dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Table has two different fields, related to the same table

Resolved [RESOLVED] Table has two different fields, related to the same table

This is an MS Access database

I know, the title is vague as I'm really struggling with how to word this question.. Here goes..

I have a table with two fields, pointing to different records, in the same related table. I need to pull this data together to build a report. I've created some sub-queries, but, I'm certain there's an easier/simpler way to achieve this.

Any help is appreciated.
    Things I've found useful:
    DateTime.ToString() Patterns | Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases | ADO.NET Data Containers: An Explanation

Quote of the day from jmcilhinney:
    'Talking about Option Strict and Option Explicit in the same sentence is pointless unless it is to say that they should both be On.'

Re: Table has two different fields, related to the same table

I'm not certain I understand what you mean, but assuming it is something like one field for "Manager" and one for "Subordinate", and they both have references to a "People" table... you can join using aliases, eg:
    Code:
    SELECT MainTable.*, Manager.Name, Subordinate.Name, ...

FROM (MainTable
    INNER JOIN People as Manager ON Manager.ID = MainTable.ManagerID)
    INNER JOIN People as Subordinate ON Subordinate.ID = MainTable.SubordinateID
    You can then refer to them independently using the aliases (as I did in the Select clause), and cannot refer to them using the "real" table name (People in this example).

Yes, that is seemingly a perfect analogy. Here's a screenshot of each table, the highlighted fields from the table on the left both correspond to a record in the table on the right. I'll give your suggestion a try.

Name:  TwoFieldsOneTable.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  30.3 KB
    DateTime.ToString() Patterns | Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases | ADO.NET Data Containers: An Explanation

'Talking about Option Strict and Option Explicit in the same sentence is pointless unless it is to say that they should both be On.'

So, if I'm applying my object names to your SQL, tell me if this looks correct..?

SELECT tblStationStatus.*, Legend.lot, Legend.drum, Covered.lot, Covered.drum, ...

FROM (tblStationStatus
    INNER JOIN tblSheetingDetails as Legend ON Legend.ID = tblStationStatus.LotLegend)
    INNER JOIN tblSheetingDetails as Covered ON Covered.ID = tblStationStatus.LotCovered

That looks right

Does it return what you'd hoped?

Indeed, it did. Outstanding and simple. I actually get it. Haha. Thank you very much!