dcsimg

Thread: newbie here

newbie here

hi to all, I wanted to learn how to code, and it seems that vb is the best one to start with. I already red different basics and introduction and now reading this http://dpue.energ.pub.ro/files/carte...-basic-6-0.pdf

and now i have some questions and wishing that someone could help me and guide me on this.

thank you and thank you for the response.

first is there any thread here for the newbies and beginners in vb?

2nd is there someone who can give me links or a site for beginners

3rd i have this problem and i dont know if i do it right

Using one or more GoTo statements, write a program that displays on the screen the list of even numbers from 2 to 20 as well as the sum of these numbers. Also print the partial sum at each stage of the computation. A er displaying 20, the program should print the message “Task complete.”
    Hint: Use a variable called num and initialize it to 2. Also initialize a variable total to zero to use to accumulate the sum of these numbers. Also, somewhere in your program include the following line of code:
    num = num + 2
    so that the program can test the current value of num to determine whether the termination
    condition is satisfied.

Code:
    Cls

total = 0
    num = 2

L1: Print "+ ="; num
    num = num + 2
    num1 = 2
    total = num1 + total
    Print total
    If total <= 18 Then
       num = num + 2
       GoTo L1
    End If
    Print "end task"

L2: total = total + 2
    If total <= 108 Then
       GoTo L2
    End If
    Print total

thank you for the reply
    Last edited by virtual adept; Jun 15th, 2018 at 10:16 AM.

Addicted Member

Re: newbie here

first is there any thread here for the newbies and beginners in vb?
    I'm sure there are plenty. You just need to decide what is your issue
    and use the search box to search for it.

2nd is there someone who can give me links or a site for beginners
    I can't, maybe others can. Classic VB has been deprecated so
    a lot of sites are no longer available. That said, do a internet
    search for VB6 and I'm sure you may find a few. Now as I recall
    there is one called freevbtutes.

3rd i have this problem and i dont know if i do it right
    First, may I suggest you surround your code using the
    code (#) option in the thread / reply options. You can
    edit your post now if you wish.

Your post appears to be homework unless it came out of your post
    which I and other most likely do not have time to search for.
    If out of the PDF file, please provide page number.

I would suggest you review the VB6 language a little more
    especially the use of "Goto". Hint, look at "Do / Loop" - or- "For / Next" constructs.

Then re-post with specific questions as to the problem(s)
    Last edited by vb6forever; Jun 12th, 2018 at 03:53 PM.

PowerPoster

It is pretty hard to obtain a legal copy of VB6 these days. Are you sure you aren't playing with one of the numerous versions of VB.Net instead?

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by vb6forever View Post
    Your post appears to be homework unless it came out of your post
    which I and other most likely do not have time to search for.
    If out of the PDF file, please provide page number.
    A quick search of the string, "Using one or more GoTo", in the pdf file shows that the "On Your Own" assignment is on page 108 of the pdf.

That section (Chapter 6) is teaching the use of the GoTo statement and goes through a number of exercises using GoTo. Chapter 7 moves on to For .. Next Loops, with a number of exercises including nested loops, and use of the Step option.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    It is pretty hard to obtain a legal copy of VB6 these days. Are you sure you aren't playing with one of the numerous versions of VB.Net instead?
    Hi dilettante,

I've got no idea what virtual adept is playing with, but I'm just wondering why you'd say it's hard to get.

It seems that...
    here is a copy
    or here
    or here
    or here
    or here
    or here

Personally, it's exciting for me to see someone new interested in VB6. Like I've said elsewhere (and you've also strongly suggested), it's an excellent language.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Well, if "I" were to start with VB6 for the very first time, I'd get as many GOOD books as I could...text books would be nice. However, there is one ON-LINE book I find can be of real value to a brand-new person electing to learn VB6. It is called VB's Black Book. And don't forget to make BIG use of MSDN's help. And, whatever book(s) you obtain, start in the beginning and work ALL THE WAY through it/them. There will be some sections that are just too hard to understand for most, but best not to skip any of them (in most books, that is). Good Will Hunting...I mean, Good Luck programming.

