Thread: what is mobile optimized website?

what is mobile optimized website?

what is the mobile-optimized website?

Re: what is mobile optimized website?

One that looks good on your phone and horrible on your computer.

This is an old design model. Now it is more correct to do "mobile first" where the site looks good on a mobile device, then you add features for web pages displayed on pc. this can be seen in action on many sites login screens because it is best practice to have user name and login on two different screens.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

As suggested, if a web site is optimised for mobile then it is intended to look good on a phone-sized screen at the expense of large screens. For some time, many web sites would have a 'www.somedomain.com' version for large screens and an 'm.somedomain.com' version for small screens and the latter would be served automatically if the browser notified the web server that it was running on a mobile device.

These days, it's considered best practice to use responsive design on a single site, so the page will modify itself and reflow based on the screen size. It's not a case of serving different pages depending on the screen size but a single page customising itself, via CSS and possibly some JavaScript, to look the best on any screen size. We test our responsive pages just on a PC first and simply change the size of the browser window to see the page change in real time. Only when we're happy with that do we bother testing on a mobile device.

@jm - how do you detect the actual screen size - with the possibility that scroll bars are adding extra dimension?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

@jm - how do you detect the actual screen size - with the possibility that scroll bars are adding extra dimension?
    If your using responsive design you dont necessarily need to detect the screen size as everything should just resize itself as the screen size changes. Flexbox which is part if CSS3 is fantastic when trying to create responsive screen designs.

However there are times when you just want to display something differently in mobile or full site, maybe you have a large image which you want to display on desktop and not mobile for example

@
    Code:
    media screen and (min-width: 0px) and (max-width: 420px) { 

}

@media screen and (min-width: 421px) {

}
    any CSS you put inside the first tag {} will only work on smaller mobile displays and the second tag, larger displays
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

When I say "detect the screen size" I probably wasn't accurately reflecting what was going on. I didn't write the CSS and haven't looked closely at it so I don't know the specifics but the gist is that rules are specified for a style such that it's attributes have different values for different ranges and thus the style takes care of the appearance based on the current screen size. We have no conditional functional code; it's all done with CSS. I just took a peek at the CSS and it is indeed using what NeedSomeAnswers showed.