Thread: Is VB what I should be using?

Is VB what I should be using?

Hello all-

I'm a new user to VB and programming altogether. I manage a small customer service team and want to build some basic applications that work like a decision tree. The image I've conjured in my head is a program that requires some data entry and some yes/no type questions and produces a predetermined resolution based on answers given by the user.

I want some finished answers to link out to documents on a company GDRIVE.

I don't know VB terminology or basic programming terminology to begin to know where to look for the instructional material to guide me through.

Can anyone recommend some basic videos, or sites to guide me through this learning experience?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Re: Is VB what I should be using?

Based on your description, a whole host of languages would be appropriate and VB.NET is one of them. I'd suggest that you start with the basics and then you will probably have a better idea of the specifics you need to research further. There's a tutorial link in my signature below that can get you started.

VB.NET is a fine choice, unless you intend this to be a web application, in which case you'd probably be better off with JavaScript, or even just HTML. But for desktop, VB is likely the best.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Thanks jmcilhinney!

Good to know. Thank you Shaggy.

Fanatic Member

In a VB forum, you just might get some bias...

However, don't let anyone ever tell you that VB is inferior to any other language (and some will try) - it has all of the most useful features of other languages, such as C# or Java. It is, like C# and Java, much easier to use than C++. It can access .NET UI libraries, such as WPF, Windows Forms, and UWP, just as easily as C#. It is as object-oriented as any of the other popular languages.
    David Anton
    Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java
    www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com