Sammi

thank you sirs/mam for all your replies and suggestions and im using this...
    Attachment 159671
    Attachment 159673

im only doing self study reading different books and pdf files..im also doing exercises and on your own problems from those materials yet i dont know if im doing in right.. and that is what i want to ask on my 3rd question i dont know if im on the right path ..
    thank you very much to all ^_^
    Last edited by virtual adept; Jun 13th, 2018 at 09:21 AM.

PowerPoster

Hit F1 in the IDE, it should bring up the installed MSDN for VS6, or the recommended MSDN October 2001.

Then Scroll down to Books.
    It includes "Advanced VB5" and "Hardcore Visual Basic"

I'd say that you seem to be on the right track. Posting questions here will generally get you lots of answers. In fact, the simpler the question, the more answers you get. People like easy questions, even if they also like hard questions. Start one thread for each question and you'll get lots of answers.

One other point that was mentioned before, when you post a question that includes code, press the # button. This will give you a pair of [CODE][/CODE] tags. Put the code between the tags and the code will be formatted....better. Some people prefer the VB button to the # button, but that seems to be just a matter of preference, these days.

I'm a bit curious how you got VB6, though. Elroy noted that you can buy it on eBay for a fair amount of money. You can also get it through an MSDN subscription for a MUCH larger amount of money, but there's a third way, cause some folks just have it lying around. I've got a few copies, my father may have a copy (probably not anymore), so they just float around. I was wondering where you got one. In general, I'd recommend starting out in .NET, as VS2017 Community Edition is free, but VB6 is a fine language. The syntax between the two is pretty similar at the point you are at. As you progress, the two languages diverge quite a bit.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm in two minds about the idea of a new programmer starting with vb6. It's what I'm most proficient at (not saying much) but if I were starting now
    I know I'd choose something else because it's like volunteering for death row. I'd probably choose Lazarus if I wanted something vb6-like.
    I fairly regularly get a little depressed about it, though not as much as i did.
    Otherwise I'd go with b4X which is an amazing suite of tools for a very reasonable cost.

If I were new to programming altogether, there's no doubt that I'd go with C++, with a strong consideration of Java, possibly learning both which wouldn't be that much more than learning one.

However, if I knew I was specifically programming for the Windows platform (with no consideration of other platforms), I think VB6 is a good choice. It's just such a well established language, with every conceivable bug well known and identified; there is an excellent group of people supporting it (here in VBForums); and it's quite easily deployed IMHO.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

thank you everyone for your time and effort and advice...i think i already did it, I've felt that that is not the best answer so i tried it again and by this i think i'm more satisfied..^_^

Code:
    Cls
    total = 0
    num = 2
    L1: Print "even numbers:"; num
    total = num + total
    num = num + 2
    Print "psum = "; pSum
    If num <= 20 Then
       pSum = num + total
       GoTo L1
    End If
    Print "end task"
    Print "sum:"; total

'end your code above this line

End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    However, there is one ON-LINE book I find can be of real value to a brand-new person electing to learn VB6. It is called VB's Black Book.
    Sammi
    thank your sir sammi for the black book i will read it after i finish the one im reading now

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm a bit curious how you got VB6, though. Elroy noted that you can buy it on eBay for a fair amount of money. You can also get it through an MSDN subscription for a MUCH larger amount of money, but there's a third way, cause some folks just have it lying around.
    sir shaggy lets say that i got it on your third option, its just lying around, i forgot where exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by C++Novice View Post
    I'm in two minds about the idea of a new programmer starting with vb6. It's what I'm most proficient at (not saying much) but if I were starting now
    I know I'd choose something else because it's like volunteering for death row. I'd probably choose Lazarus if I wanted something vb6-like.
    I fairly regularly get a little depressed about it, though not as much as i did.
    Otherwise I'd go with b4X which is an amazing suite of tools for a very reasonable cost.
    sir C++ if i feel waisted and cant continue with vb ill try your recommendation...thanks

i have finished reading this https://www.tutorialspoint.com/compu...g_tutorial.pdf
    tutorials for C,Java and phyton but in the end i feel like im stuck and dont know where to go then i remember that VB is the first language that they teach us in school so i think i will start from there...