Thread: Moving Outlook ost files to my data drive

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Moving Outlook ost files to my data drive

I have a fairly small solid state system drive and a 1 terrabyte Data Drive. Since the system drive was starting to fill up I've moved all the user folders to the data drive and want to do the same with the outlook ost files.

A bit of googling led me to believe that a simple registry entry would force outlook to create (I'm happy for it to make new ones) its files in a location of my choice (see method 2 here). I've done that, though, and it doesn't seem to have worked, it's still creating them in C:\Users\Me\AppData. For the life of me I can't work out what I've done wrong.

Here's a screen of the registry entry:-
    Name:  Registry.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  21.7 KB
    Any thoughts?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: Moving Outlook ost files to my data drive

Control Panel-> MAIL icon->Data Files button-> SETTINGS

-or-

Email Accounts-> Change Folder button
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

That takes me to the same page as you get from within Outlook > File > Account Settings > Manage Accounts. When I select an account and click settings I get a message saying the account cannot be configured:-Name:  Account.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  41.9 KB
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Copy the files back to the original location and then try to make the location change.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

They're in the original location already. If I move them out (i.e. using Windows explorer) to a desired location, it just creates a new set in the original location.

From what I'm seeing (and a bit of googling supports this) 2016 really, REALLY wants you to create them in the User Profile and nowhere else. The ForceOSTPath registry key is supposed to override this behaviour but doesn't seem to be working for me. I could move the whole profile onto the data drive (googling seems to lead me to that being a solution though I haven't tried it yet) but the registry key looked like being less hassle, if I could just get it to work

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Control Panel-> MAIL icon->Data Files button-> SETTINGS

-or-

Email Accounts-> Change Folder button
    So when you do these steps it's creating a second set of files in the same original location? That would be weird.

Maybe you could create New Accounts and point them to the new location and then import from the old files.

If I remember this right (and its been a while...), what you have to do is to copy the .pst files to their new location. Then in data files tab from above add the new copied .pst files and then remove the old ones.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)