dcsimg

Thread: How to run VB6 software in Windows 7 when the VB6 Vitual machine gas expired

How to run VB6 software in Windows 7 when the VB6 Vitual machine gas expired

I have hundreds of VB6 programs and source code etc. that I would like to run on my Win 7 Pro 64 computer. It has been quite some time since I last tried this using the XP Vitual Machine that Win 7 installed in the beginning, and now it does not work. When I try to start VB 6 in the VM I get an error message that"license has expired". I know not what license or where, but I would like to still be able to at least open the souce code files to see the code.

Also, I downloaded VB 6.0 Runtime to install so I could run the completed program exe's but I do not know how to install it, since it is a CAB file. WinZip does not seem to recognize it, nor does Win 7.

As a last resort, I do have Visual Studio 8 installed, would it be easier to just use that to open the files and proceed from there?

Pete B

Re: How to run VB6 software in Windows 7 when the VB6 Vitual machine gas expired

First off, you don't need the VB6 runtime. It's been a part of Windows for a very long time.

So your XP Mode VM is working OK but VB6 in the VM is not starting, correct? Do you have any third-party controls or libraries installed? I've seen the licenses on those go bad and keep the entire IDE from starting. If not, try uninstalling VB6, rebooting the VM and installing it again.

Visual Studio 2008 (I presume that's what you have) is not compatible with VB6. It has a migration utility but it doesn't work and Microsoft quit trying to make it work after 2008. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Re: How to run VB6 software in Windows 7 when the VB6 Vitual machine gas expired

Why do you think you need a virtual machine?

Hyperactive Member Hassan Basri's Avatar

For your information, you can open any of the VB6 source code files .frm, .bas, .cls etc... with any text editor (i.e. Notepad, Wordpad etc...) to see the source code.

Also for your information you can install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7 and Windows 10. You just have to follow the steps exactly as described on several articles online.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    I have hundreds of VB6 programs and source code etc. that I would like to run on my Win 7 Pro 64 computer.
    Yeah, that exactly describes my last laptop I retired about a year or so ago (ASUS G73JH). It worked flawlessly for several years, with a great deal of time spent developing VB6 apps on it, all with no VM. I even had to replace the keyboard insert on it a couple of times (wore it out). I've still got it as a backup, but I'm now on a Win10-64 machine (ASUS GL702VS-RS71), and VB6 works flawlessly on it as well, no VM and only one or two shims as recommended by Dilettante. He's got a CodeBank entry about these shims.

As others have stated, absolutely no need for a VM. I've also put together a post on installing the VB6 IDE on Win10-64, found here.

Best Of Luck,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Here's a link to dilettante's post about the shims.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Regarding using Notepad etc. to view source files (.src) I don't find that tp be the case. I have attempted to open several in Notepad and textpad, and the files are loaded with non-alphanumeric characters. However, I agree it should be possible. Any ideas why I see al those garbage charatcers, so much that I cannot read the text?

Pete B

PowerPoster

If you try to open binary files you will get unreadable characters. For example the ocx or frx and of course exe files.
    Source files in VB6 are plain text if you open any .frm .bas file in notepad it will read it just fine as will any of the other code files from vb6. I've been dong it for years.

No idea what .src files would be related to, definitely not a vb6 source file.

Regarding using Notepad etc. to view source files (.src) I don't find that tp be the case. I have attempted to open several in Notepad and textpad, and the files are loaded with non-alphanumeric characters. However, I agree it should be possible. Any ideas why I see al those garbage charatcers, so much that I cannot read the text?

Pete B
    Yeah, I'd have to second Data's comments. Earlier versions of VB (such as VB3) had the option of saving as p-code or ASCII. And I'm not sure where they abandoned the p-code save option, but it's certainly not available in VB6 (making all the BAS, FRM, CLS, CTL, PAG files straight-up ASCII, or possibly ANSI, with all being notepad readable).

