Thread: [RESOLVED] vb6 project in the cloud? how?

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] vb6 project in the cloud? how?

Does anyone here have experience running the vb6 project in the cloud? And I mean a project that has already been compiled, running with my own file formats for data storage as well as mssql, mysql databases. What do I need to run such a program, what do I need to configure? I am asking for help, links to tutorials, links that would help to understand the rules and get the knowledge I need.

(pl: Czy ktos tu ma doświadczenie z uruchamianiem projektu vb6 w chmurze? I chodzi mi o projekt juz skompilowany, kozystający z wlasnych formatów plików do zapisu danych jak i baz mssql, mysql. Czego potrzebuję aby uruchomić taki program, co muszę skonfigurować? Proszę o pomoc, odnośniki do tutoriali może, linki które pomogłyby zrozumieć zasady i zdobyć potrzebną wiedzę.)
    Last edited by Krzysztof#; Jun 15th, 2018 at 04:04 AM.

Re: vb6 project in the cloud? how?

What do you mean with your VB6 project in the cloud?

Your data can be stored "in a cloud", being it a network share, database server, webservice.

But where do you want to run your application?
    To my knowledge this can only be done on a local PC or a terminal server variant.

Lively Member

I mean that user not have to download compiled project\program to hard drive to run it. If i understand well what is written here it is possible to use not only data stored online and then transfer it to users pc but also run program itself.
    https://www.ampercent.com/install-an...m-cloud/14928/
    http://www.intowindows.com/run-windo...rom-the-cloud/

It's talking about the portable apps.
    You can also use SxS (see the tutorial and samples on the forum), which in the end also makes it a portable application.

But even then the application is downloaded and executed on the local pc.

PowerPoster

Did you read the explanation under "Add your favorite apps"?
    Did you try to add a VB6 program and see what happens?

Lively Member

I see. thanks. Could you suggest maybe also way to use cloud storage for project? like is mentioned here https://lifehacker.com/5993596/how-t...-with-owncloud Any tutorials would be great. On what restrictions and limits of server i must look at when i want to use not only databases but also other files. Program saves and loads diferent formats of files. Sorryif those questions seems silly but im still learning

Lively Member

Eduardo- , yes i did but have not added anything yet. Wanted to gather most theory possible first. But now when you say, there may be being up-to-date problem with vb6 applications i guess. will check it of curse
    Last edited by Krzysztof#; Jun 15th, 2018 at 06:18 AM.

Krzysztof#,

Yeah, I think we'd need to know a bit more about what you're thinking when you say "in the cloud". A couple of different things come to mind when I read that. 1) Running off of a file server. That's the way my primary app always works. And, if you stay with the basic controls that you initially have, you don't need to do a thing for that to work. If you start getting into other OCX controls, you will need to incorporate the SxS technology, and then it'll still work fine. Here's my tutorial on SxS.

2) Now if you're thinking of having it run off of something like the Amazon or Microsoft cloud, possibly via a web browser, that's something entirely different. First, you'd have to procure permission to execute your program on that cloud server. Secondly, you'd have to work out how to present your forms over the web. It's probably easier to just have people download some program (possibly install it), and then run it locally, even if it still places data back on some cloud SQL server.

If you outline more about what you're thinking, I'm sure there are people here who can get you pointed in the right direction.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Krzysztof# View Post
    Eduardo- , yes i did but have not added anything yet. Wanted to gather most theory possible first. But now when you say, there may be being up-to-date problem with vb6 applications i guess. will check it of curse
    If that (Cameyo) is a system that is intended to work with any application, I don't see why vb6 ones should have any issues.

First try to make it work, then see if you encounter any problem.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Krzysztof#,

Yeah, I think we'd need to know a bit more about what you're thinking when you say "in the cloud".
    As I understand it, he wants to run vb6 programs in (inside) a web page.

Hyperactive Member

Using windows tech
    You can use terminal services. You can give them entire desktops or just your app using RemoteApps. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...welcome-to-rds

Using other tech
    use xvnc4 to create virtual instances of your app running in WINE. Serve it through Apache Guacamole

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    As I understand it, he wants to run vb6 programs in (inside) a web page.
    To me, that sounds like VBScript, and not VB6. However, you could certainly use VB6 (running on a server) to build webpages that were shown to the user.

But again, I'm still not sure I see enough specifications to address what he wants.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

I have recently been told that you can subscribe to Amazon, and have a "Cloud based Computer" available to you.
    (Essentially you are allocated Disk Space in the Cloud with a Virtual Computer available to you - You pick the variant you want eg, Windows Server 2003, Windows 7, Windows 10, etc)
    You are then able to install what ever you like in this cloud based computer, including VB6 applications
    You then run them as though you are running them across your own network (but its in the Cloud), using Microsoft Remote Desktop

I've not tried this yet, but it sounds worth investigating

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    I have recently been told that you can subscribe to Amazon, and have a "Cloud based Computer" available to you.
    You don't need "the cloud" to do this. The "cloud" is just a fancy way of saying "renting hardware". Enable remote desktop, forward a port on the router and you can access the computer from anywhere in the world.

PowerPoster

"In the cloud" usually also means hardward redundancy. But I don't know if that could be true with a "rented computer in the cloud".

Check this tutorial on Cameyo.
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/crea...on-in-windows/

I think turbo.net is also very powerful.
    https://turbo.net/
    Last edited by IndicSoftware; Jul 19th, 2018 at 12:14 AM.
    --
    From,
    Indic Software

Revolutionary Visual Programming IDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    "In the cloud" usually also means hardward redundancy. But I don't know if that could be true with a "rented computer in the cloud".
    If you are using AWS, Azure or similar that the virtual computer offerings will include some form of resilience / data protection, exactly what you get depends on what you need and how much you are willing to pay.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    If you are using AWS, Azure or similar that the virtual computer offerings will include some form of resilience / data protection, exactly what you get depends on what you need and how much you are willing to pay.
    Ok, thanks for the info.

Krzysztof#, you may want to search for the clouds+software that supports WEB-Dav technology,
    such as Yandex.Disk or Google.Drive desktop client, that creates virtual folder. I dunno, is it provide read-only access or any permission setting at all.

There is also FTP-to-Hard drive driver that maps FTP storage to local disc. It's called FTPUse.
    Code:
    Proc.ProcessRun FTPUseInst, "/VERYSILENT /NOCANCEL /NORESTART /CLOSEAPPLICATIONS"
    FTPUse_main = Environ("SystemDrive") & "\Program Files\FERRO Software\FtpUse\FtpUse.exe"
    Proc.ProcessRun FTPUse_main, "z: xxx.ftp.ukraine.com.ua/" & FTP_Folder & " a4sx836B /user:dragokas_read" '/nopasive
    However, It is not very stable when connection breakages, and AFAIK not support FTPS.

Anyway, PlausiblyDamp's suggestion is much more better.
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works