Thread: set username and password for local database in vb.net

Lively Member

set username and password for local database in vb.net

Hello
    In Solution exploer , i right click on project name , click "Add" and select new Database .
    Now i want to know how can i set username and password for this database in vb.net ?

PowerPoster

Re: set username and password for local database in vb.net

What type of database?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    What type of database?
    Only SQL Server MDF files are supported in that manner. SQL Server CE SDF files used to be supported but SQL Server CE has been deprecated.

As far as I'm aware, SQL Server doesn't support file security, only instance security. That would be a question for the database development forum though, so I've asked the mods to move this thread there.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Only SQL Server MDF files are supported in that manner. SQL Server CE SDF files used to be supported but SQL Server CE has been deprecated.

As far as I'm aware, SQL Server doesn't support file security, only instance security. That would be a question for the database development forum though, so I've asked the mods to move this thread there.
    Thanks

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Moved

What exactly do you mean by " username and password for this database in vb.net ?" do you mean you want to password protect the database file, similar to what you might do with Access? If so JM's correct, that's not how SQL Server works. The closest analogue I can think of would be managing the SA user. Or do you perhaps mean you want to create a user name and password your application will connect under? Or something else?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd