Thread: A Variety of Topics - SQL Express integration with VS to "Site Maintenance" etc.

Lightbulb A Variety of Topics - SQL Express integration with VS to "Site Maintenance" etc.

I haven't posted here in a while I recently got promoted at my job, and was in training the last few months, my hours fluctuate and when I am not at work it seems I still don't have a lot of time for much anything else. I was a Manager Trainee for about 5 months, which is perfect considering this is my first rodeo. I quit my first job for this job, and haven't looked back since.

Anyways...

General discussion, not neccessarily exclusive to a language, I only posted this here because its just off topic general chatter.

I recently decided after years of putting it off LOL to learn databases. Here comes the pain in my ass. I download SQL Express from Microsoft, go to figure out how to even begin working in VS with it - still working on that part... The biggest pain in the rear was getting to understand the differences between VB PHP and other languages I have self-taught myself over the past however many years. I noticed most of the examples online use local databases, do databases use encryption or do I need to manually encrypt?

I know online-based ones require a few extra steps depending the platform you use, otherwise you end up giving the info away with a click of a button LOL.

My next rant is what happened to this site.

Every. Time. I visit now (Yes I do come and browse), I have to login. Used to when I was logged in it kept me logged in, is that related to the recent changes I have started noticing with "security" updates or is this just something chrome is doing?

I don't see much new, I read the announcement was it referring to last weekend or this coming?

And another general subject, when do you think we will see a new versions VS? is that 2019? or?

I haven't had time to update VS in a while its probably still using one of the original releases, to be quite honest its been getting slow lately, well all of windows 10 has been slow lately.

I realized that Chrome has 2 processes going for each tab (I had 23 tabs earlier so 46 processes) I noticed chrome has increased the amount of memory usage over the years, rn its taking 1GB of my CPU Ram.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Re: A Variety of Topics - SQL Express integration with VS to "Site Maintenance" etc.

With regards to using SQL Server, how you create and build databases depends on whether you're using LocalDB or not. SQL Server Express is a stripped-down edition of SQL Server and LocalDB is an even-more stripped-down edition of SQL Server Express.

LocalDB gets installed with VS so you don't need a separate SQL Server installation. In that case, you can add a Server-based Database to your project like you would any other item. That will add an MDF data file directly to your project and double-clicking on that will open it in the Server Explorer. From there, you can right-click the Tables node to add a new table, etc.

If you have installed SQL Server Express or a different edition of SQL Server then you should also install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). You can connect to an instance of SQL Server in SSMS and right-click the Databases node to add a database, to which you can then add tables, etc. In that case, the MDF data file is stored in a standard location for SQL Server and the database is permanently attached to the instance.

Once you have a database, the code to use it is exactly the same regardless. You create a SqlConnection object to make the connection, SqlCommand objects to execute SQL statements, SqlDataAdapter objects to perform CRUD operations, etc. Your database could be local to your project, attached to a local instance of SQL Server Express, attached to a SQL Server instance on a network server or hosted on a server on the other side of the world and your code will be exactly the same, with the only difference being the connection string. In each case, the Data Source attribute will specify the instance to connect to and the Initial Catalog will specify the attached database or the AttachDbFilename will specify the data file. Visit www.connectionstrings.com to find the specifics.

Note that, if you really were going to connect to an online database, it is possible to do so directly, via TCP/IP, but that is almost never done for security reasons. The usual method is to host a web service on the same network as the database and then have an application make calls to that service. The service will implement its data access exactly as I mentioned above.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: A Variety of Topics - SQL Express integration with VS to "Site Maintenance" etc.

Re the "repeated Login" issue, I had a similar problem a while back and it was down to my anti-virus software. It was set to disallow cookies which meant the site wasn't able to recognise me. Might be worth checking.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdc20181 View Post
    I noticed most of the examples online use local databases, do databases use encryption or do I need to manually encrypt?
    Generally you must manually encrypt sensitive data. By default, most databases do not, but there may be a config setting that would change that behavior.

I realized that Chrome has 2 processes going for each tab (I had 23 tabs earlier so 46 processes) I noticed chrome has increased the amount of memory usage over the years, rn its taking 1GB of my CPU Ram.
    Only 1GB? Seems Chrome is usually taking up several GB for me and not as many tabs. I got tired of the running low on memory warnings (I only restart it when I get those) so finally added another 8GB.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Re the "repeated Login" issue, I had a similar problem a while back and it was down to my anti-virus software. It was set to disallow cookies which meant the site wasn't able to recognise me. Might be worth checking.
    Ditto.... Login information is stored on your pc in COOKIES. You must allow them and or not remove them fo this site.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Ditto.... Login information is stored on your pc in COOKIES. You must allow them and or not remove them fo this site.
    My McAfee LifeSafe subscription expired, and didn't have the extra cash to renew the premium version, so I went with the standard you might say its like total protection or something it was free for 30 days I said why not. I will def. look at my settings, I know I also have AdBlock Plus, so it could be tied to that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    Generally you must manually encrypt sensitive data. By default, most databases do not, but there may be a config setting that would change that behavior.

Only 1GB? Seems Chrome is usually taking up several GB for me and not as many tabs. I got tired of the running low on memory warnings (I only restart it when I get those) so finally added another 8GB.
    Yea it really depends, (in my opinion) most likely on what site you visit. I have thought about upgrading my memory, I have 8 GB, I think theres 1 or 2 slots that can hold 8 GB each. I would probably have to take it to a computer shop, not too great with hardware. I figured you would have to manually encrypt just like online, its kinda tough for me to understand everything, the only times I have dealt with online databases was when I was on a project team for a open source forum software, and the other times was when I had to fix corrupt databases with word press (a nightmare)

Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I am going to look into everything now, and will come back when I get more info.

ALSO steve, it seemed like when it does log me out its only if I dont have the site open for a day or 2. It could really be something in the forum software expiring the session? Not sure entirely, going to investigate the other possibilities first
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Coincidentally it was McAfee that did it to me too. Can't remember exactly where I found the setting but it was set to block cookies by default.

On the encryption thing, some databases do have encryption built in but not all and it's managed in different ways so it's hard to give a simple response. Do you need to encrypt the entire database or just certain fields (passwords, credit card details - that sort of thing)? If it's the former then just google "encrypt XXX database" where XXX is the database you're using. If it's just certain fields then, IMO, you're better encrypting/decrypting the data in the application and storing the encrypted version.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I noticed most of the examples online use local databases, do databases use encryption or do I need to manually encrypt?
    Do you need to encrypt the entire database or just certain fields (passwords, credit card details - that sort of thing)?
    It would help if you told us exactly why you want the encryption?

Normally for online systems if your using web services then you encrypt the data being sent back and forth and the database sits behind a firewall somewhere.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you