to be running out of other ideas, I'm going to have one more try, in the hope that 'third time may be lucky'!
    I may come to regret that decision :-)

The third installation (second re-installation) went fine, until it got to the end. After quite a long time of "setting is updating your system" (I imagine doing things to the registry), the setup program 'stopped responding' and hung up. When I now look at the list of things I could uninstall (so as to do yet another clean install!) VB6 is not in the list! However, the one bit of (semi-) good news is that, despite all that, VB6 still seems to be working!

What next?

Kind Regards, John

What next?
    If VB6 does not appear in uninstallable applications it means that it has not been installed correctly. Therefore You can install the SP6.
    You can try to use my tool (see my sign) that has been updated and tested with Windows 10 1803.

Remember to CLEAN your system (folders, registry entries, ...) as explained on download page.

I may come to regret that decision :-)

The third installation (second re-installation) went fine, until it got to the end. After quite a long time of "setting is updating your system" (I imagine doing things to the registry), the setup program 'stopped responding' and hung up. When I now look at the list of things I could uninstall (so as to do yet another clean install!) VB6 is not in the list! However, the one bit of (semi-) good news is that, despite all that, VB6 still seems to be working!

What next?

Kind Regards, John
    Regarding the installation "hanging up". This link has a solution to that:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/install-...hine-for-java/
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Tyson, very many thanks! I suspect that it's a lot more than you expected, but that seems to have solved all my problems in one fell swoop!

That site does, indeed, describe exactly the 'hanging' problem I experienced. When I did as it suggests (basically just NOT installing "Remote Data Objects and Controls", despite the warning that is is needed for proper functioning of VB6), it installed without any problems.

Secondly, the re-installation of MSDN which it deed has got me my 'Help' functionality back.

Finally, applying SP6 after all that went totally painlessly!

So, again, a thousand thanks :-)

Kind Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post

What my VS6Installer wizard does all automatically.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    What my VS6Installer wizard does all automatically.
    If it's any consolation, I was going to try your installer if following the instructions in the link that Tyson had posted didn't work - but I am more comfortable 'doing things myself' (if I can) than having to rely on whatever is being done by software written my something else!

Kind Regards, John