Thread: [RESOLVED] Don't understand these two statements?

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] Don't understand these two statements?

I'm going thru the Javascript tutorial on W3Schools.com and came across something that I really don't quite understand. An understandable explanation was not given in the tutorial. So I was hoping someone could explain this to me.

The scenario is this

var x = new String("John")
    var y = new String("John")

The following statement is false and I don't know why.

(x == y)

I understand the comparison of types and objects using the "===" operator but the above two statements appear to have the same objects even though (x == y) says otherwise.

I'm confused.

Thanks,
    Blake

Re: Don't understand these two statements?

String DOES NOT create a primitive string - String() creates a STRING object - which is a factory of sorts for working with strings.

This would work for equality

new String("a").valueOf() == new String("a").valueOf()

Odd they didn't explain this further. It's hard enough to get around the =, == and === operators in JS, no reason to add this oddity as well to that mix!

Code:
    "A" == "A"
    true
    "A" === "A"
    true
    (new String("A") == new String("A"))
    false
    (new String("A") === new String("A"))
    false
    (new String("A").valueOf() === new String("A").valueOf())
    true

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Check out how a WATCH on a literal string of "AB" is a primitive value.

And note how the WATCH on the "new String("AB")" returns a complex object with many methods attached,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

This is a helpful link

http://clarkfeusier.com/2015/03/19/g...avascript.html

btw - you have officially scared me into looking at where I might use String()

For example - if I have a known numeric value in a variable - let's say: X = 5;

When I do this: strX = String(X);

I am not getting a simple string with the value of "5" - it's returning this complex object.

What I really should always do is this: strX = String(X).valueOf();

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

szlmany,

Thanks for the explanation and illustrations. I guess the important take-away is to use the "valueOf()" method when assigning/retrieving string values.
    Blake