Thread: Refresh Pivot and Sort By Data Source Order

Refresh Pivot and Sort By Data Source Order

I have many differents Worksheets with 1 or more pivot tables, their source is always a worksheet.

For example, the source of a PivotTable is "sheet_data1!$A$1:$I$1149". The worksheet "sheet_data1" has 1149 rows. I have a program that changed this worksheet and it could increase or decrease the number of rows in that sheet.

So the pivot will not calculate certain rows if there are more rows tha before or consider empty rows when there are less rows than before.

This is the code to change the source:
    Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
        For Each St In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            For Each pt In St.PivotTables
                    Dim StartPoint As Range
                    Dim NewRange As String
                    Dim LastCol As Long
                    Dim lastRow As Long
                    Dim Data_Sheet As Worksheet
                    Dim DataRange As Range

Set Data_Sheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(Split(pt.PivotCache.SourceData, "!")(0))
                    Set StartPoint = Data_Sheet.Range("A1")
                    LastCol = StartPoint.End(xlToRight).Column
                    DownCell = StartPoint.End(xlDown).Row

Set DataRange = Data_Sheet.Range(StartPoint, Data_Sheet.Cells(DownCell, LastCol))
                    NewRange = Data_Sheet.Name & "!" & DataRange.Address(ReferenceStyle:=xlR1C1)

pt.ChangePivotCache ActiveWorkbook. _
                    PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:=NewRange)
            Next
        Next
    End Sub
    Now the problem is that I need the items to be in the same order of the data source but when I change the data source with the code above, it keeps the order of the old table while placing the new values at the end.

For example, I have a field called month(it's a string and it would make other things more complicated if changed to another type). In the previous data source it was in the same order as the data source :

May/2017
    Jun/2017
    Jul/2017
    Aug/2017
    Sep/2017
    Oct/2017
    Nov/2017
    Dec/2017
    Jan/2018
    Feb/2018
    Mar/2018
    Apr/2018
    May/2018

Now the data source added 4 more months but the pivot table is not in the same order as the data source.

Pivot after data source was changed and refreshed:
    May/2017
    Jun/2017
    Jul/2017
    Aug/2017
    Sep/2017
    Oct/2017
    Nov/2017
    Dec/2017
    Jan/2018
    Feb/2018
    Mar/2018
    Apr/2018
    May/2018
    Apr/2017
    Mar/2017
    Feb/2017
    Jan/2017

New Data Source Order
    Jan/2017
    Feb/2017
    Mar/2017
    Apr/2017
    May/2017
    Jun/2017
    Jul/2017
    Aug/2017
    Sep/2017
    Oct/2017
    Nov/2017
    Dec/2017
    Jan/2018
    Feb/2018
    Mar/2018
    Apr/2018
    May/2018

I heard this is a problem with the pivots cache but didnt find a way to solve. Anyone knows how to solve this?
    Last edited by kadzu; Jun 18th, 2018 at 01:57 PM.

Re: Refresh Pivot and Sort By Data Source Order

Set all sources to the max rows (50000?) and set the option of blank to ignore/do not display.

otherwise... on an initialise or open event or button refresh event youd need to loop all the pivots get the source, return to the top left, and re-make the range selected to the new range... then update the pivot.
    this would require the titles to be complete with no breaks and a column that is guarenteed to have data in always, so you can move around the sheet quickly.

Sorting should be able to be applied to the pivot tables (if i recall correctly). If you change the source I think it forces them to refresh anyway.. just lose any customizations on the pivots if manually applied.

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

Re: Refresh Pivot and Sort By Data Source Order

I think I solved(still looking for possible troubles caused by this solution but none found so far) :

1. I created one empty version of each sheet thats used as a source(with the name of the original + "_empty")
    2. I changed the source of each sheet to their equivalent emptysheet. The empty sheets need to have the same header and at least one row with data with columns in the same type as the original but different values(they cant be have the same value of anything in the original) so just put some random values that you are sure to never show up in the original.
    3. I cleared the missing values in the cache with "PivotCache.MissingItemsLimit = xlMissingItemsNone"
    4. I change source to the original sheets
    5. I cleared the missing values in the cache with "PivotCache.MissingItemsLimit = xlMissingItemsNone" to remove trash from emptysheet

Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
        For Each St In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            For Each pt In St.PivotTables
                Dim StartPoint As Range
                Dim NewRange As String
                Dim EmptyRange As String
                Dim LastCol As Long
                Dim lastRow As Long
                Dim Data_Sheet As Worksheet
                Dim DataRange As Range

Set Data_Sheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(Split(pt.PivotCache.SourceData, "!")(0))
                Set StartPoint = Data_Sheet.Range("A1")
                LastCol = StartPoint.End(xlToRight).Column
                DownCell = StartPoint.End(xlDown).Row

Set DataRange = Data_Sheet.Range(StartPoint, Data_Sheet.Cells(DownCell, LastCol))
                EmptyRange = Data_Sheet.Name & "_empty!" & DataRange.Address(ReferenceStyle:=xlR1C1)

PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:=EmptyRange)

pt.PivotCache.MissingItemsLimit = xlMissingItemsNone
                pt.PivotCache.Refresh

NewRange = Data_Sheet.Name & "!" & DataRange.Address(ReferenceStyle:=xlR1C1)
                PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:=NewRange)

pt.PivotCache.MissingItemsLimit = xlMissingItemsNone
                pt.PivotCache.Refresh
            Next
        Next
    End Sub