dcsimg

VB6 - How to obtain legally?

Now that we're making the jump from our licensed VB3 Pro to VB6 (goodbye XP virtual machine), what are the best options on legally obtaining a version of VB6?

I note there are ISO's available online (e.g. WinWordPC.com). Also, lots of pre-owned versions on eBay.

I'm unclear on how Microsoft views the licensing on the 20 year old development suite that is Visual Basic 6?

Also, any views on which flavour to adopt... Enterprise, Professional? Visual Studio or just Visual Basic?

Thanks in advance folks...
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    MorkenTheMonk
    SCOTLAND

(Stuck supporting a 16-bit VB3 application over 20 years old! Deep Joy!!!)

Re: VB6 - How to obtain legally?

The ONLY way is to purchase a MSDN Subscription Professional, next you can download the only version of VB6.0 Enteprise Edition.

Not quite the ONLY way, but the other option is to search eBay. Somebody recently posted a few links to what look like valid, boxed, copies of VB6. This would be far cheaper than an MSDN subscription, but you get a whole lot more with the MSDN subscription, so you'd have to decide for yourself what makes the most sense.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

It was me who posted that list. However, I'll search again and re-make the list here.

Morken, the only "gotcha" is the Learning Edition. There's a bit of debate about this, but it's my understanding that you can't make full-blown executables with the Learning Edition. In other words, you're sort of stuck executing your code in the IDE. Hmmm, I guess another "gotcha" are the upgrades. I'm not sure if your VB3 disks would qualify for upgrading or not. I'd tend to just stay away from the upgrades.

Beyond that Visual Basic 6 Standard/Academic/Professional, or Visual Studio 6 Standard/Academic/Professional should get you down the road.

Yes, as Gibra and Shaggy outlined, you can go through the MSDN and get it. You subscribe, get it, and then unsubscribe. I've read the fine-print, and, supposedly, you get to keep the licenses you've downloaded on the machines on which they're installed even after unsubscribing. However, the subscription to get to the level to download the VB6 IDE is somewhat expensive.

Therefore, I always tell people that eBay is the best option. With just a quick search, here are a few links that look good to me (but, of course, you're really on your own, but I've purchased several copies this way through the years):

Here
    or Here
    or Here

Scroll down in eBay for similar products to see more.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Also, just as a further FYI, I might stay away from that first link. It's probably the IDE, which is what you need. But it looks like the MSDN disks may not be included, and the're very nice to have, as that's what's behind the F1 help while in the IDE. It looks like link #2 and #3 would include those.
    Last edited by Elroy; Jun 25th, 2018 at 12:15 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Kinda thought it was you, but I couldn't remember where, so I didn't check.

eBay? No thank.
    Are all products used. Say in 'good condition' but you discover this only after purchased.
    No thank.

I've purchased about 5 copies of VB6 from eBay (for myself and clients), and I've never had a problem. Yes, they are all used, but all you really need is the xxx-xxxxxxx CD key in your possession to be legal:

Name:  CDKey.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  19.9 KB

That thing.

I suspect Morken already has the VB6 IDE installed, and is just trying to get legal in case the issue ever comes up, and I totally understand that.

Morken, good luck with it.

Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

At my age, maybe I'll quit all this foolishness as let my (legal) copy go for a few hundred!

Alas, seriously....check out this link and contact the seller:

https://vermont.craigslist.org/sop/d...613894126.html

PS---I'm originally FROM Vermont, so it MUST be a legit offer! ~smile~

hahaha, that's pretty weird Sam. I'm not sure I'd touch it though. Something's just wrong there. Not sure what though.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I've purchased about 5 copies of VB6 from eBay (for myself and clients), and I've never had a problem. Yes, they are all used, but all you really need is the xxx-xxxxxxx CD key in your possession to be legal...
    We've been over this many times here. The EULA states that a legal transfer of license requires all of the original materials to be turned over.

But at this point it hardly matters. The product and its community appear to be dead... "at last" a lot of the .Net fans say, or "oh no" a lot of people who must still support existing applications.

Well you can always use Gambas. My stomach hurts, I laughed too hard.

Frenzied Member

Dead... have they even seen this forum? O_o
    But dead or not, if you're a company with any other licensed product that the BSA might 'help you verify' with a 'friendly audit', I suspect the VB6 license would still matter. But you all know what I think home users ought to do

Yes, they are all used
    Exactly. Since it is used, no one can say that the license is legal, regardless of the product key.
    To make sure it is legal, the product must be new.

