Thread: Find y values in a data series (MS Excel chart) corresponding to x values along x axi

Find y values in a data series (MS Excel chart) corresponding to x values along x axi

I have a MS Excel chart with 3 data series. I would like to write a procedure that will loop through the x axis from values 1 to 100 and for each of the x values it will look up the corresponding y values from the 3 data series in my chart.

Bear in mind the x axis values to loop through may not necessarily correspond to the x values from the data series points. In other words, there may be a data series point with a y value of 6 and x value of 5.5. I'm interested in obtaining the corresponding y value for x = 5 which is not not an existing point in the data series; however, one can easily find it when moving the cursor along the curve. My goal is to determine it in VB.

Is there a method or a routine that does that?

Best,

ViennaNight

Re: Find y values in a data series (MS Excel chart) corresponding to x values along x

Absolutely...it's called coding. Sorry, couldn't resist. This sounds a lot like a homework assignment. SO, what have YOU already written (in code, that is), attempting this challenge?

PowerPoster

Re: Find y values in a data series (MS Excel chart) corresponding to x values along x

an algorithm even? the easiest would be linear interpolation.

Or cubic spline interpolation, which is what's typically used in these situations.

Name:  interpolate-2_00.png
Views: 156
Size:  19.0 KB

The "True" and "Cubic Spline" in that example are near identical, whereas the linear can have large inaccuracies.

I've got a cubic spline function. If this is what you think you need, let me know in a post here, and I'll post it.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Here you go. I had it rather deeply integrated into my primary project, but I tore it out and cleaned it up. The following is a class I named clsCubicSpline (saved as CubicSpline.cls):

Code:

Option Explicit
    '
    Private Type CubicSplineDataType
        xData() As Double
        yData() As Double
        SecondDeriv() As Double
    End Type
    '
    Private TheData As CubicSplineDataType
    '

Friend Function SetData(xData() As Double, yData() As Double)
        '
        ' This MUST be called before Value is called.
        ' Once this is called, you can call Value to get cubic spline interpolated values.
        ' The LBound and UBound don't matter, but they must be the same for both xData and yData.
        ' xData need not be interval data (equal distances), but it must be ordinal data (continually increasing).
        ' Errors will occur if either xData or yData isn't dimmed and/or if they're not the same size.
        '
        Dim i As Long
        Dim k As Long
        Dim p As Double
        Dim qn As Double
        Dim sig As Double
        Dim un As Double
        Dim u() As Double
        '
        If LBound(xData) <> LBound(yData) Then Error 12345&                 ' This is a criteria.
        If UBound(xData) <> UBound(yData) Then Error 12345&                 ' This is a criteria.
        '
        ReDim u(LBound(xData) To UBound(xData) - 1&)
        TheData.xData = xData
        TheData.yData = yData
        ReDim TheData.SecondDeriv(LBound(xData) To UBound(xData)) As Double ' These are the 2nd derivative values.
        '
        TheData.SecondDeriv(LBound(xData)) = 0#
        u(LBound(xData)) = 0#
        '
        For i = LBound(xData) + 1 To UBound(xData) - 1
            sig = (xData(i) - xData(i - 1&)) / (xData(i + 1&) - xData(i - 1&))
            p = sig * TheData.SecondDeriv(i - 1&) + 2#
            TheData.SecondDeriv(i) = (sig - 1#) / p
            u(i) = (yData(i + 1&) - yData(i)) / _
                   (xData(i + 1&) - xData(i)) - _
                   (yData(i) - yData(i - 1&)) / _
                   (xData(i) - xData(i - 1&))
            u(i) = (6# * u(i) / (xData(i + 1&) - xData(i - 1&)) - sig * u(i - 1&)) / p
        Next i
        '
        qn = 0#
        un = 0#
        '
        TheData.SecondDeriv(UBound(xData)) = (un - qn * u(UBound(xData) - 1&)) / (qn * TheData.SecondDeriv(UBound(xData) - 1&) + 1#)
        '
        For k = UBound(xData) - 1& To LBound(xData) Step -1&
            TheData.SecondDeriv(k) = TheData.SecondDeriv(k) * TheData.SecondDeriv(k + 1&) + u(k)
        Next k
    End Function

Friend Function Value(xValue As Double) As Double
        '
        ' Once SetData is called, this can be used to return Y values for a given X value based on cubic spline interpolation.
        ' Ideally, the input X values should be within the range of the original X values, or results will be unpredictable.
        '
        Dim k As Long
        Dim kLo As Long
        Dim kHi As Long
        Dim Diff As Double
        Dim b As Double
        Dim a As Double
        '
        kLo = LBound(TheData.xData)
        kHi = UBound(TheData.xData)
        Do
            k = kHi - kLo + LBound(TheData.xData) - 1&
            If TheData.xData(k) > xValue Then
                kHi = k
            Else
                kLo = k
            End If
            k = kHi - kLo + LBound(TheData.xData) - 1&
        Loop While k > LBound(TheData.xData)
        '
        Diff = TheData.xData(kHi) - TheData.xData(kLo)
        a = (TheData.xData(kHi) - xValue) / Diff
        b = (xValue - TheData.xData(kLo)) / Diff
        '
        Value = a * TheData.yData(kLo) + _
                b * TheData.yData(kHi) + _
                ((a * a * a - a) * TheData.SecondDeriv(kLo) + _
                 (b * b * b - b) * TheData.SecondDeriv(kHi)) * (Diff * Diff) / 6#
    End Function

Friend Sub ClearData()
        '
        ' This just clears anything from TheData.
        '
        Erase TheData.xData
        Erase TheData.yData
        Erase TheData.SecondDeriv
    End Sub

I also attached a little "test" project for it which illustrates how you might use it. If you understand interpolation, after reading the brief comments in the code, the rest should be fairly straightforward.

Enjoy,
    Elroy

EDIT1: And Vienna, I apologize if I gave you instructions for a rocket ship when you were trying to understand how to do jumping jacks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Elroy; Jul 2nd, 2018 at 05:09 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.