dcsimg
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member DrUnicode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Natal, Brazil
    Posts
    597

    Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    I am seeing Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5. I thought this was working and even had a demo at http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...t=vbRichClient written in 2013 that rendered Unicode OK. Now, all the demos I have tried have Unicode render issues. They issue occurs with both CC.DrawText and CC.TextOut.
    This occurs on Windows 10 Version 1803 Build 17134.48.
    Also tried with a fresh install of VmWare Desktop, Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.0 and the results were the same.
    Tried Fonts Tahoma and Segoe UI and results were the same.
    The strings come from Resource UnicodeStrings.RES which is used in dozens of demos here without issues using just LoadResString.
    And just as proof, I am calling a Unicode MsgBox with the same strings and MsgBox renders OK.
    I modified the simplest demo I could find ("Hello World") to demonstrate the problem.
    Screenshot and Demo attached.
    Can anyone replicate this issue?

    Name:  Unicode CC.TextOut.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  31.3 KB

    1 Hello World.zip

  2. #2
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,003

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Same problem here. Windows 10 1803 x64.

    Thanks for putting the files inside a folder within a zip, btw. Irks me no end when I have to create a folder of my own!
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...

    My VB6 love-children: Vee-Hive and Vee-Launcher

  3. #3
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,640

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Thanks for the report - and I think I've fixed this now:



    Will upload a new release at the coming weekend (want to compile and ship that also with a new SQLite-version)...

    Reason was, that Win10 now ships with a new set of "Fallback-Fonts" for several Languages (most affected were the older fonts for indian languages as Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, etc.).
    (these older Fonts/FontNames are still available apparently, but one has to download the appropriate language-packs first).

    On systems below Win8, the old FontFallbacks will be used (are still in place) -
    on systems >= Win8, the new FontFallback-Names will be used (as e.g. the new "Nirmala UI" for all indian languages).

    I'm doing the Cairo-FontOutput on a quite low level (using the UniScribe-APIs to split incoming Strings into "Script-Runs" -
    then doing a FontFallback manually on each Sript-Run (of chars which belong together) in case the currently selected Font
    does not support the glyphs of a Script-Run.

    Olaf

  4. #4

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member DrUnicode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Natal, Brazil
    Posts
    597

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Thanks. Looking forward to the fix being published.
    Cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width


×
We have made updates to our Privacy Policy to reflect the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation.