Thread: Problem with UEFI compatibility...help

Problem with UEFI compatibility...help

Hello everyone, so right now I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit UEFI. My computer freezes for a split second every 2-3 seconds, i've been having this problem for a while now and I have yet to find a solution. But recently I discovered that my (temporary) current graphics card does not support UEFI, so i'm starting to think that that might be the problem that's causing it. So i'm here asking for a temporary solution to this problem until I get a new graphics card. Can this problem be fixed temporarily so I won't get this split second freezes? It's starting to be really frustrating and I don't want to reinstall my entire operating system just to change to Legacy.

GPU:
    Geforce gts 250 1GB

EDIT: Also can this damage any hardware because of the incompatibility?
    Last edited by NoConnection_; Jun 10th, 2018 at 05:24 PM.

Re: Problem with UEFI compatibility...help

I've honestly never heard of UEFI affecting graphics, but it is a really, really old graphics card so it's possible. I assume it's from some old system and you're using it while waiting for a more modern card.

It won't damage the hardware. It sounds like it's not handling the internal interrupts properly which is causing the pausing. The card might not be fully PCIe compliant given it's age. Open Device Manager->Display Adapters and "Resources". Scroll down to the IRQ setting and click on it. If Windows isn't sure your card is PCIe compliant, it should allow you to change the settings (I recommend trying IRQ11 - 0x000000B). If Windows is pretty sure it is PCIe compliant though, it will keep the settings greyed out and unchangable.

Another possibility is the card is damaged, which could come with age. Check over the capacitors on the card and make sure none are leaking or puffed out.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Re: Problem with UEFI compatibility...help

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
    I've honestly never heard of UEFI affecting graphics, but it is a really, really old graphics card so it's possible. I assume it's from some old system and you're using it while waiting for a more modern card.

It won't damage the hardware. It sounds like it's not handling the internal interrupts properly which is causing the pausing. The card might not be fully PCIe compliant given it's age. Open Device Manager->Display Adapters and "Resources". Scroll down to the IRQ setting and click on it. If Windows isn't sure your card is PCIe compliant, it should allow you to change the settings (I recommend trying IRQ11 - 0x000000B). If Windows is pretty sure it is PCIe compliant though, it will keep the settings greyed out and unchangable.

Another possibility is the card is damaged, which could come with age. Check over the capacitors on the card and make sure none are leaking or puffed out.
    It doesn't let me change the settings their grayed out. So is there actually a temporary solution to this?