Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Space Force

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Space Force

I'll say you were fault
    Is that smiley saluting...?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

The Space Force is now fully funded and operational as of December 20th 2019. You can now enlist here

https://www.spaceforce.mil/Home/fbcl...Wz7GSKFZvzTBMU

Service guarantees citizenship! Would you like to know more?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    The Space Force is now fully funded and operational as of December 20th 2019. You can now enlist here

https://www.spaceforce.mil/Home/fbcl...Wz7GSKFZvzTBMU

Service guarantees citizenship! Would you like to know more?
    I wonder if it will continue to be funded once the moron is gone?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Yeah, it probably will.

As much as the name is silly (I think Starship Troopers, too), and I find it hard to believe that Trump even knows what he's talking about on this subject, there IS a need for something like this. The US is WAY too highly dependent on satellite services. Unlike many other countries, we don't have an alternative network that can take over if the satellites are knocked out. There have been efforts to remedy this for decades, but it has yet to be implemented. Meanwhile, an increasing number of countries have demonstrated the capability to shoot down satellites, so the threat is very real.

Of course, there isn't a huge need for numbers of people in this organization. There won't be people in spacesuits trying to fire guns in zero g (thought that WOULD have a high entertainment value). Still, it's an area that we've been ignoring for decades, and we'll end up paying for it severely if we continue to do so.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, it probably will.

As much as the name is silly (I think Starship Troopers, too), and I find it hard to believe that Trump even knows what he's talking about on this subject, there IS a need for something like this. The US is WAY too highly dependent on satellite services. Unlike many other countries, we don't have an alternative network that can take over if the satellites are knocked out. There have been efforts to remedy this for decades, but it has yet to be implemented. Meanwhile, an increasing number of countries have demonstrated the capability to shoot down satellites, so the threat is very real.

Of course, there isn't a huge need for numbers of people in this organization. There won't be people in spacesuits trying to fire guns in zero g (thought that WOULD have a high entertainment value). Still, it's an area that we've been ignoring for decades, and we'll end up paying for it severely if we continue to do so.
    Seems like the money could have gone to the U.S. Space Command versus setting up a whole new military bureaucracy.

I find it hard to believe that Trump even knows what he's talking about on this subject
    I couldn't agree with you more. That is the moron that asked on more then occasion why we don't drop nuclear bombs on hurricanes to stop them.

Maybe he could use the space farce to wipe out all those horrible wind mills...

Well, you can never be certain with him. If you remember the original Starship Troopers movie, all the gals were models. That might be his motivation. On the other hand, considering the increasing dependence of this country on space based resources, and the fact that the issue has been so often ignored, I'd be inclined to accept the argument that this is too important to be a branch of some other service.

Starship Troopers ehy? But that would mean space marines like in aliens. Im leaning towards Star Trek on this one. Space Marines can be its own branch in itself.

You were the one with the Starship Troopers phrase.

Star Trek would be great, but we're severely short on the technical side of things.

PowerPoster

Star Trek would be great, but we're severely short on the technical side of things.
    Especially when it comes to speed. Took 40 years for Voyager to reach the outer bounds of our solar system. And that's just a guess, they're not sure where it ends.

Consider this, nearest star (besides our star) is 4+ light years away. Voyager has been traveling for 42 years and is 20 light HOURS (not even one light day) away.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Dec 26th, 2019 at 11:00 PM.

PowerPoster

Removed inappropriate comments ...
    Last edited by dreammanor; Dec 27th, 2019 at 01:44 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    IMO, this plan is not for interstellar travel, it has the following purposes:
    (1) U.S. military just wanted to use the new "Star Wars Program" to bring down China, just as it did to the Soviet Union.
    (2) U.S. arms dealers just want to use the new "Star Wars Program" to make a lot of money. (Because a lot of money is now being taken away by Wall Street and IT companies)
    (3) U.S. politicians just want to use the new "Star Wars Program" to get votes.

The question is:
    Does the United States have sufficient funds and technology to implement this plan? Without at least $ 1 trillion invested, this plan will not produce breakthrough results.

Also, I guess China will not join this arms race game, and China is willing to spend more money to build high-speed rail.
    This was a fun friendly thread, why must you insert your political propaganda into a thread like this. Just stop, please

PowerPoster

Sorry, please the moderator delete my post, @Shaggy Hiker, @FunkyDexter.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Dec 27th, 2019 at 01:48 AM.

Hi Dreamanor. We can't really delete your post, I'm afraid, because it's already been quoted. However, I don't think it was at all inappropriate. In fact, I suspect it was wholly accurate.

With reference to your specific points:-
    1. Probably not aimed specifically at China but does the US want to dominate a potential new theatre of conflict? Hell Yes.
    2. Are arms dealers going to make a shed of cash out of this? Hell Yes.
    3. Does Trump see it as a populist move that's likely to reinforce his voter base? Hell Yes.

Honestly, the whole space race has been rooted in conflict since right back to the 50s. That hasn't changed. We tend not to object too hard because science has gained massively through this but we shouldn't forget what drives this. It's not "the good of all man" and it never was.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'd be inclined to accept the argument that this is too important to be a branch of some other service
    Please take a look at what the U.S. Space Command does (assuming you do not already know):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._Space_Command

Their funding could have just been increased. Now we have one more overlapping military bureaucracy.

But they don't have models!! Where are your priorities???

I'd buy Space Force Models as long as they were Hasbro

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Especially when it comes to speed. Took 40 years for Voyager to reach the outer bounds of our solar system. And that's just a guess, they're not sure where it ends.

Consider this, nearest star (besides our star) is 4+ light years away. Voyager has been traveling for 42 years and is 20 light HOURS (not even one light day) away.
    Voyager didn't have engines, at least not ones that kept the acceleration going for very long. There are designs that could get there far faster with constant acceleration. Of course, by the time you passed Neptune, you'd be going a bit fast to stop...

PowerPoster

Voyager didn't have engines, at least not ones that kept the acceleration going for very long. There are designs that could get there far faster with constant acceleration. Of course, by the time you passed Neptune, you'd be going a bit fast to stop...
    Yeah Nuclear Pulse Propulsion can achieve far greater speeds than chemical engines but even with them it would take @ 100yrs to reach Alpha Centauri. If we were on a Five Year Mission To Explore Strange New Worlds, we wouldn't find much. Hopefully some brilliant minds will come alone and make breakthroughs. Wish I was around when it happened, I'd like to go to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Then maybe a little farther so I could see what's on the other side of the universe.

Yeah Nuclear Pulse Propulsion can achieve far greater speeds than chemical engines but even with them it would take @ 100yrs to reach Alpha Centauri.

Pfffft, always in a rush! Patience, patience, all in good time.

PowerPoster

Pfffft, always in a rush! Patience, patience, all in good time.
    Us old people have to be in a rush, we're running out of time. lol

Dont forget theres an asteroid out there that NASA plans on seeking thats worth 10,000 quadrillion dollars worth of iron. Space mining is the future.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...t-tracked/amp/

Yeah Nuclear Pulse Propulsion can achieve far greater speeds than chemical engines but even with them it would take @ 100yrs to reach Alpha Centauri. If we were on a Five Year Mission To Explore Strange New Worlds, we wouldn't find much.
    A generation ship would make it to Aplha Centauri with no problem. It would have to be extremely huge, have enough people to reproduce safely, and advance probes to warn of asteroids crossing it's path to it's destination.

We just need a few trillion dollars to build it within a generation or two's time. Easy!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 27th, 2019 at 10:40 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123