dcsimg

Thread: What will be the performance of 2 RAMs of different memory size in LAPTOP

Lively Member

What will be the performance of 2 RAMs of different memory size in LAPTOP

Hi.
    I have hp core i5 3Gen with 4 GB RAM (2GB each).

Now I have started working upon Android Development. My RAM does not fulfill the recommended requirements for Android Studio.

I have 2 slots of RAM in Laptop. If I install 8 GB in 1 slot and 2 GB (which I already have) in another slot so finally I will have 10 GB RAM.

Question:
    If I do something like this, so will it effect the performance of my system? Effecting the performance means that I have heard that if 2 slots have different sizes of memory so it can be problematic. You must have 4GB and 4GB or 8GB and 8GB both slots of equal size memory.

I've also asked from a friend who has hardware business. He said that he does not believe in it.

Can anybody please guide me that having different sizes of RAMs makes the performance issue or not?

Thanks

Re: What will be the performance of 2 RAMs of different memory size in LAPTOP

10 gb of mixed ram is MUCH better than your current 4 gb.

You need to be certain that the system can take the 8gig stick.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/system...grades-scanner

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    10 gb of mixed ram is MUCH better than your current 4 gb.

You need to be certain that the system can take the 8gig stick.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/system...grades-scanner
    Respected Steve, thank you very much for participating. Its really honor.

Sir, actually I don't have any problem with 10GB, but point which is confusing me is that WILL My Processor be under extra pressure because assigning too much processes to Higher size RAM and assigning lesser portion to Smaller Size RAM will put extra burden upon processor. Is it true that processor will have extra pressure for this management of memory space?

This is the confusion, please guide me for this.

Your processor won't know or care which ram stick is holding the information it needs. It will be happy that there is 10 gb and not 4.

Fanatic Member

It's not much of an issue anymore but there were motherboards that required matched size RAM, but most modern laptop motherboards don't have that issue. For ultimate performance though you should make sure the speed and CAS latency (often referred to as CL) of the new stick matches the original.

First consideration, if the motherboard on your laptop did bank-interleaving (it probably does), then it will no longer with mixed-size RAM. This is a performance thing and one of the reasons you want to use same-size sticks. Bank-interleaving means the system will flip-flop between the two sticks. There are a lot of timings and delays between read/writes and while it's waiting for one stick to charge/discharge, it can be working with the other stick. Needless to say, the performance gains from bank-interleaving can be pretty big.

Second, if the speeds or timings of the RAM are different, then it will fall-back to the SLOWEST stick. This means that you may get more performance with leaving out the extra 2Gb than putting it in if the RAM is rated slower than your shiny new 8Gb stick.

Third issue, make sure that laptop can support an 8Gb stick! The bus you plug RAM into has a voltage/current limit and bigger sticks draw more power simply because they have more transistors they need to keep charged. If you overload your RAM bus, you'll undervolt your RAM which will cause all sorts of blue-screens and frowny faces. I've seen this PLENTY of times with people trying to stuff as much RAM as they got laying around as possible into a system and then wonder why it's so unstable.

"Ideally", you want 2 sticks of matched 4Gb RAM. This will keep bank-interleaving active and clock/timings at their ideal settings.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

the laptop most likely isn't interleaving ram since it only had one chip to start with.