Thread: More than One Ajax Call

More than One Ajax Call

Looking at implementing a progressbar for a process but code needs to find the line count of a file over the web (no problem) to set the bars max property but need update polling for the value all while processing the main request.

Question: can I have the main ajax process and two parallel ajax processes at the same time?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

King of sapila

Re: More than One Ajax Call

Hey.
    In general I do not think Ajax aka javascript supports multi processing but there are some examples I have seen some time ago trying to "emulate" that. I haven't tried so I can't tell for sure.
    However you can play with "async" . This will wait for script execution or not wait for script execution, continuing, accordingly.
    But, again by some examples (on stack overflow if memory serves) you won't use the async command...Ahh ok found it https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...s-using-jquery

If something suits you over there....Looks complicated to me. If I wanted to have something update, I would use "async" and check the ajax call periodically with a timer. But this requires testing as async created some "peculiar" issues to me when I trying to create some html data templates.
    I don't think I can be of more help as I haven't trying parallel emulation.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

No ajax doesn't support multiple async calls but looks like they now have Async.js project. However I cant introduce a new dependency to the project so I will try a variation to the one you linked.

Yehuda's post looks most promising to try to implement.

One call to get the streams line count. then another call to invoke the process. A third call to poll the process with a progress counter. Still just two calls are the ones that need to be async as the first to find the progressbars max needs to be done first.

Code:
    var done = 4; // number of total requests
    var sum = 0;

/* Normal loops don't create a new scope */
    $([1,2,3,4,5]).each(function() {
      var number = this;
      $.getJSON("/values/" + number, function(data) {
        sum += data.value;
        done -= 1;
        if(done == 0) $("#mynode").html(sum);
      });
    });
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I make dozens of AJAX calls all at the same time when my page first loads.

They all come back at different times. They are async after all!

When I start a report with an AJAX call - one that is going to take a long time - I have that "thread" fill some APP common memory with progress (page count).

The web page that made that report-AJAX-call then makes more AJAX calls for page-progress.

That sounds like exactly what you want to do...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Yehuda Katz - jQuery hero to us all - actually posted in that link - and that's the code RobDog picked up.

And what a neat trick to run .Each on a silly little ARRAY!

Code:
    var done = 4; // number of total requests
    var sum = 0;

/* Normal loops don't create a new scope */
    $([1,2,3,4,5]).each(function() {
      var number = this;
      $.getJSON("/values/" + number, function(data) {
        sum += data.value;
        done -= 1;
        if(done == 0) $("#mynode").html(sum);
      });
    });

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I make dozens of AJAX calls all at the same time when my page first loads.

They all come back at different times. They are async after all!

When I start a report with an AJAX call - one that is going to take a long time - I have that "thread" fill some APP common memory with progress (page count).

The web page that made that report-AJAX-call then makes more AJAX calls for page-progress.

That sounds like exactly what you want to do...
    Yea I remembered yesterday of doing something similar on GYF to show the upload progress of videos. PG and I had it using APC and making several calls to get the status.

If I cant get Yehuda's code to work for my situation I have another thought. Instead of kicking off the process as a whole I may be able to chunk it out. Send one call for the line count, another for 1-50 records and when that comes back another for 51-100 etc. Thoughts?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Chunking it out seems like a lot of work.

Your initial AJAX call - the long running one - what is capturing that request on the backend? A web method? Are you running standard VB.Net under IIS?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Sorry its MVC 5. The Controller method receives the ajax call and then sends it out to the Model and other classes

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Those words mean nothing to me

Does MVC 5 take away the ability for you to work your own code into the back end?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

No I can do whatever I want. Its the Controller procedure that I point the ajax call to call. After that its the "design" of MVC to process database and data calls to the Model.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

As long as I can get the calls to call a "status" procedure on the Controller and have that procedure provide the current updated values I need it should work.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

This is what I "was" using to poll the Controller for a status but it wasn't being called until after the primary ajax call was complete making this useless

Code:
            (function poll() {
                myTimeout = setTimeout(function () {
                    console.log("poll");
                    $.ajax({
                        url: "/Setting/Status/", success: function (data) {
                            if (prb2 != undefined) {
                                prb2.max = data.max;
                                prbValue = data.value;
                                prb2.value(prbValue);
                                console.log("data.value: " + prb2.value);
                                console.log("data.max: " + prb2.max);
                            }
                            //Setup the next poll recursively
                            if (isUpdating)
                            {
                                poll();
                            }
                            else
                            {
                                clearTimeout(myTimeout)
                            }
                        }, dataType: "json"
                    });
                }, 750);
            })();

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Ok - this CLASS manages APPLICATION wide message "storage" so that I can retain and share BACK END info from one AJAX call to another.