Now, also as Data stated, it's possible to do things like specify an icon for a FRM file (or possibly specify a picture for a PictureBox, or specify binary data as a property for a CTL, and other things). And, when you do this, it'll create an auxilliary FRX, CTX, PGX file with the non-ANSI data. However, even in these cases, the primary source code file will still be ANSI.

If you've got an earlier version of VB than VB6, then you've got a bit of a problem. You'd need to install those earlier versions of the IDE, load the projects, and then use the save-as-ASCII option to save the source code. All had that option, but it wasn't the default. In the case of installing those earlier VB versions of the IDE, those may take a VM especially if you have to go all the way back to 16-bit stuff.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Why do you think you need a virtual machine?
    Why? Because when I originally attempted to install VB6 on my new Win 7 Pro PC way back when Win 7 was new, it (Win 7) notified me that legacy WinXP software such as VB6 was not compatible with Win 7 (because VB6 was 16-bit? I do not recall, but I think that was why), however the Win 7 OS itself provided a VM especially configured using a free WinXP OS to run such WinXP software in Win 7 in an environment that operated exactly like the WinXP of yore. And indeed it does run flawlessly, once the VM is configured automatically by Win7 to run such software. So that is why.

I had mostly moved on to the newer versions of VS such as VS 8 shortly after getting this PC, and really did not do much with VB6 over the years, but I did use it sometimes to see what I wanted to port to newer VS versions and to explore some of the (tons of!) great code I had saved from years of running VB6 and especially VBA6 (I used to develop desktop file server applications for users running Office 2000 and XP and earlier, I am retired now).

So let me thank all of you for the replies. I am happy to say that I was able to solve the two issues I reported. The error message I got about expired license etc. apparently was caused by my VM having an outdated AV application on it, the error caused the VM to refuse to run anything, but then after I closed the VM I got a dialogue screen saying I just needed to restart the VM and everything would be OK, and indeed it was.

As for the question about the VB6 Runtime software, I was able to resolve that when I noticed that the install file did not specify an extension. I tacked on a ".exe" and it ran just fine.

I am actually surprised to find that you all run a VB6 IDE in native Win 7, do you actually compile and run the code? Since VB6 is 16-bit, I am surprised VB6 compiled programs would even compile on Win 7, and that it works so well as you say. I may investigate "updating" to a native VB6/Win 7 environment as you say, but I do not really see much advantage to doing so since the legacy output would not run on the new PCs nowadays.

Besides, now that MS started releasing free community editions of Visual Studio, and since I do not do any Enterprise stuff, I find it much easier to do all coding in that environment, and heck, I am only on VS 15, I am still two newer versions behind!! Never the less, I am keeping this thread bookmarked for my future reference if I get the time to try out your suggestions.

Thanks again

Pete B

Pete,

You and I were clearly typing at the same time, please be sure and read my post #8.

Why? Because when I originally attempted to install VB6 on my new Win 7 Pro PC way back when Win 7 was new, it (Win 7) notified me that legacy WinXP software such as VB6 was not compatible with Win 7 (because VB6 was 16-bit? I do not recall, but I think that was why), however the Win 7 OS itself provided a VM especially configured using a free WinXP OS to run such WinXP software in Win 7 in an environment that operated exactly like the WinXP of yore. And indeed it does run flawlessly, once the VM is configured automatically by Win7 to run such software. So that is why.
    Now, regarding that, if it said something about 16-bit, then it wasn't VB6. VB6 (including the IDE) is purely a 32-bit application, and it runs absolutely fine on Win7, Win8, and Win10, 32-bit or 64-bit (under the WoW64 option which is inherently part of all those Windows versions).

Now, something I suppose we neglected to mention, is that you'll occasionally get some error that says something like "the installer did not load correctly, do you wish to continue?" If you just ignore that message, everything will work just fine. There are a couple of "gotcha's" though. Please read my thread to which I provided the link in post #5, and it'll show you how to avoid those.

