dcsimg
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Preveza Greece
    Posts
    929

    Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    This editor can replace notepad if we don't use right to left, or special input methods (Except for chinise which works)
    Basic change is the use of CCommonDialogs.cls, from this forum, (an old class which I make an update). Now works with Unicode. We can open file, save file, show font, show color, use printer (we can change printer and change orientation too), without of use of an ocx. Now text Editor read command line (unicode), and can open a file when we drop a ile, as we can do this with almost any executable. Mru now show smaller, compact, paths of recent files, and in unicode too. InputBox change to a form with a unicode textbox (like those in Find and Replace). In basic style (no color), tab stop has same size as in NotePad. I found a cool evaluator here in Vbforums and now we can copy an expression and we can replace it with a stroke ctrl+E.
    Also there are 5 color styles, Bright (black/white), Dark (Yellow, Magenta), two Paper White variations, and a Green Chalkboard. These styles, or the user one (last changed), saved for the next opening.

    This is the readme file


    Version 3.1
    1. Can run in Wine, in Linux, with no support for Virtual Keyboard and CharMap (not included in Wine). Open current folder supported
    2. New feature: F12 show/hide status line
    3. All controls (except editbox) get same font by using system default
    4. When we choose VB6 syntax color font changed to Courier New
    5. Fix Bug on font selection so we can select regular type
    6. Additional code for Unicode Punctuation to take account for word boundaries
    7. Style less color now work beter (inlcuding 6) and can set color in any marked work (by mouse right click).
    8. Find & Replace now close by using visible property, so next time, while we still using the editor, open in the same position, and with same data in textboxes.
    Text Viewer

    Version 3
    1. Save styles for Text View, 5 presets plus one user. set
    2. Four mode for syntax color. No Color, Text Less Color, VB6, Asm x86.
    3. Open UTF8, UTF16LE/BE, ANSI. with CRLF, LF, CR.
    4. Open BOM less files, with automatic identification of file type.
    5. We can set Language ID to open file with specific ANSI characters
    6. We can change type/break line type/BOM use, before saving
    7. We can print using Courier New 10, B/W, monospace
    8. We can print using current satyle, proportional or monocpaced, with or without color
    9. We can select printer and adjust orientation
    10. We can use unlimitad Undo/Redo
    11. We can lock Drag operation, for new users
    12. Find and Replace which stay open for more operations
    13. Line space Normal, Half, None (used for view and print)
    14. Count Words in fraction of second.
    15. Easy move to view with pushing (holding down left mouse button)
    16. Use of mouse wheel to change half pages
    17. Export to clipboard text as Html with color
    18 We can use indentation, spaces for VB colored code, and simple tabs for other color modes.
    19 AutoNumber in Basic color mode
    20 We can use any font, size, style (except underline/strike through)
    21 Sort as text using binary comparison
    22 Sort as text/numbers using text/number comparison (mixed also)
    (we can sort from a character position to the last line)
    23 We can open Virtual Keyboard
    24 We can open CharMap
    25 We can open explorer where we load document
    26 We can evaluate expressions by selection, or using a form to write
    27 We can insert current date/time.
    28 We can set TextViewer to open txt or other text files (Text Viewer can open one file and store it internal).
    29 We can open TextViewer more than one time
    30 We can write Chinese characters. We can't use right to left written languages.
    31. No dependencies except basic Visual Basic 6 files.
    32 No use of ocx or proprietary dll.
    33. User control which Text Viewer based, is an advanced control from M2000 Interpreter. The new here is that it can process tab chars. In each syntax color mode the tab width is different.
    34. It is open source. So you can modified it.
    35. It is a unicode-aware application. It's not a dpi-aware application.
    36. No Japan Input Method working at this time. Not tested with other, except for Chinese, which works.
    37. It is not 100% bug free, so any bug can be processed as the user found them.

    George Karras
    Preveza
    Greece

    Name:  TextEditor3.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  37.1 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by georgekar; May 21st, 2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Nrew Version

  2. #2
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    245

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    good tool,but have no comments,is hard to study.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Texas panhandle
    Posts
    20

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    Thanks for sharing, but:
    Scrollbars? MouseWheel?

