Thread: IDE - how to run specific project in vbg group?

IDE - how to run specific project in vbg group?

IDE - how to run temporarly specific project in vbg group
    without swithcing StartupProject by IDE gui or vbg-file editing?

Re: IDE - how to run specific project in vbg group?

Fire up its VBP and run it. In other words, load the VBP rather than the VBG. I do it all the time.

In my primary project, I have a handful of ActiveX DLLs that it uses. All the DLLs are also written in VB6. I can load them all up as a VBG and run everything that way. However, typically, there's no need to do that. Rather, I'm typically just working on the main part of the program (the one that compiles to an EXE). Therefore, in most situations, I just load up my main program's VBP file and work on it that way. All the DLLs are registered (actually they're not, and I explicitly load them. But, for most people, the act of compiling these DLLs will register them), so my main VBP program will execute within the IDE just fine.

I hope that helps,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; May 18th, 2018 at 07:34 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

I think you can right-click the project in the explorer and select "Run..." or "Run project..." or something... it's been a while... but I seem to remember there being a context menu somewhere that allows you to run a project in a group.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hmmm Tech, I just quickly thew two standard EXE projects into a VBG, and I don't see a way to selectively run one or the other. In fact, if they're both standard EXE projects, I couldn't find a way to run the non-primary one. If they're DLLs (or ActiveX EXEs, which I don't really use), they'll just compile and execute when needed by the primary EXE.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Elroy, techgnome, thank you for answers.

Sorry for the ambiguity resulted by I did not explicitly state the conditions of the problem. However, I was sure, that it is clear out of the question text, that the vbg, opened in IDE, will be discussed :)

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I think you can right-click the project in the explorer and select "Run..." or "Run project..." or something... it's been a while... but I seem to remember there being a context menu somewhere that allows you to run a project in a group.

-tg
    Think it's "Set as Startup" or some phrase like that
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Yeah you can simply right click on the project and choose set as startup from the popup menu there then run as usual. If you want to change back afterwards then simply right click on the other project and do the same thing.

Hi asbo,

I'm pretty sure that we all understood that you'd be opening the VBG in the VB6 IDE. Basically, you have two choices, and you've been given them both. Either have a willingness to change the Start Up project, or you have a willingness to directly open the VBP (rather than the VBG) and run it from there. Either approach will work.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

Elroy, hi.
    Hi all.

Both of methods, applied to projects group:
    - Reassign StartUp property from one project to another, or
    - Edit *.vbg
    are well known and are quite obvious, as to run projects from their own IDE instances too.

But, all it are a little inconvenient :)

So, the answer, accounting not to topic short title only, but its explanation in the leading post too, will the following:

No other ways are.

Yeah?

PowerPoster

But, all it are a little inconvenient
    Really? All you have to do is right click on the project and click set startup

If that is to inconvenient then how do you manage to boot the PC start the IDE and load the project? I mean that is a lot more effort and takes far longer than 2 simple clicks.

DataMiser,

He-he :)

However, not 2 but 3 clicks :)
    Reassign, Run, Reassign back again.
    And this third click... I constantly forget to do it :)
    And you forgot about it too :)

Moreover, yes, it's not at all difficult! (without irony)
    But it was this simplicity that led me into embarrassment, and I was forced to ask the experts - maybe I just did not find it - such suggestive itself functional ...