Thread: Can Xamarin's cross-platform technology be used for VB6?

PowerPoster

Can Xamarin's cross-platform technology be used for VB6?

I just read an article saying that the most popular game in China, "King of Glory", is a cross-platform game developed using Unity3d (.NET C#), and its technology is based on Mono's native cross-platform technology invented by Xamarin. In other words, Xamarin can natively compile .NET C# code into Jar packages for Java native calls, or compile .NET C# code into obj-c, swift, and C++ class libs for native invocation from various target platforms.

I wonder if there is a technology similar to Xamarin that can compile VB6 code into Jar packages for Java native calls, or compile VB6 code into obj-c, swift, and C++ class libs for native invocation from various target platforms?

PowerPoster

Re: Can Xamarin's cross-platform technology be used for VB6?

Xamarin is a "native nowhere" technology. Here's a sure sign that you have foolishly installed something created with Xamarin:

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 180
Size:  13.9 KB

If you look deeper into Xamarin you will quickly find that there is no "magic" there.

It basically requires you to write applets as blobs of common UI-less code and separate sets of native-like UIs to front-end that. The common code and UI code make use of a rather large runtime and libraries bundled with every app, different for each platform. The libraries are not very granular so applets tend to drag in lots of large libraries.

When you start a Xamarin applet your phone will say "Oink" each time.

PowerPoster

I know that Xamarin's cross-platform technology can't be applied to VB6, so I don't look deeper into it, but its idea is worth learning from. IMO, Xamarin is a converter that can convert C# to other programming languages.

An excellent converter can often solve some difficult problems. For example, TypeScript is a converter of JavaScript, which solves some of the annoying problems of JavaScript.

Before we can get a new VB6 compiler, maybe developing a VB6 converter is a good choice.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Xamarin is a "native nowhere" technology. Here's a sure sign that you have foolishly installed something created with Xamarin:

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 180
Size:  13.9 KB
    that is a sign that you need to update your Galaxy S4