dcsimg

Class MSForms.ScrollBar of control vsc was not a loaded control class.

I am maintaining a legacy application. When I open one of the projects in Visual Basic 6.0 (the right version for it) on my Windows 7 computer (which is what I got), the log file says
    Code:
    Class MSForms.ScrollBar of control vsc was not a loaded control class.
    Any suggestions?

Frenzied Member

Re: Class MSForms.ScrollBar of control vsc was not a loaded control class.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Thanks, jdc. I already tried that, but I'm not sure it's the right solution. Please see my earlier question and the responses at http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...not-registered.

Hi tharpa,

I suspect all of us, at one time or another, have messed with the controls in the FM20.DLL. I know that I have way back many years ago when I didn't know other ways to get Unicode into a TextBox. However, (and I'll just speak for myself, but I strongly suspect we've all been down a similar dead-end road) these controls just don't work well with VB6. In my experience, there were all kinds of problems with getting the focus on the correct control, and also correctly managing the carat. For me, it was a mess. Others have also reported out-of-memory errors when they use those controls.

Also, there are licensing issues with the FM20.DLL. It's my understanding that it's not to be distributed. Therefore, unless it's already on the machine, you can't legally copy it and attempt to get it running on other machines.

I'm sorry, but I believe the best advice is to spend a bit of time and rework your application, getting rid of those controls. I know that may sound like a huge deal, but I suspect it'll pay off in the long run. How about doing a search of your .FRM files and tell us how many occurrences there are. It may be easiest to do this with Notepad (or maybe NP++) and just search for them. I don't remember how the library name is referenced in a .FRM file, but they should be easy to spot.

And, because of these reasons, I suspect that's why you're struggling to get others to respond with a solution to your question.

Best of Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I'm sorry, but I believe the best advice is to spend a bit of time and rework your application, getting rid of those controls. I know that may sound like a huge deal, but I suspect it'll pay off in the long run. How about doing a search of your .FRM files and tell us how many occurrences there are.
    I did a search of the application, and I see three references, two in the project I'm working on. We aren't distributing it outside of the company, all machines should have office on them. As it turns out, I'll be moving on in two weeks anyway, and the application should be retired in a few months beyond that anyway. So I don't know if I'll be able to figure out how to replace the controls in the interim.