  4. #4

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Preveza Greece
    Posts
    929

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    Hidden vertical scrollbar. Mouse wheel works perfect in windows. Horizontal scrollbar not needed. There is automatic scroll as you type, move or place the cursor. Also there is another way to scroll lines by pushing to desired direction, holding down left mouse button. Holding and moving up or down, in success, for more time enable auto scrolling with more speed. Also we can use shift with previous procedure to enable from start auto vertical scrolling. Moving this way, cursor stay to starting position so using arrows or typing chars we return to that starting position. Also we can set 3 bookmarks, to change cursor position. We can insert text between bookmarks without loose bookmarks. Bookmarks work with one key for each, to set, to move to, to clear. When cursor ia at a paragraph and position on paragraph, as we set, pressing again bookmark button we clear it. For these actions we get information in a title inside editbox, which show message until cursor moves by keyboard.
    All of this functionality are not new. This editbox using in my interpreter for some years. I had give here many times previous versions of the control.
    The new version handle tabs and Chinese keyboard input method.
    Please use it and write anything you can see for changes.
    Last edited by georgekar; May 20th, 2018 at 12:28 PM.

  5. #5

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Preveza Greece
    Posts
    929

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    New Version 3.1 (see post #1)

  6. #6
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    245

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by georgekar View Post
    This editor can replace notepad if we don't use right to left, or special input methods (Except for chinise which works)
    Basic change is the use of CCommonDialogs.cls, from this forum, (an old class which I make an update). Now works with Unicode. We can open file, save file, show font, show color, use printer (we can change printer and change orientation too), without of use of an ocx. Now text Editor read command line (unicode), and can open a file when we drop a ile, as we can do this with almost any executable. Mru now show smaller, compact, paths of recent files, and in unicode too. InputBox change to a form with a unicode textbox (like those in Find and Replace). In basic style (no color), tab stop has same size as in NotePad. I found a cool evaluator here in Vbforums and now we can copy an expression and we can replace it with a stroke ctrl+E.
    Also there are 5 color styles, Bright (black/white), Dark (Yellow, Magenta), two Paper White variations, and a Green Chalkboard. These styles, or the user one (last changed), saved for the next opening.

    This is the readme file


    Version 3.1
    1. Can run in Wine, in Linux, with no support for Virtual Keyboard and CharMap (not included in Wine). Open current folder supported
    2. New feature: F12 show/hide status line
    3. All controls (except editbox) get same font by using system default
    4. When we choose VB6 syntax color font changed to Courier New
    5. Fix Bug on font selection so we can select regular type
    6. Additional code for Unicode Punctuation to take account for word boundaries
    7. Style less color now work beter (inlcuding 6) and can set color in any marked work (by mouse right click).
    8. Find & Replace now close by using visible property, so next time, while we still using the editor, open in the same position, and with same data in textboxes.
    Text Viewer

    Version 3
    1. Save styles for Text View, 5 presets plus one user. set
    2. Four mode for syntax color. No Color, Text Less Color, VB6, Asm x86.
    3. Open UTF8, UTF16LE/BE, ANSI. with CRLF, LF, CR.
    4. Open BOM less files, with automatic identification of file type.
    5. We can set Language ID to open file with specific ANSI characters
    6. We can change type/break line type/BOM use, before saving
    7. We can print using Courier New 10, B/W, monospace
    8. We can print using current satyle, proportional or monocpaced, with or without color
    9. We can select printer and adjust orientation
    10. We can use unlimitad Undo/Redo
    11. We can lock Drag operation, for new users
    12. Find and Replace which stay open for more operations
    13. Line space Normal, Half, None (used for view and print)
    14. Count Words in fraction of second.
    15. Easy move to view with pushing (holding down left mouse button)
    16. Use of mouse wheel to change half pages
    17. Export to clipboard text as Html with color
    18 We can use indentation, spaces for VB colored code, and simple tabs for other color modes.
    19 AutoNumber in Basic color mode
    20 We can use any font, size, style (except underline/strike through)
    21 Sort as text using binary comparison
    22 Sort as text/numbers using text/number comparison (mixed also)
    (we can sort from a character position to the last line)
    23 We can open Virtual Keyboard
    24 We can open CharMap
    25 We can open explorer where we load document
    26 We can evaluate expressions by selection, or using a form to write
    27 We can insert current date/time.
    28 We can set TextViewer to open txt or other text files (Text Viewer can open one file and store it internal).
    29 We can open TextViewer more than one time
    30 We can write Chinese characters. We can't use right to left written languages.
    31. No dependencies except basic Visual Basic 6 files.
    32 No use of ocx or proprietary dll.
    33. User control which Text Viewer based, is an advanced control from M2000 Interpreter. The new here is that it can process tab chars. In each syntax color mode the tab width is different.
    34. It is open source. So you can modified it.
    35. It is a unicode-aware application. It's not a dpi-aware application.
    36. No Japan Input Method working at this time. Not tested with other, except for Chinese, which works.
    37. It is not 100% bug free, so any bug can be processed as the user found them.

