Thread: Live visual basic chat rooms?

Live visual basic chat rooms?

Hello, I am new to visual basic, am sort of picking it up as a hobby.

Can anyone recomend a good place to get quick answers to really basic VB questions. I am sure the forums are a good place but I suspect that answers will be quite slow.

I was thinking an online chatroom or a well known IRC channel?

Thanks!

Re: Live visual basic chat rooms?

you probably want slower answers... you're going to want answers from several different people with different experiences and not just who happens to be online at that moment. Plus, you might be surprised at how quickly you can get answers on here...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Welcome to the forums.

If you are picking it up as a hobby, whats your hurry?

Most importantly, you don't really expect us to tell a member of our site to go elsewhere do you?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Eldar View Post
    I am sure the forums are a good place but I suspect that answers will be quite slow
    Why don't you just try asking a VB associated Question and see what happens ?

PowerPoster

The first step is making sure you understand what you are asking about. There is only one VB, and that's classic VB which ended at VB 6.0.

There are also the closely related VBA, the less closely related VBScript, and the only distantly related VB.Net. Microsoft has not helped anyone by trying to hide the ".Net" part of the latter in their recent efforts to market the product.

People are often mislead by the way these different things were named similarly, and getting it right is important in helping you get an answer more quickly.

Oh geez, 4 replies already, I think I stand corrected on my assumption that forums are slow.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    The first step is making sure you understand what you are asking about.
    Perhaps you can help me here. I am using the visual basic that comes with microsoft word 2003. Is think that is VBA? Also I think my version is 6.5 or according to the 'about visual basic' under 'help'

Version: 1053
    Retail: VBA 6.5.1053

So since this part of the fourms is only for VB up to Version 6 I think I am actually posting my question in the wrong place. Ill try finding the right place under a VBA subforum, then all you fine people can have a crack at answering my question. Thanks for all the feedback so far.

it's VBA version 6.5 ... and has nothing to do with VB6.0... the version numbers of VB and VBA are independant of each other. what you want is the forum marked "Office Development". I'll ask a mod to move the thread.

-tg

edit - actually, I'll ask this thread to be moved to general developer as it isnt' development specific. Post further questions you have regarding VBA in the Office Development forum.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thanks, I have posted an indeapth thread explaining my exact problem, it can be found here in case you are interested:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...41#post4114441

I think this thread can be deleted rather than moved :-)

P.S: in case any of you get the chance to reply to this before it is deleted/moved, does anyone have the problem of not being able to use any of the tools in the message posting box? Cant insert pictures, links, bullet points etc. Let me know if this is a common problem or if its just me.

It's better to move posts/threads than delete them... that way others can learn too... as for the tools problem... not sure what you mean by not being able to use them? they are javascript based, so if you've disabled it, they may not work... it's also possible it could be related to your post count... somethings maybe disabled until you reach a certain count (like 10 or so).

-tg

Ah that might be it.

Thanks ;-)

Some parts of this forum are frequented by lots of people. Questions posted in those forums will get answered very quickly. The quality of the answer often depends on the clarity and detail in the question, or else TG will ask you about eels in your hovercraft.

However, there are parts of this forum that are visited very infrequently. Taking a look at the number of threads is one indication (don't expect to get ASM questions answered fast), as well as the number of active users, but the basic rule is that some places will give you answers in minutes (General Programming and the main VB forums), other forums will take a day (Math, Databases), while others might take even longer. Hard to say.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

And another thing.

While this is sometimes seen as a politcally incorrect thing to suggest, spending the time to Read That Fine Manual can save you hours sitting around waiting for a forum answer to something already documented. Probably 50% or more questions by volume can be answered by looking there, but if you have never made the investment in time the manual makes a big haystack.

That said, Office VBA doesn't really offer the docs in a format easy to browse from cover to cover. They're there though:

Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor (Alt-F11)

... and then in there Help|Microsoft Visual Basic Help (F1)

Spending the time to browse all of that material once can save hours and hours later on. I'm serious, this isn't just a blow-off.

Hmm interesting. I just signed up. Im pretty impressed with the responses you've gotten. Can't wait for my post to be approved.

Hello all,

today is my first day.

Looks very interesting. However, am a newbie (as my name suggests) still learning the basics -- loops , if else statements, counters etc.

How advance are you guys, I mean I am the very beginning. Can I ask how to add a counter to a loop for example?

thanks,

Prime

First, it depends on which language. If you are just starting out, it's likely either VB.NET or C#. Start a new thread in the forum for the language you are using with the question. It's best to keep it to one question per thread, even if that means multiple threads.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Seriously, if you are just starting, it's better to jump straight too vb.net instead of the archaic languages vb6 and vba...
    Arve K.

Please mark your thread as resolved and add reputation to those who helped you solve your problem
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional programmer

As a new person to a programming language, we ask that you do a quick search for questions and answers that have already been asked and posted. If you can't find the answer you are looking for, then post your questions.

Thanks and good luck!!!!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------