Thread: Access Database file Read only

Access Database file Read only

Hi,
    Hopefully I am in the right forum, I am using VS 17 and have packaged a project which uses an Access database file, the only part of my packaged program that is not working when I install it is the database part, I have narrowed the problem to the database file getting installed as read only, how do I make sure that the database file can be altered? Do I have to do it via code in the Project or is it a simple case of altering one of the properties?

Re: Access Database file Read only

This is probably more of a deployment question so I've notified the mods and they may choose to move the thread.

How EXACTLY are you deploying the application? Are you using ClickOnce? The Setup project extension? Something else?

Hi,
    I am using VS Installer Projects extension

At this point, this does sound like a deployment question, so I moved the thread in hopes that this forum will provide more on-point answers. I can say that I have not had this issue with the one time I deployed an Access DB with a project, but considering the sample size, I don't think my experience means a thing.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

What folder location are you installing the database file to?

Hi,
    I have narrowed it down to the folder that the program is installed to which is Programs Files (x86) and now understand why it is a read only folder, The problem now is I am trying to get Visual Studio Installer Projects (Extension) to install the Access database file into a non read only folder so it can be added to or updated, any help would be appreciated

See the link below for posts (#3) about where you should be storing the database file:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...path-is-denied

I have added a folder to the setup which installs the Database file in a folder in My Documents and still have a problem, If I install the full package in My Documents it works fine but if I install the data file by itself in My documents (which is not read only) and install the rest of the program in Program Files (X86) it will not work, do I have to alter any of the Database File properties in order for the program to communicate with it ?

You need to make sure your program is looking for the database in the folder you create in (My) Documents. It is probably currently set to use the same location where the program is installed (default). Also, you should probably not be hard-coding the database folder location, since Microsoft may again change path names. Think about storing the database path location somewhere, like a configuration file or registry entry, that can be changed without re-compiling the program.

gibra