Thread: How to create auto numbering field with SELECT statement in Access Jet SQL?

How to create auto numbering field with SELECT statement in Access Jet SQL?

For example I have this query:

Code:
    SELECT Sort, Field1, Field2 FROM MyTable WHERE Field1='2' AND Field2='1'
    The field called Sort should be generated and doesn't exist in MyTable. I want "Sort" to be auto numbering field which will start from 0 and then increment it self by 2 every next row, so when I get the results, Sort will contain, 0, 2, 4, 6, etc...

How can I do that inside SELECT statement without creating new table?

Or should I create a helper table which will have Sort as PRIMARY KEY and it will be AUTOINCREMENT?

PowerPoster

Re: How to create auto numbering field with SELECT statement in Access Jet SQL?

i am sure you can add a field with autoincrement to your table
    if it for once off just do it manually in access
    or if regular requirment then use VBA to do
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Hmm, maybe a "for" loop with "insert" sql statements.

PowerPoster

then increment it self by 2 every next row
    afaik autoincrement field can only increase by 1, but i guess, you could add 2 fields, an autoincrement and a a field that doubles it

i found this, which should add field to an existing table, but i have not tested
    Code:
    Dim rt As ADOX.Table, cn As ADOX.Catalog
    cn.ActiveConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
          "Data Source=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\" & _
          "Office\Samples\Northwind.mdb;"
    Set rt = cn.Tables("mytable")
    rt.Columns.Append
    rt.Fields("ContactId").Properties("AutoIncrement") = True

if you only want the extra field to be in a recordset, not affecting the table, you could create a record set on the fly, then insert the table based query into the disconnected recordset, not that i have ever done this
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

How big are the resultsets going to be?
    There is the Option with DCount-Function

Code:
    SELECT *, DCount("[ID]","[mytable]","[ID]<=" & [ID]) AS row_id
    FROM [mytable]
    WHERE whatevercriteria
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Check the design of your table for the PK auto increment field. I think the properties allow you to put the step in. However I am unsure whether you can use 0 as the first number... Post back if you test and whether it works

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

Quote Originally Posted by Ecniv View Post
    Check the design of your table for the PK auto increment field. I think the properties allow you to put the step in. However I am unsure whether you can use 0 as the first number... Post back if you test and whether it works
    Not reliable!
    He inserts Datasets, ID-AutoIncrement counts up, first fail is selecting from this table using a different order than ID, second fail is, when he deletes datasets, then he has gaps in ID, since autoincrement doesn't care about past values. it still increments upwards
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Frenzied Member

the following should create a table with an autonumber field with seed of 0 and increment of 2
    (tested in access 2003
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE  T1 (Sort COUNTER (0,2),Field1 CHAR (20))
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever