Thread: [RESOLVED] Packaging and Deployment Problem

Resolved [RESOLVED] Packaging and Deployment Problem

Hi,
    I have built a Visual Basic Windows Desktop project and am trying to package it into a standalone program, I have visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio Installer Projects 2017, I have followed all instructions I can find on the net regarding SetUp but I still get a first message and then 2 further messages, then everything freezes. First message is headed ( VS 2015 Shell (Isolated))Then - One or more files are required to restore your computer to its previous state could not be found, Restoration will not be possible. Second and third messages are headed ( VS 2015 Shell (Isolated)) Then – The following files may have dependencies that cannot be determined automatically. Please confirm that these files have been added to the project, the file is C:\Windows\System32\wmp.dll . I will be grateful for any help

Re: Packaging and Deployment Problem

Can you take a screen shot of your setup regarding "One or more files are required to restore your computer to its previous state could not be found"

This question has nothing at all to do with VB.NET. This site has an Application Deployment forum and I have asked the mods to move this thread there.

As for the question, I'm afraid that it is a bit too vague. I would suggest that you discard the project you have at the moment, start again with a new one and explain what the actual steps are that you followed. If you did something wrong, how would we know from your description? If you didn't do something wrong then it sounds like something is broken so creating a new project may fix that or you might need to reinstall that extension or perhaps VS itself.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Moved to Application Deployment Forum. You're likely to get better answers here as it's dedicated to the problem you're trying to solve.

Just to be clear, are you using the standard Deployment Project or some other mechanism?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Just to be clear, are you using the standard Deployment Project or some other mechanism?
    Presumably they're talking about this:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...tallerProjects

That's the 2015 version and that page has a link to the 2017 version. The OP says that they have VS 2017 but the error message relates to VS 2015, so I wonder whether they have installed the wrong version.

Hi,
    Thank you for your positive response, I could not find an Application Deployment forum on the site, and I have tried to post images but that part of the forhum doesn’t seem to work. Yes the link above is the installer I am using but I did download the 2017 version but am confused because the error messages relates to 2015, could this be the problem? I have tried it with a simple project of a form with a button on it which brings up a message box and it will not work on this simple project.

I just created a Windows Forms application project in VS 2017 and then added a Setup project to the same solution. I added the primary output from the WinForms project to the Setup project and then built the Setup project. The dialogue that was displayed did indeed refer to the VS 2015 Isolated Shell, so my guess is that the heart of the extension is the same for VS 2015 and 2017 but they are different in how they integrate into VS itself. The build went perfectly smoothly for me.

As I said before, you should explain EXACTLY what steps you took, not just a vague "I created an app and then a setup and it didn't work". If we can repeat the same steps you did then we can see whether they work for us or not. If they do then the issue would appear to be on your system. It may be fixable without a reinstall but sometimes that the quickest way.

Hi,
    Thanks for the response; I presume you want a walk through on the Visual Studio Installer Projects.
    1: I add the Visual Studio Installer Projects setup project to my simple project
    2: Right click on this setup1 project and in context menu select Add
    3: Then click Project Output
    4: Select Primary output and Localized resources
    5: Then OK
    6: Add shortcuts to Users Desktop and Program Menu
    7: I have done nothing in the Application Folder
    8: Next right click on setup1 in Solution Explorer and select Properties
    9: From the pop up select prerequisites button I left everything as it is
    10: Then right click Setup project in Solution Explorer and select Build

Then I get the two messages as above then Windows Installer comes up and everything freezes

That sounds like pretty much what I did and it worked fine for me. As I've said, it sounds like something is broken. Maybe with the extension, maybe with VS or maybe with your system. I'd try reinstalling the extension and, if that doesn't work, reinstalling VS. If that doesn't work then it may be time to contact support, unless you can find someone else who has encountered and solved the same problem. For anyone else, if they can't reproduce the issue then they're unlikely to be able to fix it.

Hi,
    Thank you for your help, I have reinstalled my OS and reinstalled VS also VS Installer Project and now it is working fine.
    Many thanks

What's done is done and maybe it was a Windows issue but I would have tried the least complex first, i.e. extension first and, if that didn't work, VS and .NET and, if that didn't work, Windows. Did you do it that way and find that it still didn't work after reinstalling VS?

Hi,
    Yes you are right, and under normal circumstances I would have taken the least line of resistance first. There was a lot of clutter on my windows 10 and I figured it was time to clean it up so I jumped in at the deep end and reinstall everything, it wasn't so much of a problem for me because I was able to get on with other things while it was reinstalling, it would have been nice to pinpoint the exact problem but at least everything seems to be working better. Thank you for your time and help

Cool. Please use the Thread Tools menu to mark your thread Resolved so everyone can see that you no longer need help without opening the thread.