Fanatic Member

as vb6 is such an old product its quite obvious its hard to get new and we need to be happy we can get it used and that microsoft offer it on their sub site. no, im with Elroy, the importance is the product key, with that even if the cd dont work you can always get it illegally and register it with the key unlimited times.

supposedly, you get to keep the licenses you've downloaded on the machines on which they're installed even after unsubscribing.
    For MSDN, any licences/disks etc you obtain whilst the subscription is 'active' you own 'for life' - irrespective of the state of the subscription. Note that MSDN licences can't be re-assigned - they belong to the original owner 'in perpetuity'. ie the MSDN disks/licences etc can't be given or sold legally to a 3rd party - unlike the commercial 'boxed product'.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

hahaha, that's pretty weird Sam. I'm not sure I'd touch it though. Something's just wrong there. Not sure what though.
    Not sure either, but sent email to owner. Let's see if I get a legit copy (with license key) or not.

PS- I ALREADY have an original complete, legal, copy of Visual Studio 6.0 (bought new in 98, 99 or 00). Just thought I'd test this CL ad.

Dilettante,

You are often confusing to me. Clearly, you're a quite talented VB6 programmer, quite prolific in the CodeBank, and a frequent contributor to this VB6 forum. However, at times, you seem to do everything in your power to shoot VB6 in the foot (or maybe it's the head).

Do you secretly work for Microsoft? Are you the guy who decided to move the VB product away from COM architecture, thereby orphaning the true VB line, and still trying to rationalize that awful decision?

Just wondering.

You Take Care,
    Elroy

I suspect Morken already has the VB6 IDE installed, and is just trying to get legal in case the issue ever comes up, and I totally understand that.

Morken, good luck with it.

Elroy
    You are quite correct Sir, testing feasibility of migrating our VB3 code to an "evaluation" copy of VB6. Worth £150 or so to ensure we OWN a legitimate Product Key, especially if our software is used commercially.

Cheers...
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    MorkenTheMonk
    SCOTLAND

Quote Originally Posted by MorkenTheMonk View Post
    You are quite correct Sir, testing feasibility of migrating our VB3 code to an "evaluation" copy of VB6. Worth £150 or so to ensure we OWN a legitimate Product Key, especially if our software is used commercially.
    hahaha, Morken, you're not suppose to admit that in a public forum. *laughs more* I hope and assume you're getting legal soon though.

Morken, the only "gotcha" is the Learning Edition. There's a bit of debate about this, but it's my understanding that you can't make full-blown executables with the Learning Edition. In other words, you're sort of stuck executing your code in the IDE.
    That's my understanding as well. At the time, several VB6 books included this VB6 Learning Edition CD. If I remember right (its a very long time ago and I haven't used VB for years and years...), you didn't have to have a licence, you just had to register your usage - effectively it was free and distributable.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

Let's keep this to the topic: If there is a legal question about a copy of VB6 bought online, then that's an issue. Whether or not there are any jobs in the language is not part of the issue.

I don't know anything at all about VB3. I was under the impression it was quite different from VB6, so I wonder why you'd step forwards only a few years if it still means a re-write, but if the reason for that is good, then I'd say you have your options already.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I don't know anything at all about VB3. I was under the impression it was quite different from VB6
    Hi Shaggy,

I date back to CP/M BASIC compilers (and interpreters even earlier), and have been developing and carrying forward code all the way from those days, through MS/PC-DOS, Windows 3.1, etc. And updating the BASIC code through all the iterations of BASIC, and through the VB's as well.

Particularly when we got to VB for Windows (moving away from VB-DOS), upgrading has been a very easy matter. Other than some saving BAS and FRM files as p-code vs ASCII, and some other fairly minor polishing, I've always found VB upgrades to be very easy.

It was only when they went to .NET that there was a major rewrite and abandonment of much that VB (specifically VB6) had to offer. And that's why this forum matches the activity of the .NET forum. VB6 was the most prevalent language on the planet at one time, and still enjoys an immense level of popularity, even if a great deal of that popularity derives from maintaining a well established code-base.

All The Best,
    Elroy

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I don't know anything at all about VB3. I was under the impression it was quite different from VB6, so I wonder why you'd step forwards only a few years if it still means a re-write, but if the reason for that is good, then I'd say you have your options already.
    Thanks for the reply Shaggy.

Reason for migrating VB3 project such a short version-distance to VB6 is purely to convert our 16-bit application to 32-bit in order that we can run in natively in Windows 7/10 without requiring an XP Virtual Machine. As far as re-writing the code, virtually NONE was required... the main headache with VB6 was getting the IDE configured and legacy ActiveX modules recognised and registered. My understanding is that VB3 to VB.NET would have been a major re-write!

Over the last couple of days, we've migrated and re-compiled our original VB3 code in VB6, created an .EXE, and are able to run that on a 64-bit Windows 10 machine. Decent progress!