    George Karras
    Preveza
    Greece

    Name:  TextEditor3.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  37.1 KB
    WM_IME_COMPOSITION
    can't support Chinese input. if fixed must

    hook WM_IME_COMPOSITION message.

  7. #7

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Preveza Greece
    Posts
    929

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    I Just upload a video in youtube, about using Chinese input method.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm34...ature=youtu.be

  8. #8
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    245

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by georgekar View Post
    I Just upload a video in youtube, about using Chinese input method.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm34...ature=youtu.be
    but many people used third ime for Chinese input.example Google, Baidu, or Sogou.and so on.not Microsoft system ime..must hook msg.

  9. #9

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Preveza Greece
    Posts
    929

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    I can't make it for all. Works for "New experience" input method, by microsoft.
    I didn't use subclassing in my user control except for mouse wheel, and only for temporary use. If anyone find a way to get IMe messages, lets speek..(or write here).
    I use another method to get compound string from IME, by reading properties of IME, Maybe I miss something, and a better reading of properties can help. I program this by using trial and error. Is any text there to read about?

  10. #10
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by georgekar View Post
    I can't make it for all. Works for "New experience" input method, by microsoft.
    I didn't use subclassing in my user control except for mouse wheel, and only for temporary use. If anyone find a way to get IMe messages, lets speek..(or write here).
    I use another method to get compound string from IME, by reading properties of IME, Maybe I miss something, and a better reading of properties can help. I program this by using trial and error. Is any text there to read about?
    Not yet read the code. But If you used VB's native ANSI Textbox or Krool's Unicode TextBoxEx, should not have problem for 3rd Keyboard Inputs.

  11. #11

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Preveza Greece
    Posts
    929

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    I am using neither of these. I get a GuiEditBox from M2000 Environment, and make some changes, it is a newer version now. In that environment, we can make at run time any number of forms using any number of controls, from controls GuiXXXX which I have made, a button, a checkbox, a listbox, a textbox, an editbox, a combo list. All of these controls, have 2 or more classes for support, and one of it is the User Control glist, a listbox.

    This is an old thread where User control make a number of controls: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...boxes-version2

    The idea was to have one glist loaded in a form in design time, and at run time we can load any control which uses the same type user control. In M2000 interpreter we can make forms, and use events, from forms and controls, at run time (this interpreter is a vb6 compiled code). Events of user control send to classes, and these classes send another events calling a public sub in form, using one of two "callback" public subs in form.

    So Editbox, here in TextEditor, has three parts, a User Control, a GuiEditBox class which subclass the UC, and a helping class, the Document. When we place text in this edit box, the Document hold paragraphs, and for each paragraph hold breaking lines, and color information for syntax highlight. User Control handle the breaking of lines. GuiEditBox class get events form UC, and draw the text on it, with ways that UC can't serve.

    Color information use indirect codes for color, so we can change styles at a flash speed. Also when we change line breaks in paragraph then color information stay as is, and at drawing time, a fast relocation happen. So we can alter size of editbox, using wrapping, with no work on color part, and minimum work in text part, change dimension in line's array for each paragraph.

