Thread: Mis-using a word

Mis-using a word

Like the quote in "Princess Bride":

YOU KEEP USING THAT WORD, I DO NOT THINK IT MEANS WHAT YOU THINK IT MEANS...

This is not what I called stacked...Maybe the others though:

The highlighted text says "Are stacked on top of one another".
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Jun 7th, 2018 at 07:30 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Sinecure devotee

Re: Mis-using a word

They should have said piled, rather than stacked. It would make the job of stacking much easier though. Stack the papers, sure, give me a box and I'll toss the papers in.

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    They should have said piled, rather than stacked. It would make the job of stacking much easier though. Stack the papers, sure, give me a box and I'll toss the papers in.
    I could see the government calling them stacked, or close enough...
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

King of sapila

Compacted in Greece we will use compacted.
    Also let me stress that it's one of the most useless threads I've read in my life
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

They were stacked....just before the shutter clicked.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

And then there's -> inaugural vs annual

I think most of the world would write-> First Annual walk a thon is this weeknd... (this is the very first time for the event)

But technically it should read First Inaugural walk a thon is this weekend.

Something can't be the first annual until you've had the event one time a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Tha Fuuh? "First Inaugural" ??? really? you want to go with that? "First Inaugural" as opposed to the "Second Inaugural" event? O.o

Isn't inaugural by definition the first event.... "The inaugural walk-a-thon is this weekend"

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Had to look the word Inaugural because you people sometimes use such difficult and unknown words that simple Greeks cannot comprehend.
    So correct me if I am wrong but if you mean that inagural is something like introductory, initiatory then sorry to rain on your parade but inaugural is not really that.
    Inaugural comes from Latin augeo this is to increase, perfect active auxi, and (duh) this of course comes from Greek word auxano (Αυξάνω) that means to increase.
    Now I would consider that to increase from zero is actually ends up in + something in simple math, it is far stretched out but...
    By accepting this I would consider that First Inaugural would actually make sense as you are providing the dimension that the incrementation should actually begin, namely first, so first from nothing(don't null sql me now) would lead to one incrementation. You give an incrementation but you need a point of reference. So it would actually made more sense to say first inaugural from zero. Second Inaugural would also make sense (by accepting that you increase from zero) but I'm talking about whether to use first or not here.
    And with that I go to bed so I can get to the seaside tomorrow!

(As I've said the thread was pointless so I had to spice it up little )

Now it is not pointless, it just has a very small point.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Sap -uh huh...ok...
    This is the definition of inaugural I was using - http://www.dictionary.com/browse/inaugural?s=t

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Tha Fuuh? "First Inaugural" ??? really? you want to go with that? "First Inaugural" as opposed to the "Second Inaugural" event? O.o

Isn't inaugural by definition the first event.... "The inaugural walk-a-thon is this weekend"

-tg
    Good Catch on my boo boo by have the word First in there.. Was getting carried away with the description.

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    And then there's -> inaugural vs annual

I think most of the world would write-> First Annual walk a thon is this weeknd... (this is the very first time for the event)

Something can't be the first annual until you've had the event one time a year ago.
    I guess I don't agree.
    Inaugural happens once at the start of an era.
    "First Annual" refers to the first occurrence an event that is planned to be held yearly.
    If it turns out the event doesn't occur the next year, the previous event has the distinction of being the first annual and last annual occurrence of the event.

You can plan an Annual event. I don't know that it is a requirement that it actually becomes an annual event in order to be qualified. Perhaps if the second event doesn't happen, the "First Annual" title should be revoked at that time, but I don't think it should be withheld until the second event. Otherwise, by the same logic, you couldn't call it the First event, because if you don't have a Second event its technically not the First. It is the only one. Most people make a distinction between being the first child and the only child.

If

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

Now it is not pointless, it just has a very small point.
    First number from minus infinite will do nicely too