Code:
    Public Class ApplicationMessage
        Private am_httpContext As System.Web.HttpContext
        Private am_sGuid As String
        Private am_appMsgType As String
        Private am_suppressMS As Integer = 0
        Private am_startTime As DateTime = Nothing
        Sub New(appMsgType As String, httpContext As System.Web.HttpContext, sGuid As String, initMessage As String)
            am_httpContext = httpContext
            am_sGuid = sGuid
            am_appMsgType = appMsgType
            am_startTime = Date.Now
            am_suppressMS = 0
            With am_httpContext.Application
                .Lock()
                .Add(am_appMsgType & ":" + am_sGuid, initMessage)
                .UnLock()
                Debug.Print(am_appMsgType & ": " & initMessage & " " & am_startTime.ToString())
            End With
        End Sub
        Public Function SendMessage(amMessage As String, Optional amOverride As Boolean = False) As Boolean
            Dim nowTime As DateTime = DateTime.Now
            Dim msDiff As TimeSpan = nowTime - am_startTime
            If Not amOverride AndAlso am_suppressMS > 0 AndAlso msDiff.TotalMilliseconds < am_suppressMS Then
                Debug.Print(am_appMsgType & ": " & amMessage & " " & Date.Now.ToString() & "** suppressed")
            Else
                With am_httpContext.Application
                    .Lock()
                    .Item(am_appMsgType & ":" + am_sGuid) = amMessage
                    Debug.Print(am_appMsgType & ": " & amMessage & " " & Date.Now.ToString())
                    .UnLock()
                End With
                am_startTime = nowTime
            End If
            Return True
        End Function
        Public Function SetSuppressMS(amSuppress As Integer) As Integer
            am_suppressMS = amSuppress
            Return am_suppressMS
        End Function
    End Class
    And it's used like this:

Code:
        Private _httpContext As System.Web.HttpContext
        Private _sGuid As String
        Private _rptMsg As ApplicationMessage

Sub New(httpContext As System.Web.HttpContext, sGuid As String)
            _TIFFMode = False
            _httpContext = httpContext
            _sGuid = sGuid
            _rptMsg = New ApplicationMessage("acsReport", _httpContext, _sGuid, "Initiated")
        End Sub
    The _sGuid string is important - this is what identifies the "web user" that is hitting the backend so that I can have MULTIPLE users running reports and each one getting messages about page count progress for just themselves. This SUB NEW is in the REPORT creation class.

This code is executed at the start of the report creation process

Code:
    _rptMsg.SendMessage("PrintReport:Started")
    This code as I spit out pages

Code:
    page = document.AddPage
    prtAddPage += 1
    _rptMsg.SendMessage("PrintReport:Pages Completed: " + prtAddPage.ToString())
    _rptMsg.SetSuppressMS(1000)
    And this code when the report is done:

Code:
    _rptMsg.SendMessage("PrintReport:Report Completed", True)
    All the while that this report AJAX call is running I am making new AJAX calls to get this information.

The backend code looks like this:

Code:
                If ctrloption = "acscheck" Then
                    Dim strMessageText As String = ""
                    With Application
                        .Lock()
                        strMessageText = .Item("acsReport:" + sguid).ToString()
                        Debug.WriteLine(strMessageText & " " & Date.Now.ToString())
                        .UnLock()
                    End With
                    .NewObject("acscheck", True)
                    .Seperate()
                    .NewObject("messagetext", strMessageText)
                    .Seperate()
                    strMessage = "acsCheck Done"
                End If
    And that piece of code is reach through AJAX calls that look like this in JavaScript. Note that this is where the INITIAL call to run the REPORT is also contained. I wait 1000 MS before making the initial "check" progress call.

Code:
            function printStart(rptSproc, ctrlval1, ctrlval2, ctrlval3, strCT, source) {
                ctrlWebService(rptSproc, ctrlval1, ctrlval2, ctrlval3, strCT, source);
                g_printCycle = 1000;
                setTimeout(function () {
                    ctrlWebService("acscheck", "", "", "", strCT, []);
                }, g_printCycle);
            }
    And when this first ACSCHECK returns it sets up a cascade of additional calls until the report is done

Code:
    if (objReturn.acscheck) {
                        strData = objReturn.messagetext;
                        if (strData.substr(0, 12) == "PrintReport:") {
                            strData = strData.substr(12);
                        }
                        wesAWC = $(".acs-print-menu");
                        wesAWC.find('.acs-print-title').html('<br /><br />' + strData);
                        wesAWC.find('.acs-print-list').html('');
                        if (g_printOn) {
                            if (g_printCycle < 3000) {
                                g_printCycle += 500;
                            }
                            setTimeout(function () {
                                ctrlWebService("acscheck", "", "", "", "", []);
                            }, g_printCycle);
                        } else {
                            printMenuClear(sender);
                        }
    Last edited by szlamany; May 23rd, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

So with the setTimeout call you are executing a webservice call and not an actual ajax call or it doesn't make a difference?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

That JS function - ctrlWebService - is my function that does the AJAX call ehe web service. It is in a SETTIMEOUT so I can have it run AFTER the function that is starting the report.

