dcsimg
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member DrUnicode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Natal, Brazil
    Posts
    617

    Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    I am seeing Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5. I thought this was working and even had a demo at http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...t=vbRichClient written in 2013 that rendered Unicode OK. Now, all the demos I have tried have Unicode render issues. They issue occurs with both CC.DrawText and CC.TextOut.
    This occurs on Windows 10 Version 1803 Build 17134.48.
    Also tried with a fresh install of VmWare Desktop, Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.0 and the results were the same.
    Tried Fonts Tahoma and Segoe UI and results were the same.
    The strings come from Resource UnicodeStrings.RES which is used in dozens of demos here without issues using just LoadResString.
    And just as proof, I am calling a Unicode MsgBox with the same strings and MsgBox renders OK.
    I modified the simplest demo I could find ("Hello World") to demonstrate the problem.
    Screenshot and Demo attached.
    Can anyone replicate this issue?

    Name:  Unicode CC.TextOut.PNG
Views: 285
Size:  31.3 KB

    1 Hello World.zip

  2. #2
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,029

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Same problem here. Windows 10 1803 x64.

    Thanks for putting the files inside a folder within a zip, btw. Irks me no end when I have to create a folder of my own!
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...

    My VB6 love-children: Vee-Hive and Vee-Launcher

  3. #3
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,737

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Thanks for the report - and I think I've fixed this now:



    Will upload a new release at the coming weekend (want to compile and ship that also with a new SQLite-version)...

    Reason was, that Win10 now ships with a new set of "Fallback-Fonts" for several Languages (most affected were the older fonts for indian languages as Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, etc.).
    (these older Fonts/FontNames are still available apparently, but one has to download the appropriate language-packs first).

    On systems below Win8, the old FontFallbacks will be used (are still in place) -
    on systems >= Win8, the new FontFallback-Names will be used (as e.g. the new "Nirmala UI" for all indian languages).

    I'm doing the Cairo-FontOutput on a quite low level (using the UniScribe-APIs to split incoming Strings into "Script-Runs" -
    then doing a FontFallback manually on each Sript-Run (of chars which belong together) in case the currently selected Font
    does not support the glyphs of a Script-Run.

    Olaf

  4. #4

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member DrUnicode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Natal, Brazil
    Posts
    617

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Thanks. Looking forward to the fix being published.
    Cheers

  5. #5

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member DrUnicode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Natal, Brazil
    Posts
    617

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Just downloaded latest vbRichClient update (5.00.0067 23-Jun-2018 19:51:42) and I can confirm that Unicode rendering is now working perfect for all 22 languages in my resource file.

  6. #6
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,737

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Quote Originally Posted by DrUnicode View Post
    Just downloaded latest vbRichClient update (5.00.0067 23-Jun-2018 19:51:42) and I can confirm that Unicode rendering is now working perfect for all 22 languages in my resource file.
    Thanks for the confirmation - and the test on Win10...

    Olaf

  7. #7

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member DrUnicode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Natal, Brazil
    Posts
    617

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Seeing problem with Khmer rendering. Didn't notice this before because Khmer language was only recently added to our resource file.
    The string is "KHM: សូម​ស្វាគមន៍" but it only renders "KHM: " when using CC.DrawText.
    API MsgBoxW OK here with this string.

    Name:  Khmer Issue.png
Views: 99
Size:  41.7 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #8
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,737

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    So far there were no entries for the Khmer-Unicode-range in the Font-Fallback-Table -
    though this should be fixed now in the (new uploaded) distribution-package.

    Olaf

  9. #9

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member DrUnicode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Natal, Brazil
    Posts
    617

    Re: Unicode render issues with vbRichClient RC5

    Thanks. Khmer(Cambodian) now renders OK on Win10 Version 1803 Build 17134.228.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width