Cheers...
    MorkenTheMonk
    SCOTLAND

Frenzied Member

What is the nature of the app?
    Imagine what it would be like to set breakpoints in, or step through subclassing code;
    and then being able to hit stop/end/debug or continue, without crashing the IDE.

VB6.tlb | Bulletproof Subclassing in the IDE (no thunks/assembly/DEP issues)

Over the last couple of days, we've migrated and re-compiled our original VB3 code in VB6, created an .EXE, and are able to run that on a 64-bit Windows 10 machine. Decent progress!
    WOW, that's fantastic to hear. I was taking some personal degree of responsibility here, having been one of the ones who recommended it early on.

Personally, I truly believe you should be able to go forward for quite some time using VB6, as Microsoft has guaranteed that VB6 apps will run on Win10 so long as the WoW64 is installed (which is pre-installed on all desktop versions of Windows).

And if you can ignore the occasional ego-flairs on these forums, this is a truly incredible source of VB6 expertise, all the way from minor improvements to loops, to digging deep into the running memory copy of an executable and tweaking the machine code.

Best Of Luck To You,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Jun 27th, 2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    What is the nature of the app?
    The app allows the user to define a number of double-glazed doors and windows (the glass kind, not the computer kind), by height, width, glass type, handles, etc. It then goes off and loads pricing information from dBASE IV databases for each of the different components that make up the doors and windows, calculating a cost for the double-glazing. The clever bit is that it does this for a number of different suppliers, effectively competitively tendering them against one another. All of this is output on sales documents.

We used to have to snail-mail manual drawings to each supplier, and await their snail-mail quotes back to us (in the days before email/interwebs).
    MorkenTheMonk
    SCOTLAND

WOW, that's fantastic to hear. I was taking some personal degree of responsibility here, having been one of the ones who recommended it early on.

Personally, I truly believe you should be able to go forward for quite some time using VB6, as Microsoft has guaranteed that VB6 apps will run on Win10 so long as the WoW64 is installed (which is pre-installed on all desktop versions of Windows).

And if you can ignore the occasional ego-flairs on these forums, this is a truly incredible source of VB6 expertise, all the way from minor improvements to loops, to digging deep into the running memory copy of an executable and tweaking the machine code.

Best Of Luck To You,
    Elroy
    Thanks for all of your help and advice getting me to this point. I'm sure I'll have a multitude of questions in the future, however this forum seems an invaluable resource
    MorkenTheMonk
    SCOTLAND

I drive the Learning Edition - upgraded (I can hear the snickers now) - I've had it for 20+ years - there is a world of difference between the pro and enterprise editions - if you are just a hobbyist you might be might to get by with that..maybe not..for what I do is tinker and make *.exes with no difficulty

Jeff

Hmmm, with the exception of the SourceSafe stuff (used to "check out" various modules, and which I always had problems with) that I don't think anyone uses anymore; and maybe drivers for all kinds of older databases that are no longer in use, I can't recall any significant differences from any of the non-Learning editions. I'm sure there are other differences I'm not remembering, but I'm not sure any are relevant at this late date.

Habenero, I'd be interested in what "Learning Edition - upgraded" means.

Take Care,
    Elroy

Frenzied Member

Dilettante,

You are often confusing to me. Clearly, you're a quite talented VB6 programmer, quite prolific in the CodeBank, and a frequent contributor to this VB6 forum. However, at times, you seem to do everything in your power to shoot VB6 in the foot (or maybe it's the head).

Do you secretly work for Microsoft? Are you the guy who decided to move the VB product away from COM architecture, thereby orphaning the true VB line, and still trying to rationalize that awful decision?

Just wondering.

You Take Care,
    Elroy
    Well that would certainly explain why he thinks anyone who has an issue with Win10 is just crazy, since it's teh best evar!!! and all the problems (liked forced installs, forced updates, forced telemetry, built-in ads and crapware) are just tiny insignificant trivialities
    It's ok we love you anyway dilettante

Frenzied Member

Thanks for the reply Shaggy.

Reason for migrating VB3 project such a short version-distance to VB6 is purely to convert our 16-bit application to 32-bit in order that we can run in natively in Windows 7/10 without requiring an XP Virtual Machine. As far as re-writing the code, virtually NONE was required... the main headache with VB6 was getting the IDE configured and legacy ActiveX modules recognised and registered. My understanding is that VB3 to VB.NET would have been a major re-write!

Cheers...
    Yeah .NET basically requires re-writing from scratch; which is why so many of us still stay with VB6. .NET is a whole different language; there's an upgrade wizard, but for anything more complicated than Hello World there's so much unsupported, unupgradable, or incorrectly upgraded code that a total rewrite would almost certainly be faster than trying to clean up after the wizard.
    VB3-6 on the other hand, as you discovered, are nearly entirely backwards compatible, the main reason why only 6 has any kind of support. There's so many businesses in your situation with legacy VB apps that support almost certainly won't be going away until they drop 32-bit support entirely, so with VB6 you're good for years to come. Even better is that VB6 is still perfectly suited to creating native Win32 desktop applications; in fact for many application types it's *still* superior to VB.NET. Thanks to members around here, you could even modernize your ancient app with multithreading, Unicode, or make the UI as good as any other Windows app.
    So as long as the core business purpose is still there, rewriting to .NET is time consuming, expensive, and doesn't offer all too much in the way of new features (that can't be added in 6), so doesn't offer a compelling value proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Yeah .NET basically requires re-writing from scratch; which is why so many of us still stay with VB6. .NET is a whole different language; there's an upgrade wizard, but for anything more complicated than Hello World there's so much unsupported, unupgradable, or incorrectly upgraded code that a total rewrite would almost certainly be faster than trying to clean up after the wizard.
    VB3-6 on the other hand, as you discovered, are nearly entirely backwards compatible, the main reason why only 6 has any kind of support. There's so many businesses in your situation with legacy VB apps that support almost certainly won't be going away until they drop 32-bit support entirely, so with VB6 you're good for years to come. Even better is that VB6 is still perfectly suited to creating native Win32 desktop applications; in fact for many application types it's *still* superior to VB.NET. Thanks to members around here, you could even modernize your ancient app with multithreading, Unicode, or make the UI as good as any other Windows app.
    So as long as the core business purpose is still there, rewriting to .NET is time consuming, expensive, and doesn't offer all too much in the way of new features (that can't be added in 6), so doesn't offer a compelling value proposition.
    Well said.

Now that we're making the jump from our licensed VB3 Pro to VB6 (goodbye XP virtual machine), what are the best options on legally obtaining a version of VB6?

I note there are ISO's available online (e.g. WinWordPC.com). Also, lots of pre-owned versions on eBay.

I'm unclear on how Microsoft views the licensing on the 20 year old development suite that is Visual Basic 6?

Also, any views on which flavour to adopt... Enterprise, Professional? Visual Studio or just Visual Basic?

Thanks in advance folks...

Sorry to reply late to this thread. I just bought a brand new copy off of ebay with original paper EULA etc, for $125. Flawlessly preserved! Make sure that you get one with the paper EULA to avoid loophole in law. The paper copy over-rides any digital EULA included. The clause is that all materials are to be handed over, and a missing paper EULA could be a problem technically in a court of law. Although the digital EULA says/implies directly that some box sets may not have a paper EULA, those are difficult to prove upon resale. To prove that in fact all materials were surrendered.

The learning edition is absolutely identical from what I remember. It's just the product key that is different, with non-distributible rights. You would test your applications and skills to make sure they work good, then get a license.

BTW, buy the Professional edition. Microsoft probably endorses Enterprise because it fails upon install, requiring certain options to be deselected. Moreover Professional has a working option that enterprise does not, I think it was called visual...app manager, rather than visual...analyzer. The install and operation of Professional is smoother for sure, at least on Windows 10 (1803).

There are many situations where VB6 applications work very well, while the same .NET application counterpart does not. The more advanced the code, and the more the need for fast performance, the better suited is VB6. So after years of working with .NET I have decided to come back and develop with a serious platform that won't move around on me.

Quote Originally Posted by TTn View Post
    Sorry to reply late to this thread. I just bought a brand new copy off of ebay with original paper EULA etc, for $125. Flawlessly preserved! Make sure that you get one with the paper EULA to avoid loophole in law. The paper copy over-rides any digital EULA included. The clause is that all materials are to be handed over, and a missing paper EULA could be a problem technically in a court of law. Although the digital EULA says/implies directly that some box sets may not have a paper EULA, those are difficult to prove upon resale. To prove that in fact all materials were surrendered.

The learning edition is absolutely identical from what I remember. It's just the product key that is different, with non-distributible rights. You would test your applications and skills to make sure they work good, then get a license.

BTW, buy the Professional edition. Microsoft probably endorses Enterprise because it fails upon install, requiring certain options to be deselected. Moreover Professional has a working option that enterprise does not, I think it was called visual...app manager, rather than visual...analyzer. The install and operation of Professional is smoother for sure, at least on Windows 10 (1803).

There are many situations where VB6 applications work very well, while the same .NET application counterpart does not. The more advanced the code, and the more the need for fast performance, the better suited is VB6. So after years of working with .NET I have decided to come back and develop with a serious platform that won't move around on me.
    Thanks for all of the info TTn
    MorkenTheMonk
    SCOTLAND