Thread: Remove an entry in the Reference Table?

Remove an entry in the Reference Table?

In the VB6 IDE, under the "Project" drop-down menu is the option "References". I've originally had a user library that no longer exists, but the reference to it still exists under "References". How do I remove unwanted references? There does not appear to be an option for that, even though there is some mention about it in the help section, but no specifics.

Thanks, Mickey

Re: Remove an entry in the Reference Table?

If we're definitely talking about "References..." and not "Components...", you should be able to open your .VBP file for the project with Notepad (not in the IDE).

And then, you'll see a line something like the following:

Code:
    Reference={some uuid}{followed by a version, a path probably to SysWOW64, and then the name of the referenced file}
    You can delete that line, save in Notepad, and then try loading again from the IDE. If the reference is truly no longer used, that should get rid of it. If it's still used, the IDE's intellisense should start complaining about constants and/or methods that it can no longer find. If the IDE complains like this, you'll need to get that sorted.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Uninstalling the library will remove it from references.

If you deleted it manually, you'll have to go spelunking through the registry to clean it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    Uninstalling the library will remove it from references.

If you deleted it manually, you'll have to go spelunking through the registry to clean it up.
    I thought he just wanted it removed from his VB6 project. I didn't understand that he wanted the library removed from his Windows system.

Yes, if you want the library completely removed from your system, if it's a TypeLib, use RegTlib with /u option. If it's a DLL or other type of library, you should use whatever installer installed it, and uninstall it.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

EDIT1: It might be -u rather than /u for the RegTlib utility.
    Last edited by Elroy; Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I thought he just wanted it removed from his VB6 project. I didn't understand that he wanted the library removed from his Windows system.

Yes, if you want the library completely removed from your system, if it's a TypeLib, use RegTlib with /u option. If it's a DLL or other type of library, you should use whatever installer installed it, and uninstall it.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

EDIT1: It might be -u rather than /u for the RegTlib utility.
    Thanks for all the responses.

Indeed, I simply want to remove the link from the "Reference" list; it's not in a project. It is a .DLL that I created, then "Browsed" to and added manually. The original link address no longer exists; so I would like to remove it from the list. It hard to believe that a simple link removal option is not provided. Again, it's a .DLL that I manually added, no installer was involved; is there a way to remove it?

Thanks, Mickey

Ok, I "think" I now understand. It's not that it's actually referenced in some VBP project, correct? Even if not selected, you want it off the list that pops up when you go to references within the VB6 IDE, correct?

Yeah, that's a bit more complicated, especially if you've already manually deleted the DLL.

Okay, I'm assuming this is an ActiveX DLL that you also created with VB6. The easiest way I can think of to get rid of it is to find the source code to the original DLL, re-compile it, and then use regsvr32 to un-register it. You should have regsvr32 somewhere on your execution path. Therefore, to do this, you'd just open a command window (typically CMD), navigate to where the freshly compiled DLL resides, and then type something like: regsvr32 /u MyDll.dll (where MyDll is the name of your dll).

That should get rid of it from the registry as well as from your VB6 IDE's references window.

Also, (but I haven't tried this) you may be able to just create another (blank) ActiveX DLL with the same name, compile it, and then un-register it as outlined.

Just as an FYI, when you compile these ActiveX DLLs with the VB6 IDE, they're automatically registered on the computer on which they were compiled. Therefore, you've got to be a bit careful about just willy-nilly compiling these ActiveX DLLs on your machine without making a habit of un-registering them.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

p.s. to Dex: You were correct about what he wanted.
    Last edited by Elroy; Jun 18th, 2018 at 04:58 PM.

Ok, I "think" I now understand. It's not that it's actually referenced in some VBP project, correct? Even if not selected, you want it off the list that pops up when you go to references within the VB6 IDE, correct?

Yeah, that's a bit more complicated, especially if you've already manually deleted the DLL.

Okay, I'm assuming this is an ActiveX DLL that you also created with VB6. The easiest way I can think of to get rid of it is to find the source code to the original DLL, re-compile it, and then use regsvr32 to un-register it. You should have regsvr32 somewhere on your execution path. Therefore, to do this, you'd just open a command window (typically CMD), navigate to where the freshly compiled DLL resides, and then type something like: regsvr32 /u MyDll.dll (where MyDll is the name of your dll).

That should get rid of it from the registry as well as from your VB6 IDE's references window.

Also, (but I haven't tried this) you may be able to just create another (blank) ActiveX DLL with the same name, compile it, and then un-register it as outlined.

Just as an FYI, when you compile these ActiveX DLLs with the VB6 IDE, they're automatically registered on the computer on which they were compiled. Therefore, you've got to be a bit careful about just willy-nilly compiling these ActiveX DLLs on your machine without making a habit of un-registering them.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

p.s. to Dex: You were correct about what he wanted.
    Thanks again, but here's the problem with that.

The .dll still exists all I did is rename a directory in it's path; I had forgotten that I had already added the link to the Reference List and did it again with the new link. Now I have two links by the same name; one with the correct path that's checked-off for the project, and one with the bogus path that's unchecked. I'm just trying to get rid of the bogus one. If I had remembered that I already added it, I could have simply re-browsed and corrected the path - unfortunately I didn't.

Thanks, Mickey

Well, as Dex stated, you can start spelunking your registry and just delete all references to it.

However, if it were me, I'd try somehow creating that original path (possibly copying your new path), and then un-registering the one you don't want with RegSvr32.

But if the DLL's name is unusual, spelunking (i.e., searching) your registry shouldn't be that huge a deal. Just delete all references to it, and then re-compile the good one so it's re-registered.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

p.s., I probably should state the usual caveat though. Editing your registry is risky if you start randomly deleting stuff.

Well, as Dex stated, you can start spelunking your registry and just delete all references to it.

However, if it were me, I'd try somehow creating that original path (possibly copying your new path), and then un-registering the one you don't want with RegSvr32.

But if the DLL's name is unusual, spelunking (i.e., searching) your registry shouldn't be that huge a deal. Just delete all references to it, and then re-compile the good one so it's re-registered.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

p.s., I probably should state the usual caveat though. Editing your registry is risky if you start randomly deleting stuff.
    Both good suggestions, I thank you both. It's just amazing to my that VB6 provides a way to add to the list; without the reciprocal.
    Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyXm View Post
    Both good suggestions, I thank you both. It's just amazing to my that VB6 provides a way to add to the list; without the reciprocal.
    Mickey
    UPDATE: It's gone; searched the Registry, found both entries, deleted the bogus path reference. I then went to the VB6 IDE and confirmed it was gone.
    I'm a happy-camper now; thanks for everyone's help.

Mickey