dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 10: replacement for VB_DCOM_MDAC_JET to access DB?

[RESOLVED] Windows 10: replacement for VB_DCOM_MDAC_JET to access DB?

My VB6 application (that goes back 10 years) is not properly installing on Windows 10 for new clients. When it runs, the installation script trips up when it tries to install VB_DCOM_MDAC_JET_AutoSetup.exe. Since the application uses a Microsoft Access database, this forum told me ages ago that I needed to install the above app so the clients could access the DB.

Initially, i presumed it was an Inno Setup problem, but someone on StackOverflow told me the problem was related to the above app, which runs a file called odbcconf.exe. that file never finishes execution (link:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50744429)

upon searchign for odbcconf.exe, I found this:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...ql-server-2017
    which says:
    ODBCCONF.exe will be removed in a future version of Windows Data Access Components. Avoid using this feature, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature. You can use PowerShell commands to manage drivers and data sources.
    So the question becomes: is there an alternative to VB_DCOM_MDAC_JET_AutoSetup.exe in W10?
    Last edited by vbr1; Jun 20th, 2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: resolved

Re: Windows 10: replacement for VB_DCOM_MDAC_JET to access DB?

I don't know anything about that executable you mentioned...but I have used VB6 almost since its inception/delivery and have used it successfully on every OS version of MS since that time. I also have used MS ACCESS as an 'accompanying' database over that same period of time. I recall the necessity of MDAC, but that seems to have disappeared eons ago. In order to properly install VB6 (or Visual Studio 6.0), search this Forum for 'Installing VB6 on Windows 10 (or 7 or 8). Plenty of excellent tutorials on how to do that (to avoid the 'hanging' at a certain point). Also, don't forget to install SP (Service Pack) 6 after successful installation.

I am sure you will get some more advice (including links to the ways to properly install it) by others (DataMiser, Dilettante, Zvoni, LaVolpe, etc, etc)...but if you simply search this forum and follow the instructions, you should have no problems installing VB6 and using MS ACCESS.

His Problem is not installing VB6/VS6, but installing an App created with VB6/VS6 using Inno-Setup.
    Well, my first try would be to use the "native" P&D-Wizard which ships with VS6.

I haven't migrated (and probably never will) to Win10, but shouldn't MDAC and ODBC-Conf be preinstalled nowadays?

EDIT: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...0-MDAC-problem
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    I say you're crazy not to!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For health reasons i try to avoid reading unformatted Code

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Also, don't forget to install SP (Service Pack) 6 after successful installation.
    I presume you mean SP6 for VB? If yes, that has been done.
    The other info about the MDAC, i will try that today and will post an update. Thanks all! BUT if you have other suggestions please add them. This may or may not solve it

PowerPoster

MDAC is not required on any of the later OS versions. I can't remember now for sure when it was last required, Maybe Windows 2000 or maybe it was the versions prior to 2000. I know it is not required for XP and later as it is already installed with the OS.

Are you using ADO or DAO to access your database?

Fanatic Member

I ran into the same problem some time ago when loading an email program that uses the Access database. The standard install file included MDAC, which would not load on Win 10. What I discovered is that Access Jet was already included with Win 10. If the user had already run an application that required Access Jet, there was not a problem with an installation that did not include MDAC. But like other items on Win 10 (such as Bluetooth) it had to be activated first. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I activated it.

J.A. Coutts

Hint: There are 2 versions of ODBC included with Win 10. "odbcad32.exe" in the "%windir%\system32\" directory is the 64 bit version. "odbcad32.exe" in the %windir%\systWow64\" directory is the 32 bit version. When you run the 64 bit version, it does not include any of the 32 bit drivers. When you run the 32 bit version, it should include the Access (*.mdb) drivers as well as numerous others.
    Last edited by couttsj; Jun 11th, 2018 at 10:07 AM.

Re: [RESOLVED] Windows 10: replacement for VB_DCOM_MDAC_JET to access DB?

Fixed! When the MDAC is removed from the inno script, all is well. Installation finishes, works faster. All is well. Thanks very much everyone!

Frenzied Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Windows 10: replacement for VB_DCOM_MDAC_JET to access DB?

Quote Originally Posted by vbr1 View Post
    Fixed! When the MDAC is removed from the inno script, all is well. Installation finishes, works faster. All is well. Thanks very much everyone!
    I remembered I also got this problem before.