Thread: Viewing Token Privileges

Viewing Token Privileges

Privileges can be required to access system resources, and it can be a nuisance when an API call fails because a privilege is not available. This application displays the privileges available to the process token for the current logged on User.
    If run as administrator, it will show the elevated privileges. In general, if a privilege is required for an API function, the application should be running with elevated credentials as a standard user has very few privileges. The application may also need to enable the privilege, before the API function is called.

For example there are a number of API functions to create a process, and only some of these require privileges:

• CreateProcessWithTokenW
      must have the SE_IMPERSONATE_NAME privilege.
    • CreateProcessAsUser
      must have the SE_INCREASE_QUOTA_NAME privilege and may require the SE_ASSIGNPRIMARYTOKEN_NAME privilege if the token is not assignable
    • CreateProcessWithLogonW
      requires no special privileges as the new process runs in the security context of the Logon User
    • CreateProcess
      requires no special privileges as the new process runs in the security context of the calling process

The following screen image illustrates the privileges available for an elevated user.
    Name:  Token Privileges.png
Views: 1961
Size:  115.5 KB

From this example, the elevated user can call the CreateProcessWithTokenW, but before calling the CreateProcessAsUser, the application must first enable the SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege. But this API would still return unsuccessful if the token is not assignable, because this elevated user does not have the SeAssignedPrimaryTokenPrivilege.

This application also has code to enable and disable a privilege.

The attached project also includes more detailed information on this application.
    TokenPrivilege.zip

Hyperactive Member

Re: Viewing Token Privileges

OMG, thanks so much!!

PowerPoster

If you want to escalate to SYSTEM/TrustedInstaller/LSASS to obtain most of those privileges,

[VB6] Run process as TrustedInstalled (NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM) w/ full system privileges

Hyperactive Member

I am just trying to terminate a SYSTEM process.
    The task manager can end it without admin privileges, I think.

For some reason, I just manage to do it, and I am also not sure if that is because I need full system privileges.

I have documented my trouble here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...rror-code-1300

Just in case you are interested...

PowerPoster

If you check in a tool like ProcessHacker, you see that TaskManager runs elevated.

Edit:
    This looks like something that Microsoft might have *just* broken.

I just noticed one of my VB6 apps, which enabled a privilege my user holds that can be enabled without elevation, is now being blocked from doing so. It looks like a Windows update may have made it impossible for VB6 apps to obtain any non-default privilege without running elevated.

Don't know if it's just me right now but all I can suggest is try running elevated, since I can no longer actually test what unelevated VB6 apps can do.
    Last edited by fafalone; Jun 4th, 2022 at 01:21 AM.