I am actually surprised to find that you all run a VB6 IDE in native Win 7, do you actually compile and run the code? Since VB6 is 16-bit, I am surprised VB6 compiled programs would even compile on Win 7, and that it works so well as you say. I may investigate "updating" to a native VB6/Win 7 environment as you say, but I do not really see much advantage to doing so since the legacy output would not run on the new PCs nowadays.
    Okay, a couple of problems there. For one, as stated, VB6 is purely 32-bit, and has nothing to do with 16-bit machines. Also, since the introduction of Windows 64-bit OSs, Microsoft has guaranteed (and very successfully done) that 32-bit apps will run just fine. This is what the invisible/pre-installed WoW64 sub-system is all about.

Again, I'm currently on a Win10-64-bit system and I develop VB6 applications virtually everyday, and everything is just fine (and never used a VM).

Good Luck,
    Elroy

Say Pete,

You'll also find that VB6 still has a very active and vibrant community, many of which hang out in these forums. Here's a recent (couple of weeks ago) screen-grab of the main forums page of these forums:

Name:  VB6vsNet(May12_2018).png
Views: 143
Size:  33.6 KB

This wouldn't be possible if VB6 didn't run on contemporary computers. If you find yourself continuing the development of any of your VB6 apps, you should avail yourself of the expertise found on this VB6 forum, as it's quite phenomenal.

Take Care,
    Elroy

PowerPoster

The "XP Mode" VM was made available to help people with old game software and intractable old LOB-coder software limp along on Windows 7. Windows 7 also got an ACME shim to allow the older installers which used the 16-bit bootstrapper to run on a 64-bit OS, which made it even easier to install the VB6 tools than it was on 64-bit Vista.

UAC introduced a new wrinkle, but this wasn't a problem if you's already been doing VB6 development properly anyway. That meant avoiding the use of Power User accounts which are gone now, designing for Standard User operation, as well as not relying on Win XP era appcompat shims for simulating a Windows 9x environment.

Trying to install VB6's runtime libraries should set off an alarm bell. Those have been part of Windows for a very long time and are protected from being overwritten by junk ones from some installation package.

This is like some Rip Van Winkle newly awakened and lost trying to find the blacksmith'as shop as he stumbles into town dodging those consarned horseless carriage contraptions.

Time to get up to speed. Windows 7 falls off extended support in 18 months, and has been out of mainstream support for over 3 years.

Fanatic Member

Everything you've described, getting an error message about a license expired, an outdated AV application resulting in the OS refusing to run anything, downloading the VB 6.0 runtime "Cab" file that wasn't really a Cab file, but apparently an .exe file...none of that makes any sense if this were a clean system.

This all sounds like you've got a malware issue and I would imagine that, unless that VB 6.0 runtime was downloaded directly from Microsoft, that's probably malicious as well.

Yeah, I'd like to second (or third) one thing said by Dil and Opt. Put the "VB6 runtime" out of your mind. There's absolute no need for any consideration of it, as it's been a core part of Windows for a long time, since XP I believe.

If compiled VB6 apps (i.e., EXEs) don't use any custom OCX files (or other ActiveX files), they'll run out-of-the-box, with no installation needed.

Regarding the VB6 IDE, yeah, it needs installation, but it's not a huge deal.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Say Pete,

You'll also find that VB6 still has a very active and vibrant community, many of which hang out in these forums. Here's a recent (couple of weeks ago) screen-grab of the main forums page of these forums:

Name:  VB6vsNet(May12_2018).png
Views: 143
Size:  33.6 KB

This wouldn't be possible if VB6 didn't run on contemporary computers. If you find yourself continuing the development of any of your VB6 apps, you should avail yourself of the expertise found on this VB6 forum, as it's quite phenomenal.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Interesting snapshot. I just looked at the main page and it shows a few less viewing VB6 and a lot more viewing VB.Net 250 something to 360 something. Most of the time when I look the VB.Net area has 50% to 100% more viewers it seems. On the other main forum I visit generally has more in C# than either of the VB areas.

