Thread: Conecting to a remote SQL Server

Conecting to a remote SQL Server

Hi, I dont know if I'm posting in the right place.
    I have some troubles whit a already extracted / compiled program that I don't have the source code to manage.
    It happens that this program usually was connecting to a local sqlserver named 'TURBOSERVER' with Windows Autentication login. It happens that now, the same server is a remote server, with the same name. There's any way to connect to the new server, since the program only searchs for a local server named 'TURBOSERVER'? Maybe with a UDL file?
    Thanks

Re: Conecting to a remote SQL Server

It depends exactly where the application stores its connection information. If it's a .NET application then there's a chance that the connection string is stored in the config file, so you can simply edit that by hand. That information may be hard-coded or stored in the Registry or somewhere else though. We can't really guess.

By the way, this is not really about network programming so I've asked the mods to move it to Database Development.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Thread moved.

It was a toss up between DB or one of the programming forums. As the immediate problem is tracking down where that connection is being configured from I figure a programming forum is better for now. You haven't specified which language it was written in so I've taken a stab at VB.Net. If it's in a different language, let us know and we'll move it as appropriate.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Thanks for reply.
    I could manage to solve the issue with a must easier way. I've created an alias to remote server named with the same name of the original server the software use look for.
    It works fine now.
    Thanks