Code:
            function ctrlWebService(strOpt, strVal1, strVal2, strVal3, strId, source, extra) {
                var newId = "";
                var objWebParam = {};
                var wesId = [];
                objWebParam.username = window.username || "";
                objWebParam.ctrloption = strOpt;
                objWebParam.ctrlval1 = strVal1;
                objWebParam.ctrlval2 = strVal2;
                objWebParam.ctrlval3 = strVal3;
                objWebParam.ctrlextra = extra || {};
                objWebParam.sguid = window.bootguid || "";
                objWebParam.source = source || [];
                var strWebParam = $.toJSON(objWebParam);
                $.ajax({
                    type: "POST",
                    url: "WebService.asmx/CtrlService",
                    dataType: "json",
                    data: strWebParam,
                    contentType: "application/json; charset=utf-8",
                    success: function(msg) {
                        ajaxCtrlFinished(msg, strId, "success", objWebParam);
                    },
                    failure: function(msg) {
                        ajaxCtrlFinished(msg, strId, "failure", objWebParam);
                    },
                    error: function(msg) {
                        ajaxCtrlFinished(msg, strId, "error", objWebParam);
                    }
                });
            }
    and in the webservice.vb file I have this method

Code:
        <WebMethod()> _
        <ScriptMethod(ResponseFormat:=ResponseFormat.Json, UseHttpGet:=False)> _
        Public Function CtrlService(ByVal ctrloption As String, ByVal ctrlval1 As String _
                                            , ByVal ctrlval2 As String _
                                            , ByVal ctrlval3 As String _
                                            , ByVal ctrlextra As Dictionary(Of String, String) _
                                            , ByVal username As String _
                                            , ByVal sguid As String _
                                            , ByVal source As IList(Of Dictionary(Of String, String))) As String
    It's a GENERIC web method - I have specific ones for ADD, DELETE and all the other CRUD stuff I might do. This web method is a catch all - the CTRLOPTION string tells it what to process...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hmm just realized I need the two ajax calls but the second one needs to be recursive. I don't think the poll function call will run more than once?
    The Status function call will have the recursive call every 3/4 second. Doesn't look like that will happen in parallel correct?

Code:
            var done = 2; //number of total requests (methods?)
            var sum = 0;
            $(["Update", "Status"]).each(function () {
                var method = this;
                $.getJSON("/Setting/" + method, function (data) {
                    sum += data.value;
                    done -= 1;
                    if (done == 0) $("#mynode").html(sum);
                });
            });

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Hmm just realized I need the two ajax calls but the second one needs to be recursive. I don't think the poll function call will run more than once?
    The Status function call will have the recursive call every 3/4 second. Doesn't look like that will happen in parallel correct?
    Exactly what my code does - I copied the last two code snippets from the bigger post above

This JS function starts the report - it does TWO AJAX posts - one immediately and one setup in a 1000MS timer...

Code:
            function printStart(rptSproc, ctrlval1, ctrlval2, ctrlval3, strCT, source) {
                ctrlWebService(rptSproc, ctrlval1, ctrlval2, ctrlval3, strCT, source);
                g_printCycle = 1000;
                setTimeout(function () {
                    ctrlWebService("acscheck", "", "", "", strCT, []);
                }, g_printCycle);
            }
    The first AJAX call above might take many seconds to complete. The second call runs instantly and it's call back function in JS prints the returned message (number of pages completed) and does another SET TIMEOUT to run the same AJAX POST again. That cycle continues until the report is completed - see below.

Code:
    if (objReturn.acscheck) {
                        strData = objReturn.messagetext;
                        if (strData.substr(0, 12) == "PrintReport:") {
                            strData = strData.substr(12);
                        }
                        wesAWC = $(".acs-print-menu");
                        wesAWC.find('.acs-print-title').html('<br /><br />' + strData);
                        wesAWC.find('.acs-print-list').html('');
                        if (g_printOn) {
                            if (g_printCycle < 3000) {
                                g_printCycle += 500;
                            }
                            setTimeout(function () {
                                ctrlWebService("acscheck", "", "", "", "", []);
                            }, g_printCycle);
                        } else {
                            printMenuClear(sender);
                        }

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008