Thread: [RESOLVED] Can no longer compile a "Sub Main" project

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can no longer compile a "Sub Main" project

Wow, sometimes I think I'm losing my mind. I can no longer compile a "Sub Main" type project. I'm on the latest version of Win10-64, 1803 (OS Build 17134.48).

If I just leave it as a Form1 project, it compiles just fine.

And a "Sub Main" type project will execute just fine in the IDE.

Here's about as simple as I could make it:

modTest (saved as Test.bas):
    Code:

Option Explicit

Sub Main()
        '
    End Sub

And Test.vbp:
    Code:
    Type=Exe
    Reference=*\G{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#2.0#0#..\..\..\..\Windows\SysWOW64\stdole2.tlb#OLE Automation
    Module=modTest; Test.bas
    Startup="Sub Main"
    HelpFile=""
    NoControlUpgrade=1
    Title="Test"
    ExeName32="Test.exe"
    Command32=""
    Name="Test"
    HelpContextID="0"
    Description="Test"
    CompatibleMode="0"
    MajorVer=1
    MinorVer=0
    RevisionVer=0
    AutoIncrementVer=0
    ServerSupportFiles=0
    VersionCompanyName="Shriners Hospitals for Children - Houston, TX"
    CompilationType=0
    OptimizationType=0
    FavorPentiumPro(tm)=0
    CodeViewDebugInfo=0
    NoAliasing=0
    BoundsCheck=0
    OverflowCheck=0
    FlPointCheck=0
    FDIVCheck=0
    UnroundedFP=0
    StartMode=0
    Unattended=0
    Retained=0
    ThreadPerObject=0
    MaxNumberOfThreads=1
    When I click File / Make Test.exe, the IDE's bleed bar gets to about half-way, and then the IDE just totally evaporates from the screen and memory. No error message, no nothing!

I've played around with about all the compiler options, and nothing changes anything. I've even removed the OLE Automation reference, and still the same thing.

It does create a Test.obj (for Test.bas) before it crashes, and just leaves it in the folder.

I've also attached this very simple project. Are others with Win10-64, 1803 having this problem?

Elroy

Frenzied Member

Re: Can no longer compile a "Sub Main" project

Is Windows Defender perhaps, jumping in for some reason and terminating the IDE? Unlikely, I know, for such innocuous code but maybe worth eliminating the possibility.

Pretty sure something like this has happened to me in the past, but it was a one-off, never to be repeated...
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...

My VB6 love-children: Vee-Hive and Vee-Launcher

Ok, sorry, but I'm also getting that "Something Went Wrong!" message in the VBForums this morning. I now see that I wound up starting two threads.

A starter project is attached to the second thread, as I can't seem to edit the OP to attach it to this thread.

Regarding Add-Ins, I've just got two, "Resource Editor" and "Trick Advanced Tools". On dear, Trick, it's yours. I unloaded it and everything started working fine.

I guess it's a bug in your Add-In.

Well, thanks for bringing the Add-Ins to my attention. At least I know what it is.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

@ColinE66: Yeah, sometimes things start working funky in the VB6 IDE. One of the first things I do is reboot. And I had done that but neglected to mention it in the OP.

But I think we've found it. I'll let The Trick take a look at his Add-In and see if he can track it down. That Add-In isn't something I really need right now.

All The Best,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Ok, sorry, but I'm also getting that "Something Went Wrong!" message in the VBForums this morning.
    Unfortunately for me it is a constant problem, when I attach a link, a image, ...

Regarding your problem, I can fill in without problems.
    But my IDE is 'clean', no add-in.
    Windows 10 1803 17134.48

@The Trick: Hey, no problem. I'm extremely grateful and impressed by all the work you do and your incredible knowledge of the low level guts of VB6. Having those options in the IDE isn't something I need right now. I've just turned off your Add-In for now, and I'll happily await an update before testing it again. Absolutely no hurry.

@Gibra: Yeah, I don't see the "Something Went Wrong!" message too often. With this thread, it seemed to be something about posting the code in the VBP. I've noticed that there seem to be certain word combinations that VBForums doesn't like. (I suspect it's something about their profanity checker that goes wrong.) On shorter posts, I've learned to spot them, and that you can sprinkle something like [b][/b] (with nothing between them) around in the problem words, and it'll fix the problem. However, the code for my VBP was too long to mess with that. I had posted the other thread without the VBP, but didn't realize that somehow this thread went through anyway. I see the moderators deleted my second thread (as requested by me).

I think I'll mark this thread as "resolved", as it really is. I've identified the problem, and how to fix it.

Best Wishes to All,
    Elroy