Thread: [RESOLVED] A query to compare two almost identical tables?

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] A query to compare two almost identical tables?

As long as I've been doing SQL queries, I'm having a "brain fart" on this one...or maybe just getting old. I've been asked this question to solve.

I have 2 tables, each with two columns in them. However, the latter table has 5 additional records. For simplicity, the column names are Col1 and Col2 for each table.

TASK:
    "Write a query that tests if the records that exist in both versions of the tables are different between the two versions. Does your query let you know which field changed? How many records changed?"

I've attached the 2 tables in a spreadsheet.

Thanks,
    Blake

Re: A query to compare two almost identical tables?

That task seems to be rather poorly written. This:
    Write a query that tests if the records that exist in both versions of the tables are different between the two versions.
    if taken literally, suggests that the query should return a single Boolean value. I'm not sure whether the subsequent questions are supposed to provide hints as to how the query should be written or are genuine enquiries as to how your query works. On the face of it, I'd just do something like this:
    sql Code:
    1. SELECT *
    2. FROM Table1 t1 INNER JOIN Table2 t2
    3. ON t1.Id = t2.Id
    4. WHERE t1.Column1 <> t2.Column1
    5. OR t1.Column2 <> t2.Column2
    That would give you a list of all records where there was a difference and you could then visually inspect them to see where the differences were. If the actual requirement was something more specific then a more complex query would be possible but it's not clear exactly what is expected in this case.

King of sapila

Maybe
    Code:
    select t1 from Table1
    EXCEPT
    select t2 from table2
    ?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

If you open the spreadsheet you'll realize the question doesn't make sense at all. There are only two columns, not a key and two columns. Either of the columns could be a key, or neither, it doesn't specify.

So we could assume there is no key (or the whole record is a key) but then "the records that exist in both versions of the tables are different between the two versions." wouldn't make sense because if any part of the record is different then it would qualify as a different record.

Or we could assume that one of the columns (probably Col1) is a key but then "Does your query let you know which field changed?" doesn't make sense because the only column that could change is the non-key field.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

I realize this and told the author. This was a question on a programming test for a job. Sounds like they don't know SQL! LOL
    Blake