Yeah, we usually run anywhere from 2/3rds to 3/4ths of what .NET runs. But I caught that one the other day where we were blowing them away and had to tap the PrintScreen button and save it.

Still for a decades old language, to run even 2/3rds to 3/4ths of what the latest runs certainly makes a statement.

And then, there are things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Everything you've described, getting an error message about a license expired, an outdated AV application resulting in the OS refusing to run anything, downloading the VB 6.0 runtime "Cab" file that wasn't really a Cab file, but apparently an .exe file...none of that makes any sense if this were a clean system.

This all sounds like you've got a malware issue and I would imagine that, unless that VB 6.0 runtime was downloaded directly from Microsoft, that's probably malicious as well.
    The problem with the error message was not related to the VB issues at all. To amplify, what happened was caused by my installing a then-current copy of my AV software in the VM XP OS when I first started using the VM. It was that AV software that had expired since the last time I used the VM, and it actually just updated itself to my current license when I re-opened the VM.

All that you say may be true regarding the "suspicious" VB6 Runtime and other software, but seeing as how I downloaded the applications from the current updated site of the former "Karen's VB6" website, I know it is not dangerous in any way, as I have many of the other VB tools from that website running for years. As I said, it was just that the files themselves did not have an extension (which means Windows did not knw how to open it), but since VB installers are usually .exe files, I made a guess, gave it that extension, and it has installed with no problems.

I only asked about the VB6 Runtime because it has been so long since I last spent time on VB6, I was not sure I still had the runtime installed. Whatever, all is OK now.

I would perhaps like to reinstall all my VS6 software as native Win7, but I am not sure where I even have the original install disks, I wil search for them and maybe do that. In any case it is just a sideline, as most all my attention these days is to the VS 15 or higher stuff, and mostly in C++ and other programming languages too, especially Python. But I do have tons of VB6 code still stashed away, and I like to browse it now and then.

Thanks again

Pete B

Further: I am well aware of these VB forums, I have browsed them for years, but only intermittently. They are on my Favorites bookmarks list, so I am not going away anytime soon. :=) Thanks for the abundant attention to my original posts. I knowq this is the place to keep updated on all VB6 stuff.

Pete B

Pete,

You should mark this thread as "Resolved".

Name:  Resolved.png
Views: 137
Size:  10.3 KB

If these are truly VB6 files you've got, we've given you tons of advice on how to access them. I guess you're now good-to-go regarding "getting at" these files, but you haven't really said.

Take Care,
    Elroy

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Pete,

You should mark this thread as "Resolved".

Name:  Resolved.png
Views: 137
Size:  10.3 KB

If these are truly VB6 files you've got, we've given you tons of advice on how to access them. I guess you're now good-to-go regarding "getting at" these files, but you haven't really said.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Indeed it is resolved, but just now I do not see anywhere to mark it so. But I do have one more question: I looked for my original VB6 disks and could not find them, and in any case they were on 3.5 floppies as I recall, which I have no way to access on this PC. Is there any way or place to get a free, legit copy of VS 6, so that I can try the suggestions here to install it as a native software package, like with the the free community editions now tha
    that MS supplies for current use?

Pete B

Pete,

Argh, that's a tricky one. I know of a few places where you can download installation copies of it. I'm assuming you've still got your CD Key. Actually, I never saw a version of VB6 that was purely floppies, but there may have been. You're going to need a Key though to get it installed. It should be with your old VB6 package.

If I mention the places I know of, I know that the moderators will delete this post, as it's against VBForums TOS, as it should be. One option is to think "torrent". Another is to think "FTP search". There are also some legacy software warehouse sites. It shouldn't be difficult to find.

Be sure to do a virus scan on anything you get!!!

To Moderators: I hope that's not stepping over the line.

Pete: Good Luck,
    Elroy

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Interesting snapshot. I just looked at the main page and it shows a few less viewing VB6 and a lot more viewing VB.Net 250 something to 360 something. Most of the time when I look the VB.Net area has 50% to 100% more viewers it seems. On the other main forum I visit generally has more in C# than either of the VB areas.
    It isn't unusual to see more viewing the VB6 forum than VB.Net.