    Using three components for one UI control we get more programming control over it. So GuiEditBox can color the code as we type (which means that color code that is not syntactically correct yet, for example when we place a string we open it with character Ascii 34 and place characters but we have to close it at he end, but color must start from the first character 34).

    So for IME, I have to find the right properties to read at some stage, in vb event handlers, and not using subclass in event message's queue. For now I found the way to use standard Microsoft IME, (and new experience one), for Chinese.

  12. #12
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    245

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by georgekar View Post
    I am using neither of these. I get a GuiEditBox from M2000 Environment, and make some changes, it is a newer version now. In that environment, we can make at run time any number of forms using any number of controls, from controls GuiXXXX which I have made, a button, a checkbox, a listbox, a textbox, an editbox, a combo list. All of these controls, have 2 or more classes for support, and one of it is the User Control glist, a listbox.

    This is an old thread where User control make a number of controls: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...boxes-version2

    The idea was to have one glist loaded in a form in design time, and at run time we can load any control which uses the same type user control. In M2000 interpreter we can make forms, and use events, from forms and controls, at run time (this interpreter is a vb6 compiled code). Events of user control send to classes, and these classes send another events calling a public sub in form, using one of two "callback" public subs in form.

    So Editbox, here in TextEditor, has three parts, a User Control, a GuiEditBox class which subclass the UC, and a helping class, the Document. When we place text in this edit box, the Document hold paragraphs, and for each paragraph hold breaking lines, and color information for syntax highlight. User Control handle the breaking of lines. GuiEditBox class get events form UC, and draw the text on it, with ways that UC can't serve.

    Color information use indirect codes for color, so we can change styles at a flash speed. Also when we change line breaks in paragraph then color information stay as is, and at drawing time, a fast relocation happen. So we can alter size of editbox, using wrapping, with no work on color part, and minimum work in text part, change dimension in line's array for each paragraph.

    Using three components for one UI control we get more programming control over it. So GuiEditBox can color the code as we type (which means that color code that is not syntactically correct yet, for example when we place a string we open it with character Ascii 34 and place characters but we have to close it at he end, but color must start from the first character 34).

    So for IME, I have to find the right properties to read at some stage, in vb event handlers, and not using subclass in event message's queue. For now I found the way to use standard Microsoft IME, (and new experience one), for Chinese.
    Thank you for your programming ideas, because your code has no comments, and the variable definition is arbitrary, and uses a lot of timer controls, debugging code is very laborious for me. But thank you for your open source

    I know you used custom control, but I found that you use this control, the mouse response is too slow, metaphor that select the word with the mouse.
    Last edited by xxdoc123; May 23rd, 2018 at 09:42 PM.

  13. #13

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Preveza Greece
    Posts
    929

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    @xxdoc123
    The last version has an option to lock drag, but drop works. Drag is different from standard because can be done with one click without use of shift or control keys. We can use these keys but work without and is the same as we hold shift pressed
    there are timers for some tasks, such as the auto scrolling, and for refreshing the lines of glist. Also notice there is an animation of horizontal scrolling. Insert a big line with no word wrap (change with F1),, and then press Home (start of line) and then End (end of line),, and you see the animation. The same happen when we resize form. Edit Box show cursor always except on pushing up or down holding left mouse button down.
    When we type or choose a line, that line change place to middle position in control, if there are enough lines. So as we type code or whatever, we look always at the same level in screen, and we read text above and down from current line . When we change page, using page up/down or mouse wheel, we get half page steps.

    I didn't .find mouse response slow., at selecting word, so I courius about it. What OS you use, and what are the specs of your pc,

  14. #14
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    245

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    my pc has been for 9 years, Microsoft scored 3.9. Only win7 32-bit sp1 Chinese。

  15. #15

    Thread Starter
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Preveza Greece
    Posts
    929

    Re: Text Editor 3 for NotePad replacement

    For word selection I had on Chinese ideograms one ideograms selection. Also word selection depends on mode textonly...asm x86.

    I am working now for split editor, where the same text can be viewed and edit in two views, like those in VB Editor.
    Last edited by georgekar; May 24th, 2018 at 04:03 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width


×
We have made updates to our Privacy Policy to reflect the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation.