Thread: Networking a database - mysql

Networking a database - mysql

This is my first step in finding information on programming a database in visual basic and allowing users to connect over a network.

I decided on MySQL with .NET connector (so I am using vb .net). I have not done this before, so I want to make sure I am looking at the right examples.

The vb program needs to be a server as it will have other purposes (such as a chat lobby). When the user connects to the server, the user should be able to access the database at the same time others can. On this database would be a market, that the user can buy and sell from. The server will create a default profile for the user and assign some base money to use on the market.

For this concept, what kind of things should I be looking for, so I can develop it. How much of this would be the database part if most of the mediation is done by the server anyway. How can the server interact with the database and users. I know my question is very broad, but I'm still figuring out how to organize this into a project.

Re: Networking a database - mysql

There's nothing there that requires any special attention at all. There's nothing special about a server application accessing a database. That's just a standard setup for the database and basic ADO.NET for the server app. The only question that your post really raises is whether the server app should be a Windows service, which might be the best option if all clients will be on the same network, or a web service, which could be used for an intranet or the internet.