Here is a snapshot today...

Name:  vb6-programming.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  26.8 KB

Good to see UWP maintaining its level of popularity too.

After years of telling us C# and VB.Net have similar numbers of users, Microsoft now admit the number of C# users is an order of magnitude larger than VB.Net users.

Thanks for your advice. I started thinking to myself, "how could I have installed the VB and VC software in a VM if I did not have the software in CD format?". Sure enough, I searched for awhile longer and found that I had my original VB 6 and VC 6 software, along with an MSDN library from Oct 1999, all on CDs, genuine MS software with keys and all. So I think I will try to do as you all suggest and just install the software directly in Win 7.

I would not use any non-legitimate stuff on my system anyway, I developed with MS software for many years and purchased everything I needed, so I do not condone piracy. Took a lot of that stuff with me when I retired, so I am legit.

I will be glad to give it a try as a native install to Win 7, because as nice as the VM is, it is still limited in many ways compared to native installations, such as how much virtual disk capacity you have and so on. And it will make my HDD file storage much simpler.

Thanks to you and all the others for your patience with me, much appreciated. Only thing left undone is I still do not see how to mark this thread "Resolved"! I will lok some more, but if you can do it, please feel free to indicate that for me.

Thanks all

Pete B

Just a quick last comment: I did a native install of VB 6 and VC 6, mostly went OK, but I cannot install the MSDN documentataion, it is incomoatible. So I am removing the native installs, do not see much point in keeping them if I cannot get the docs. Still have the VM, so I will just use that.

Pete B

Wow, that's weird. There are a couple of things you have to watch out for when installing the VB6 IDE (zero-byte MSJAVA.DLL, un-check ADO and RDS, register msdatsrc.tlb, install SP6), but I've never had any problems installing the associated MSDN disks.

Elroy

Addicted Member

Just a quick last comment: I did a native install of VB 6 and VC 6, mostly went OK, but I cannot install the MSDN documentataion, it is incomoatible. So I am removing the native installs, do not see much point in keeping them if I cannot get the docs. Still have the VM, so I will just use that.

Pete B
    MSDN should work OK.

Try using Gibra's installer http://nuke.vbcorner.net/ to install on Windows 7 or Windows 10 (including the MSDN library).

OK I will try it again, but Win 7 said the problem is that I am trying to install the MSDN lib from Oct 99 on a 64-bit PC, and it was suggesting I get a new MSDN lib from a MS dealer :=). But looking at that installer, it may do the trick. And it is easy for me tro just keep my VM in casew it does not work....

Thanls again, I will let you know if it worked that way...

Pete B

PS: STILL have not figured out how to matk this thread resolved when the time comes :=) Don't see any control for it anywhere.....

Say Pete,

I think one thing that maybe many of us are overlooking is that this stuff often says something like "Problem with Installation, Continue? Yes/No". That's not the exact message, but it's something like that.

We all just say "Yes/Continue", and it works just fine. I forget if the VB6 (and/or Visual Studio 6) version of the MSDN does that are not. I'm so used to saying "Continue", that I don't even think about it anymore.

Also, be sure you're running elevated (i.e., as local administrator).

Best Of Luck,
    Elroy

Yes, that is about like the messages you get when installing say VB 6, something like Ignore, and I do just continue and all is OK (almost, got some kind of obscure error message at end of VB install, but VC was successful).

But in the case of the MSDN, Win 7 Pro 64 will not even start the install, it immediately states that the software is incompatible with Win 7 and says something like check for a 32-bit or 64-bit version from MS dealers or such. Not surprising since the copy I have, which came at the same time as the VB and VC stuff, is from 1999, almost 20 years ago, back in the days of Win 98 I think.

I'll see if that installer works, but I may be busy elsewhere for awhile before I can work on it...

Pete B